Runners: 5K, What's Your Time?

Options

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    21:37

I really only train for distance. Not sure what I think of 5ks. I'm getting more and more competitive in them, but I think I'd have to make it more of a focal point in my training if I wanted to win blue ribbons instead of yellow ones.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    24:45
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    Did my first race May 19th ( I had never ran in my life but stated losing weight and said I would give it a try, trained for 2 months) was hoping to be able to do it in under 36 minute and ended up doing it in 32.22 :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    20:10 in March when it was cool and 21:15 in July when it was hot. That was after about a year of running.
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a couple months now and have been working towards being in a 5K September 8th. I've never done anything like that before and am curious as to what times people complete it at. So what's your time for finishing?

I ran my first one in 38:55 in October 2011, my best official has been 28:34 last month.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    PR is 19:49 (6:22 pace), but I almost never race them any more.

My least favorite distance to race. A well raced 5k is wall to wall pain and there is almost no margin for error. Longer distances leave room for bad splits here and there.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I just started running in April. I ran my first 5k in July. I ran 35:42 and it was hot, I was so happy because I ran the whole thing. That was my goal.:smile:
    I have two more races in September. I checked out one of the courses today and I got scared. There are a lot of hills, I mean almost 2k+ of hills. I'm scared:noway:
    I checked all the forums out on 5ks. I learned so much from the people on MFP that I felt confident enough to run the 5k not knowing another soul running. I'm doing my next two solo as well. If I can do it, so can you:drinker:
    Good luck!

P.s. I run like a turtle. :smile:
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My least favorite distance to race. A well raced 5k is wall to wall pain and there is almost no margin for error. Longer distances leave room for bad splits here and there.

I'm so with you here. I've never actually raced a 5k and the only one I've ever done was in Disneyland and I spent most of it holding the hand of my 9 year old niece and walking. So, an hour? lol

I skipped the 5k and 10k and went straight to the half marathon as my first race. Later I did some 10ks. The pain in a well raced 10k is way more tolerable to me than a 5k, but just barely.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    20ish
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I've never raced a 5k but I will be running one next year. My best time so far is 26.25.

I recently ran my first ever race - 8k!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Lately around 30 min
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    PR is 19:49 (6:22 pace), but I almost never race them any more.

Well! I'm glad it's not just me. I tend to enjoy the whole experience, but I'm pretty miserable while I'm running.
  • saramariebabyy
    Options
    i ran one last week on thursday and ran it in 19:57. i run every single day though.
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ran that today at the gym in fact in 24:16! Not to bad since I couldn't even run a 10th of a mile 6 months ago :)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    27:34 was my best time.

But normally closer to 30, I average about a 10 min miles for distance running and 7:52 if I know it's just a mile. It depends on the temperature was well as how elevated where I'm running is.

The treadmill I do about 25.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My PR is 27:21. Hoping to get it down at least to 25!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My latest race (Aug 11th) was a 26:02! =)
  • Islandqueenfl
    Islandqueenfl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Worked my way from just under 40 min to 21:29
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My first 5k race I ran last September with a time of 35:48. My PR is 29:07. On my own, or on the treadmill I can run 3.1 miles in under 28 minutes. Road races are a lot more crowded, and I swear I run a whole other mile just dodging people.

Your goal should be to have fun, and finish it.

And be proud that you are doing it!
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options
    Slowest was 24:30 and my fastest was 20:10. Good luck on your next one!