Where are my 5-ft friends?!

Options
I need some other people to compare to/maybe motivate me more! I am exactly 5'0, I'm a little one haha! I used to weight 118-120 and was comfortable with my weight, and I got up to 138 and was EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. Yuck. So far I'm back down to 128 and I've just begin. My goal is/was 115lbs, and I plan on gaining muscle and toning up, but I'm just wondering should I aim for a lower weight? I've seen 5'1 or 5'2 people weight less than that...so maybe I should aim closer to 100?!

Replies

• rberry313
    rberry313 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Even though we are already friends, I thought I would just respond and I'm also interested in what other people's opinions are with this topic. I'm barely 5'1, currently weigh around 130 and at first, I was considering stopping when I hit 115. But, about four months ago, I was around 120 and in my opinion, I still looked the same as I do now (the weight on the scale doesn't look the same though), so I'm also wondering how much of a difference those last 15 pounds would make. I'm also not sure if I should tone and lose weight simultaneously, or lose about 10 pounds and then start toning.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and a 1/2, currently 107-109 pounds depending on the day. I'd like to get to 100-105.
  • TeamNoExcuses
    Options
    Hey. I'm almost 5"2" and 116 and I personally want to be down to 102-105. It's a matter of having the body we want and also our frame. I have a naturally small frame. For a person with a larger frame at my height 102-105 would probably be verging on unhealthy. Just don't go below your BMI.

You may weigh 95-128 and maintain a healthy Body Mass Index at your height of 5"0". 94lbs is considered underweight at your height and 130 is overweight, for example. So I'd aim for the average of the highest and lowest healthy weights (95 & 128 in your case) . So that is about 111 lbs. So your goal of 115lbs is absolutely fine. I say stick with 110-115lbs.
  • princesscaandi1
    Options
    Hi im 5ft 3ish and weigh apparently 143 pounds. Happily my body fat is actually low i am just curvy (im mixed race half jamaican half english) but still the amount of my weight does get me down. Im a size 10-12 but lately i have been feeling like a whale =( i dont know wether this is because ive just got out of an unhappy relationship, and he mentioned it to me when he last saw me, or wether i actually am getting fat.

I cant ask my friends or family because they'll always say no so they dont upset me, i dont want to be skinny my bodyframe would never allow that and ive been there before it really didnt suit me, but this spare tyre around my belly and that little pouch bit if you know what i mean, its getting me down.

Any tips on how to lose love handle and pouches quickly? And a double chin and stretch marks lol

Thanks

Very unhappy 21 year old student
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0", but since I have 100 pounds of LBM, if I weighed 100 pounds I'd be dead! Everyone's build and frame is different so I would just figure out what's best for you :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and would kill to be as "fat" as you guys are! I haven't seen 135lbs in 17 years!

I am tentatively aiming for 145 even though I know that that is 10# into the "overweight" zone...
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' as well and seem to be tipping the scales in this thread since my starting weight was 202. While a lot of people can do a weight near 100, I've always had a heavy muscular build and used to be a size 2/4 at 120 pounds, so that's about where I'm aiming now. Can't say what you should set as your goal since it varies by the individual; try setting smaller goals (every 5 pounds for example) and evaluate as you go.
  • catcufflings
    Options
    id like to be around 55-60kilos but im so big now that i feel at that weight id be just a saggy piece of mess. so i think i'll go with 70kilos lol hopefully that is okay.

im around 161cms (5'2)
  • jonimiki
    Options
    I'm 5ft and just started with mfp. I'm at 122-124 lbs hoping to lose about 12-15 lbs. I dont' know about everyone here but if i put on just a couple of pounds I feel it right away in my jeans. I am 50 years old and my problem is making more time to exercise. I really feel good about mfp and I believe it is helping me with my bad snacking habits. Also great to know to have a great support system.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1/2 in, have a small frame and weigh 105pds., and my body fat was 18% the last time I had it checked. As others have said, it all depends on your frame and what is comfortable on you. It also depends on where you carry your weight and how it is distributed.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Don't let others' goals influence you. You said you felt happy/confident at 118..so why would you aim for 18 pounds less than that? You're 5'0...based on what you've already said I don't think 100 pounds is appropriate for you. I say reassess once you reach your initial goal and just realize that everyone is different and holds their weight differently so 100 on one person might be very very different than 100 on you.
  • asolano7
    asolano7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1/2" and currently 134. My goal is between 120-125 - I think that's a reasonable goal for me right now, but ideally I'd love to get down to 115. I know what you mean about knowing there are girls out there our height who weigh more like 100 - but for my body frame, I don't think it would be healthy. I think it's all dependent on your shape and the density/size of your bone structure - I think 115 is a great goal! I'm going to add you as a friend if you don't mind - hopefully we can keep each other motivated!
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    5'1.5" here and just reached my 112 lb goal. :)

I find that I can get up to 116-118 lbs without having to go up a size in clothes.

I can't imagine dropping below 110. I'd starve!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    It depends on your frame size on how much you should weigh. I am 5' 2" and currently weigh 126; I look and feel the best at ~ 118 wearing a size 2. My size 2s are a little snug on me right now and I'm only interested in getting them comfortable again. If I drop too much my 2s will no longer fit and I will no longer look "good" but too skinny.

Don't focus so much on how much you weigh b/c if you are interested in toning...muscle weighs more than fat, but it is more dense...it takes up less space, so you will be small. In the end, you are looking to be "smaller" and hopefully to be healthier, so keep your focus on that and your weight will follow.
  • SaraSillyRainbow
    Options
    Hi I'm 5'1'' and my highest weight was 149LBS. I am now at 130 :-) I'm aiming to be at 100-110-- but I don't really care if I hit the exact weight, my optimal goal is to have a low body fat percentage and feel great in a bikini.

Weight loss is great but fat loss is my ultimate goal.
  • WordNerdChris
    Options
    I'm 5' tall and 125 lbs. My heaviest was 132 lbs and it took me 18 months to lose 16 lbs with Weight Watchers. I couldn't maintain 116 lbs but settled at 120 lbs, which they said was fine because I work out. But I started a new job in January and there's always treats around! I've gained 5 lbs and am having a hard time getting it off even though I've increased my work outs. I'm naturally curvy so I'll never be skinny. I just hate seeing all my progress slip away.
  • princesscaandi1
    Options
    Wow :drinker: how did u lose so much? i really hate seeing my weight it depresses me. Im not lazy i walk alot, but im realising i dont eat enough im always left with 600kcal left to fill in my RDA. Any tips for me?:happy:
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and looked great at 125. I got up to about 160 and have gotten back down to 135 or so (I weigh myself once a week, at the most).

Everyone's body is different. You have to go with what works for you, not what works for someone else. Be honest with yourself, and don't compare your bodyweight to someone else's. If you felt confident at 115 or so, aim for that.

Also, if you want to tone up, start now. And don't be afraid to lift heavy and really push your muscles to their limits. I lift "heavy" (as heavy as I can, 3 sets at 6-8 reps) and I'm not getting bulky, but my arms are looking amazing. You can do it!

Good luck!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    Options
    Hi im 5ft 3ish and weigh apparently 143 pounds. Happily my body fat is actually low i am just curvy (im mixed race half jamaican half english) but still the amount of my weight does get me down. Im a size 10-12 but lately i have been feeling like a whale =( i dont know wether this is because ive just got out of an unhappy relationship, and he mentioned it to me when he last saw me, or wether i actually am getting fat.

I cant ask my friends or family because they'll always say no so they dont upset me, i dont want to be skinny my bodyframe would never allow that and ive been there before it really didnt suit me, but this spare tyre around my belly and that little pouch bit if you know what i mean, its getting me down.

Any tips on how to lose love handle and pouches quickly? And a double chin and stretch marks lol

Thanks

Very unhappy 21 year old student

Don't let some jerk take away your confidence first off. He apparently has issues and wanted to feel better about himself by putting you down and the first thing he knew would hurt you, was your weight (this is common for women).

Second - you cannot lose weight in a spot quickly. Your body is going to drop the weight how it drops the weight; sometimes that is over your whole body and sometimes it seems it drops some places quicker. I will make one suggestion on the "pounch" - cut the sugar and simple carbs (no white flour, white rice, white bread, white pasta, sugar, sugar substitutes) ; go low glycemic.

Here's a few sites to help you find your way on that:

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/lowglycemicfoodlist.htm

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

http://www.diabetesnet.com/food-diabetes/glycemic-index

Hope this helps you out.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    Options
    My highest weight was 152 and I was FAT at that weight; it took me 6 months to drop to 118 and I did it on a low glycemic index diet. It worked for me.