Dangers of low calorie diets - link

Options

Replies

• Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    My endocrineologist put me on a 1000-1200 cal diet initially, but after losing my gallbladder and losin 30lbs in a month and a half she raised my calorie level.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    LOL at this site (mentioned by the OP)
    Losing weight by following a sensible weight loss regimen will more likely result in long-term success in keeping the weight off.

Then at the top of the page...
    3 Day Miracle Diet

This 3 days miracle diet will not only help you to lose weight fast, but also.....

i get those ads on MFP as well.
    stupid fake weight loss ads are everywhere.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but there are plenty of instances where a low calorie way of eating is applicable and healthy.

With the obesity rate where it is at, the majority of human beings have plenty of fat to spare where a low calorie way of eating IS the way to go.

Of course someone with 25 pounds or less to lose would not want to eat low calorie, but the remainder of overweight people will do just fine eating low calorie.

No need to get all in a frenzy about it.

Eating too little is just as dangerous as over eating or maybe worse. That's all I'm saying.

Like I stated, someone with little to lose and it only a bit over weight, I agree with you.

Someone that is obese (30 pounds or more over weight) or morbidly obese a low calorie diet is not going to compromise anyone's health because there is a LOT of body fat to lose in the first place which can be used as energy.

That is the whole point, to use the stored fat as energy.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    no white powders

i don't even want to know what you were eating. drugs?!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do however get so offended when people say everyone who does is starving

That applies to 99% of the people. You may have a rare condition that limits you to certain foods or certain calories but those are 'supervised'. And 'rare'.

There are many teenagers on this site, some even younger than 18 on perfectly healthy weight, whose bodies are still not done with growing up and who will screw their bodies up in pursue of 'seeing bones'.

Do you think people should ignore that and act as if it's completely normal to live on a calorie intake of a 6 year old on a site where you tick a box and put the age you want?

Did I say it's normal to live on a calorie intake of a 6 year old? No. I did not.

My point is not everyone needs the same amount of calories. I tracked my food for over a year and only on a few holidays did I ever get anywhere close to eating what most people consider their low calorie goal. But then again, I'm not eating dessert and fast food. I don't have anything with gluten and the only dairy I have would be small amounts of cheese.

My point is that everyone is quick to jump all over anyone not eating what they consider to be the right amount. What I came on and made a blanket statement that most people on here are going to die of heart disease because they eat too much fat? Or should I point out that too many people are using intense workouts to cram another 1000 calories of crap food in their mouths? Why not? It's not healthy. They are still hurting their bodies by stuffing their faces with double cheeseburgers and fries and milkshakes every day. Do I jump all over people when they tell someone half their size to eat more and it doesn't matter if they exercise? No.

I have looked through all my friends diaries and the only ones losing weight are the ones eating healthy foods. The ones who are not obsessed with calories. We all eat tons of food every day and are fine. I did have one young girl send me a few messages and I made it clear I'm trying to starve myself and told her she needed to eat more and seek help in some way. She was terrified to go over 600 calories. That is an eating disorder. Honestly from what she said I don't think she is overweight to begin with.

No one should tell anyone to go as low as possible but it's just as bad to encourage someone to keep increasing calories when they are already eating 1800 to 2500 a day and complaining they can't lose weight even though they are exercising. I see it all the time. Why can't someone tell them to look at the food log and try to make healthier choice?

I'm out.

I think you are taking this too personal. I'm yet to see one person like you on boards. More than half are aforementioned teenagers and the rest are "help I can't eat 1200 calories, I'm too full", actually asking for help to eat more while drinking a considerable amount of water and eating a basket of vegetables. So no, I don't consider any "right amount" but the examples I've run into were nowhere near to decide the right amount for themselves. I never said anyone to eat at least 1200 calories but I did say people to eat more because in most cases telling them to stick to what they're doing will degrade to a more serious problem for them.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    The important thing to note first are the recommended minimum calories for men and women (1500 and 1200, respectively). The vast majority of time, and individual will not lose weight at these levels is because their metabolism is slowed down too much. This is generally due to lack of exercise.

Example:
    A woman east about 1200 calories a day, every day, and never cheats. She doesn't lose any weight. She starts to exercise, burning about 300 calories a day, and also increases her caloric intake to 1500 (1200 plus the 300 for exercise). Odds are, she will start to lose weight. Two things have happened: she is forcing her body to do extra work, and her body is realizing extra calories. Both of these will help boost the metabolism.

If you are eating under 1000 calories per day, I would strongly suggest you speak to your doctor about your diet. Unfortunately, most of the people who eat under 1000 calories are guaranteed to gain wait if they eat more ... temporarily. This is because, after getting too few calories for so long, the metabolism has dropped too low. Increasing your intake with this low metabolism is going to put on the pounds. But it's a temporary problem that can be over come.

And to the poster who suggested those of us who exercise so we can eat more, but make poor eating decisions: please take a look at my diary. It is not perfect, and you'll see me eating Pizza at least once each month. But the bulk of my eating decisions are good.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but there are plenty of instances where a low calorie way of eating is applicable and healthy.

With the obesity rate where it is at, the majority of human beings have plenty of fat to spare where a low calorie way of eating IS the way to go.

Of course someone with 25 pounds or less to lose would not want to eat low calorie, but the remainder of overweight people will do just fine eating low calorie.

Eating too little is just as dangerous as over eating or maybe worse. That's all I'm saying.

Like I stated, someone with little to lose and it only a bit over weight, I agree with you.

Someone that is obese (30 pounds or more over weight) or morbidly obese a low calorie diet is not going to compromise anyone's health because there is a LOT of body fat to lose in the first place which can be used as energy.

Or wait... Nvm lol
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Disagree here. It is much easier for an obese person to lose weight, and there is no need for extreme diets. The facts are that your body actually burns more calories simply because you are obese ... good news for obese people! :)

When you are working on those last pounds, it becomes very difficult. Even then, eating too low is not a good idea. It takes patience and time.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    The important thing to note first are the recommended minimum calories for men and women (1500 and 1200, respectively). The vast majority of time, and individual will not lose weight at these levels is because their metabolism is slowed down too much. This is generally due to lack of exercise.

Example:
    A woman east about 1200 calories a day, every day, and never cheats. She doesn't lose any weight. She starts to exercise, burning about 300 calories a day, and also increases her caloric intake to 1500 (1200 plus the 300 for exercise). Odds are, she will start to lose weight. Two things have happened: she is forcing her body to do extra work, and her body is realizing extra calories. Both of these will help boost the metabolism.

If you are eating under 1000 calories per day, I would strongly suggest you speak to your doctor about your diet. Unfortunately, most of the people who eat under 1000 calories are guaranteed to gain wait if they eat more ... temporarily. This is because, after getting too few calories for so long, the metabolism has dropped too low. Increasing your intake with this low metabolism is going to put on the pounds. But it's a temporary problem that can be over come.

And to the poster who suggested those of us who exercise so we can eat more, but make poor eating decisions: please take a look at my diary. It is not perfect, and you'll see me eating Pizza at least once each month. But the bulk of my eating decisions are good.

I don't know how to get working out if I can't even start. I'm too weak for my strength training and I get tired easily with cardio now. If I eat more but can't perform any strength training, it'll only be stored as fat, right? I don't know how to get through a strength workout now without feeling crappy during and after.
  • xarge
    Options
    I don't know how to get working out if I can't even start. I'm too weak for my strength training and I get tired easily with cardio now. If I eat more but can't perform any strength training, it'll only be stored as fat, right? I don't know how to get through a strength workout now without feeling crappy during and after.

No you won't add more body fat while you're on a deficit. What kind of strength training do you want to do? Go with carrying your own body first. Do lunges, squats, crunches. Do as much as you can. You can do 5? That's good, you can do 6 in a few days. Everyone goes through progress and you need to go through that as well. I can't even do one pull-up yo save my life. That doesn't mean I'll ever stop trying to get there. It's your body and you have the control over it.
  • ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    just finished 10 weeks and lost 50lbs,,,glad I never read that arcticle till now,,,
    look up Dr. Bernstein,he must have it all wrong???

I wonder how much of that was body fat and how much was lean muscle? Also whats your calorie count now? 50 lbs in 10 weeks is really fast and I dont want any part of it. Weight like that comes back and bring more lbs with it.

Rapid weight loss brought on by a severely restricted caloric intake can also increase your cholesterol levels. This puts a strain on your heart, causing it to work harder

blood work perfect,heart rate perfect,dropped pressure pill by half likely going to stop taking it,still as strong as before,haters gonna hate,,lol
  • ricky_j_b
    Options
    just finished 10 weeks and lost 50lbs,,,glad I never read that arcticle till now,,,

fact is he has an add on the link you provided,lmao

you may have lost 50lbs in 10 weeks but you now need to keep that off and maintain , because you went very low you will have to do it at a lower rate then if you had done it more slowly in the first place i hope you do manage it , but i doubt it ,

just finshed first 10 days of maintainance,lost another 1 1/5lbs,eating all the salad I want now,,,,
  • ricky_j_b
    Options

And when you'll start eating normally you'll gain 75 lbs even easier ..
    It's a very interesting articles, I wish people would be more careful with their health instead of looking for shortcuts (I'm talking about people going under 400 calories because of their lack of knowledge not people with food disorder)

Edit : big spelling mistake .. :o

If I had been eating properly for the last 30yrs,there would of been no need for a diet,lol,normaly is relevent,,WOL is my new lifestyle,way of life,,,,
  • alexbusnello
    Options

No you won't add more body fat while you're on a deficit. What kind of strength training do you want to do? Go with carrying your own body first. Do lunges, squats, crunches. Do as much as you can. You can do 5? That's good, you can do 6 in a few days. Everyone goes through progress and you need to go through that as well. I can't even do one pull-up yo save my life. That doesn't mean I'll ever stop trying to get there. It's your body and you have the control over it.

Mostly body weight but I have 5lbs and 7.5lbs dumbbells I work with, too. I also have a stretchy band, Swiss ball, two extremely light weighted balls, yoga mat and if course, body weight.

I'd like to know how to start eating more without gaining anymore fat. I desperately need more muscles and get lean again. I use to eat 500 or a bit more for breakfast when I maintained my lean muscles while doing basic workouts and cardio but ever since I did that intense Bodyrock program months ago, I ate less for breakfast - 300, sometimes 400. Even before the program I ate less. I didn't change my eating to support my training so I ended up like this....

I believe this site is also to blame for how I am. I've become way too obsessed about numbers. Before I just ate how much I felt my body needed and I had the occasional treat. Now i very very rarely treat myself and I'm afraid to eat a certain amount now. I'm trying to eat healthier, but the numbers aren't enough for me apparently.
  • ricky_j_b
    Options
    Dr. Bernstein is the one with the low carb diabetic diet plan? He has clinics where patients are monitored.

I think his plan is to help people with an immediate need and then learn healthy eating.

People, on any diet plan, will gain the weight back if they don't learn to eat healthy. Why is that so hard to understand?

BINGO,I had blood work every other week,3 visits to a nurse each week and doc visit every 3 weeks,,,,WOL is now my goal,,,
  • xarge
    Options
    Mostly body weight but I have 5lbs and 7.5lbs dumbbells I work with, too. I also have a stretchy band, Swiss ball, two extremely light weighted balls, yoga mat and if course, body weight.

I'd like to know how to start eating more without gaining anymore fat. I desperately need more muscles and get lean again. I use to eat 500 or a bit more for breakfast when I maintained my lean muscles while doing basic workouts and cardio but ever since I did that intense Bodyrock program months ago, I ate less for breakfast - 300, sometimes 400. Even before the program I ate less. I didn't change my eating to support my training so I ended up like this....

I don't know what's your daily totals now but increase gradually. Food does not turn into fat as soon as you eat it. Food does not turn into fat if you skip breakfasts. Food does not turn into fat if you eat all of your food right before going to bed.

You need to give your body the fuel it needs so that it can support you. You won't gain any fat unless you eat more than you burn. Get that bad gaining fat image out of your mind. People don't gain fat mass while eating healthy and exercising. You don't even need to eat at a deficit. Maintenance won't cause you gain body fat on a healthy diet.

You're stronger than that fear ;)

ETA: Yes, keep the numbers as a remainder, not as a die hard guideline.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

I don't know what's your daily totals now but increase gradually. Food does not turn into fat as soon as you eat it. Food does not turn into fat if you skip breakfasts. Food does not turn into fat if you eat all of your food right before going to bed.

You need to give your body the fuel it needs so that it can support you. You won't gain any fat unless you eat more than you burn. Get that bad gaining fat image out of your mind. People don't gain fat mass while eating healthy and exercising. You don't even need to eat at a deficit. Maintenance won't cause you gain body fat on a healthy diet.

You're stronger than that fear ;)

ETA: Yes, keep the numbers as a remainder, not as a die hard guideline.

Thank you for the helpful kinds words. And what do you mean about the numbers as a reminder and not a hard guideline?

Although, the skipping any meal thing is not good to do... Especially breakfast.
  • ricky_j_b
    Options

I want to know how many calories you eat, and if you are working out. Mine are 1200 with minimal workout.
    On average 450 a day with no working out, strict food groups... check my diary. Two shots of vitamin B6 and one of B12 a week, all part of the program.
    I have been in maintenance for 10 days eating about 800 a day I have always maintained 10,000 steps a day and I am now doing 20,000, no other exercise at the present time.
    Last Saturday I walked up a mountain with my wife, 2 1/2 hours up and 1 1/2 down. I will start a formal training program in the next few months.
  • xarge
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful kinds words. And what do you mean about the numbers as a reminder and not a hard guideline?

Although, the skipping any meal thing is not good to do... Especially breakfast.

Forget about calories. How much lbs do you aim to lose? I'm guessing none, it's just the body fat percentage you want to drop, right? Then for a healthy diet you need to watch your macronutrients, you should eat to reach that protein/carbohydrate and fat goal because that's what your body needs. You won't lose that body fat if you can't meet its expectations while you exercise.

Breakfast is not my cup of coffee so I always did ;) What I meant was that you wouldn't store your dinner as fat if you ate all of your daily goals during dinner.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

Forget about calories. How much lbs do you aim to lose? I'm guessing none, it's just the body fat percentage you want to drop, right? Then for a healthy diet you need to watch your macronutrients, you should eat to reach that protein/carbohydrate and fat goal because that's what your body needs. You won't lose that body fat if you can't meet its expectations while you exercise.

Breakfast is not my cup of coffee so I always did ;) What I meant was that you wouldn't store your dinner as fat if you ate all of your daily goals during dinner.

Well, muscle weighs more than fat does so I'll most likely weigh more once I start building muscle. I know once I figure out how to, the fat will come off quickly and I can have my body back again...

I'm not even sure how much I weight right now but I'll ask my exact height and weight on Friday at the doctors. I just put im 110lbs but my grandmas scale says I'm 106.... Ours at home is broken so I don't trust it anymore.

I'll be talking to him about how concerned I am about the muscle loss even though he already said I'm fine but I know I'm not. I'm talking to him again about it and how I've been feeling. I hope he doesn't suggest a therapist or something.