Retaining LBM

Options
Was just crunching some number after reading a "lose fat gain muscle" thread. Like others I thought I was gaining some muscle and losing fat when I first started. And I very well could have been according to most people that is possible for new lifters. But very quickly the mass gains stopped and I lost the majority of my weight without any new muscle. Not surprised as I know that is not very likely to happen anyways. I knew adding muscle was not a real possibility while on a deficit but I was hoping that I could maintain a large portion of my existing muscle. I think I have but just want your opinions on my numbers.

SW 210ish with 28% BF (according to my bathroom scale w/ BF tester and tape measurements this is my best guess).
CW 162 with 16% BF

28% BF at 210 gives me 58.8 lbs of fat and 151.2 LBM
16% BF at 162 gives me 25.6 lbs of fat and 136.4 LBM

I understand you lose some supporting LBM when you lose fat but do you think these numbers are typical. I ate a good amount of protein and lifted weight along with some cardio the whole time. My calorie deficit was set to about -500.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Was just crunching some number after reading a lose fat gain muscle thread. Like others I thought I was gaining some muscle and losing fat when I first started. And I very well could have been according to most people that is possible for new lifters. But very quickly the mass gains stopped and I lost the majority of my weight without any new muscle. Not surprised as I know that is not very likely to happen anyways. I knew adding muscle was not a real possibility while on a deficit but I was hoping that I could maintain a large portion of my existing muscle. I think I have but just want your opinions on my numbers.

SW 210ish with 28% BF (according to my bathroom scale w/ BF tester and tape measurements this is my best guess).
    CW 162 with 16% BF

I understand you lose some supporting LBM when you lose fat but do you think these numbers are typical. I ate a good amount of protein and lifted weight along with some cardio the whole time. My calorie deficit was set to about -500.

So you lost about 33 lbs of fat and 15 lbs of muscle. A little better than a 2/1 ratio. Probably about the norm. I'd be interested in what some of the pros might say if they join in the discsussion.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Um. You look damn good.

Wait. What was the question?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Rae, for the love of pete, try to focus here will ya?? LOL
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I understand you lose some supporting LBM when you lose fat but do you think these numbers are typical.

Probably, yes. I started around 235, but the first recorded BF % for me was at 200 lbs at 32.4%

32.4% BF at 200 is 64.8 lbs of fat and 135.2 LBM
    23.4% BF at 150 is 35.1 lbs of fat and 114.9 LBM

I did a lot of strength training for the past year, but also did a ton of cardio (ran my first half marathon in June). I also tried to up my protein intake.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Would be nice if the LBM weight had stayed up around 150 but as long as this is a typical result I am happy. : ) Just glad someone didnt say "damn dude you screwed yourself somehow" lol
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Um. You look damn good.

Wait. What was the question?

:blushing:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

I understand you lose some supporting LBM when you lose fat but do you think these numbers are typical.

Probably, yes. I started around 235, but the first recorded BF % for me was at 200 lbs at 32.4%

32.4% BF at 200 is 64.8 lbs of fat and 135.2 LBM
    23.4% BF at 150 is 35.1 lbs of fat and 114.9 LBM

I did a lot of strength training for the past year, but also did a ton of cardio (ran my first half marathon in June). I also tried to up my protein intake.

BTW amazing job on your weight loss. :drinker:
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    15lbs of muscle loss seems a lot to lose to me. But I'm not expert.
  • vegamy
    Options
    Thanks. Would be nice if the LBM weight had stayed up around 150 but as long as this is a typical result I am happy. : ) Just glad someone didnt say "damn dude you screwed yourself somehow" lol

Haha yeah I know! It's tough when you're trying to lose weight too. My ultimate goal is 20% BF, but I keep losing LBM as well as fat :-(. I think you're doing great!
  • vegamy
    Options
    BTW amazing job on your weight loss. :drinker:

Thank you!!!! :-)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Bump
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Those bathroom scales are largely inaccurate and the results can change a lot given on how much you ate and your hydration level. Maybe take readings over the course of a week and then average them out? Of course that doesn't account for your starting weight.

Personally I have an "okay" BIA thingie and over the course of about a year I lost almost 70lbs and gained 2.5lbs of LBM which seems about right. I think as you get leaner you really start to risk losing LBM though.

Having said all of that, I doubt you lost that much. A lot of times you see figures of 20% muscle and 80% fat as part of your total weight loss. According to your figures, 30% of your loss was LBM which seems high if you were working out hard and took in lots of protein.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Those bathroom scales are largely inaccurate and the results can change a lot given on how much you ate and your hydration level. Maybe take readings over the course of a week and then average them out? Of course that doesn't account for your starting weight.

Personally I have an "okay" BIA thingie and over the course of about a year I lost almost 70lbs and gained 2.5lbs of LBM which seems about right. I think as you get leaner you really start to risk losing LBM though.

Having said all of that, I doubt you lost that much. A lot of times you see figures of 20% muscle and 80% fat as part of your total weight loss. According to your figures, 30% of your loss was LBM which seems high if you were working out hard and took in lots of protein.

That's why it seems like a lot to me. I know people that do lots of cardio, have poor eating habits, and generally do extreme dieting can lose muscle like that, but not someone who is eating properly and lifting.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

That's why it seems like a lot to me. I know people that do lots of cardio, have poor eating habits, and generally do extreme dieting can lose muscle like that, but not someone who is eating properly and lifting.

I agree. At the end of the day, does it really matter? You look great; lean and muscular. I wouldn't let some arbitrary numbers bother you. Worst case, start a bulk cycle ;)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Thanks guys. Im not too worried about it. Not like I could do anything about it anyways. lol And like you said my BF numbers could be off. I was just interested because there are soo many threads about losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. I dont believe that is possible but I did think I would have held on to more mass than my numbers were showing.

Bulk starts next month on the one year anniversary of me starting the weight loss. Gonna try to bulk for the fall and winter and then see where I am.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Was just crunching some number after reading a "lose fat gain muscle" thread. Like others I thought I was gaining some muscle and losing fat when I first started. And I very well could have been according to most people that is possible for new lifters. But very quickly the mass gains stopped and I lost the majority of my weight without any new muscle. Not surprised as I know that is not very likely to happen anyways. I knew adding muscle was not a real possibility while on a deficit but I was hoping that I could maintain a large portion of my existing muscle. I think I have but just want your opinions on my numbers.

CW 162 with 16% BF

Are you sure you're only 16% BF? I would've guessed a little lower than that, at least 10%.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump. Good stuff here.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I thought the lean muscle loss was a little higher than I would have projected, but all in all it's about how you look and feel. I think you look really good (no homo).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^This.

The 80/20 is my understanding also, but as noted also, this is more of an average and would likely be a lower LBM loss if you are lifting, getting enough protein etc.

The inacccuracies in a BIA could mean that you have lost a lot less than the 31% or so the calculations come out to be, which seems to be more likely imo. I also agree with JNick that you look to be lower than 16% (although eyeballing is not exactly an accurate measure either!) .

Edited to fix typo.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options

CW 162 with 16% BF

I had similiar results... Unfornately back in january i entered a constest at my gym for 8 weeks, lost too much too fast and suffered too much LBM loss... Its taken me from March to now to regain my strength and most of my LBM back... I even won first place in my Age division and gender...But I will never do that again... The loss of LBM and time spent rebuilding it back is not worth the quick loss. Well that and i have great deal more knowledge for nutrition now to know better.