Tell us about your pets!

Options
DawnOf1969
DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
I have a 5 year old chocolate lab/boxer. He is brindle and his name is Hershey. He is a very spunky, active dog with tons of energy. He is very smart and cand learn to do tricks quite easily. He can sit, situp, stand up, shake, high five, roll over, close his treat drawer, talk (I put the cell phone to his ear and he will bark if you say "talk") and other tricks. He has had seizures in the past but has been seizure free for a while. He is not on meds. He is very allergic to stuff. He has anaphalactic reactions if he gets insect bites/stings and his face swells up and he has to have steroids. He has had a lot of health issues but is currently doing great. He's very skittish of the vet though. He has to be sedated just for a nail clip! Some nights he sleeps with us in our king size bed, usually sprawling out, leaving us the edges, More recently, he has been sleeping on a blanket on the couch. He loves toys and makes it his mission to destroy the squeaker in any toy that squeaks within the first 5 minutes of possession. And toys with stuffing are out becaus he has the stuffing out within the first 5 minutes as well and then chokes on it. He is a great pal and companion and is a huge part of my life.

He has a dogster page here: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/632714 where you can see more about him!

Now, tell us about YOUR pet(s)!

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I have an eight year old rednose pitbull. His name is Capone, and he is slightly chubby just like the real Capone! He is the biggest baby in the world, and only looks frightening! I did have a female champagne rednose, her name was Nemesis, but they did not get along the older she got, just like a woman wanted all the attention for herself, so we had to give her to another loving home, which absolutely KILLED me:cry:
    But the bright side is Capone is in his glory now, and very happy and content once more to be the center of attention!
  • tazspastic
    tazspastic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old St. Bernard named Barney... He's a lil on the chubby side, but I've noticed that happens to the boys as they get older... He's a good dog though and is really good with the kids... he's a great big chicken actually :) Then I have 3 cats, Psycho-Ninja-Bat**** (we call her kitty, she's nuts), Buggertoo and Lyle. Lyle is a fat old man, I've had him for almost 7 years now, but Kitty and Buggertoo are new additions to the family. Oh... there are 3 horses out back too... Tool (... cuz he is one), Whisper and Champ. Wow... that sounds like I have a zoo living at my house, cuz there are 5 kids bouncing in 12 different directions too! I wonder if I am as sane as I manage to make people believe that I am!? :tongue:
  • MrsLovely7
    Options
    I have a 4 1/2 month Shih-Tzu named Ziggy and he's got the most adorable lil face ever!!
    He's got big eyes that just stare into your soul! He's very active and loves being cuddled with.
    He makes the cutest sound when he yaws and he's my little baby! =-)
  • smarie62
    Options
    I have 4 dogs: CoCo, a 9 yr. old Doberman/Aussie mix; TC, 11 yr old Lhasa/Keeshond mix; Bear, 22 month old Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix; and Turbo, 18 month old Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix. They like to sing together for no reason at all. The Dobie starts it, and everyone else just joins in. Very noisy, but also very cute!
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    Faerie88: Hershey is an only dog. We have tried walking him with my friend's dog and he just doesn't take kindly to being around other dogs. I've considered adding a dog to my family, but it wouldn't be fair to the new dog OR Hershey.

Spaztastic: wow, what a zoo you have! My daughter just went off to college this year, and my son is 16 so it's a lot easier now that they are older.

Smarie62: so cute that they all sing together! Hershey yowls when a siren is going by but other than that, he's pretty quiet.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I have two cats. A domestic long haired maie named Andre' who is pretty territorial and a big ole baby. The other cat, who is actually my son's cat, is a domestic short haired named Judy. If you look in the dictionary under scaredy cat, you'll see a pic of Judy. :bigsmile: They are both fatties and are senior citizens now.
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    Awww, I totally used to be a cat person. We moved a lot growing up and didn't have dogs. So I got cats. But now all I have is my dog. My husband is allergic to cats.
    Mommared53: Andre' and Judy sound amazing!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    i have a housefull of pets ... 3 year old german shepherd named alexis (great dog) ... 2 calico female cats .... named kylie and mocha .... a parrot named petey and saltwater fish
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I have a 4 year old toy pomeranian. Her name is Hershey and I have spoiled her rotten. I talked my husband into getting her when she was only 8 weeks old. She is all fluff and just recently got over 5 lbs. I thinnk of her as my baby and she knows she rules the house. Her favorite place to sleep is on my hubby's pillow and when he gets ready for bed they fight over it.
  • RaeBella13
    Options
    I have a 3 1/2 year old Golden Retriever named Tucker. I adopted him from the SPCA when he was 16 months--he came from an abusive and negligent home. Because of this, I've had to work hard with him on obedience....but he is one of the happiest dogs I've ever seen! I've had him for 2 years now and I can't even imagine my life without him. I bought my house right before I adopted him and he made my new house feel like a home immediately! He has a blue blankie that he is attached to...his nickname is Linus...he carries it around constantly. He can't have toys with stuffing in them because I'd have white fluff all over my house within minutes! He only eats his food when someone is in the kitchen with him...and he's the only dog I know that will choose to chew on, say for example, a bag clip instead of a tasty rawhide. My dog is always smiling and his tail is always wagging. He rarely barks....but when he does it's hard to get him to stop. His best friend is my sister's American Bulldog/Black Lab mix named Max--he's only 6 months...but basically the 2 of them together is the cutest thing ever! Tucker and I try to go on daily walks and he absolutely LOVES hiking when we go! I have pics on my profile :)
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I have 5 dogs, a min pin named Chloe Rae, she and I have an amazing bond, she has my heart!
    Chelsea Marie is a 13 yr old daschund/beagle mix, Amos Kong is a full blooded red dobie that weighs about 100lbs and is sooooo cool, Satin Lace is an Italian Greyhound and super sweet but only likes mom and dad, and Punk is an Italian Greyhound that loves everyone but he is very annoying. I have 2 cats, brother/sister Smokey & Dusty and a beta fish we call Frank in the Tank.

You can see pics of my dogs on my profile.

Memaw
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Down here in 'bama, we have two mini doxies - Kenzie, a 4 year old red doxie (with a red nose and nails - too cute!) and Teagan, a 2.5 year old black and tan who's about 3 pounds smaller than Kenz. They're so cute and cuddly and lovie, and are FABULOUS for a brisk hike around our hilly neighborhood!

At home in Virginia, I also have my German Shepherd (who my dad says is his ... just because we gave her to him for Christmas ...) who is probably 8 or 9 now. She's an amazing dog - Elka. Gotta love her! But also at home is my baby - Spot, an almost 11 year old Appendix (Quarter Horse Thoroughbred cross) who is a big, handsome man. As soon as law school is over, I will get to be with him again! I miss my baby ...
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    I have a 3 1/2 year old Golden Retriever named Tucker. I adopted him from the SPCA when he was 16 months--he came from an abusive and negligent home. Because of this, I've had to work hard with him on obedience....but he is one of the happiest dogs I've ever seen! I've had him for 2 years now and I can't even imagine my life without him. I bought my house right before I adopted him and he made my new house feel like a home immediately! He has a blue blankie that he is attached to...his nickname is Linus...he carries it around constantly. He can't have toys with stuffing in them because I'd have white fluff all over my house within minutes! He only eats his food when someone is in the kitchen with him...and he's the only dog I know that will choose to chew on, say for example, a bag clip instead of a tasty rawhide. My dog is always smiling and his tail is always wagging. He rarely barks....but when he does it's hard to get him to stop. His best friend is my sister's American Bulldog/Black Lab mix named Max--he's only 6 months...but basically the 2 of them together is the cutest thing ever! Tucker and I try to go on daily walks and he absolutely LOVES hiking when we go! I have pics on my profile :)
    Yeah, I dont get that about dogs. Give him a rawhide and he'd rather chew my (dirty) sock. As far as the eating, I trained Hershey to sit and wait until I tell him it's ok to eat by the command "go eat". It kept him from almost gobbling my hand off. But now, I have to tell him about 5 times because he just sits there looking at me like, "are you sure?!? Are you SURE I can go eat?!" Hershey LOVES, adores blankets. But after having them for a while he starts eating them. and I dont mean chewing. he literally eats and swallows chunks out of the blanket. His last blanket was red. He ate chunks out of it and after it rained, we my back yard had red specks ALL over it, if you know what I mean!
  • weebles
    weebles Posts: 50
    Options
    Down here in 'bama, we have two mini doxies - Kenzie, a 4 year old red doxie (with a red nose and nails - too cute!) and Teagan, a 2.5 year old black and tan who's about 3 pounds smaller than Kenz. They're so cute and cuddly and lovie, and are FABULOUS for a brisk hike around our hilly neighborhood!

At home in Virginia, I also have my German Shepherd (who my dad says is his ... just because we gave her to him for Christmas ...) who is probably 8 or 9 now. She's an amazing dog - Elka. Gotta love her! But also at home is my baby - Spot, an almost 11 year old Appendix (Quarter Horse Thoroughbred cross) who is a big, handsome man. As soon as law school is over, I will get to be with him again! I miss my baby ...

I have a 2 year old mini doxie and his name is Ozzy! (after Ozzy Osborne) He is a black, brown and gray dapple. I have never seen a dog love ice cubes like he does. My husband or I will go to the fridge to get some ice for our water and he comes running and sits quietly and waits for one to fall. Must really like the crunch! When we are outside in the winter...he finds icicles to chew on! LOL I love my lil' boy!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have three dogs: Lily is almost 5yrs old (estimated). She was rescued at the Humane Society. We have no idea what mix of breeds she is but she is very sweet and smart. Salchi is a purebred Dachshund, almost 5yrs old, also rescued but at the City pound. And my Bella is an 8mo old black miniature Schnauzer. She is the terror of the family, such high energy. :laugh: We love our dogs!!!:flowerforyou:
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    We have 2 tiny toy poodles. The mom's Winnie and the baby is Honey. They bring alot of joy to our lives. We love watching them play and how the mom trains the baby. When we call Honey, if she doesn't come, Winnie will come into the area and Honey will follow and then she understands we want her and will come. Winnie will turn around and leave and though she has done her duty. Winnie got her name from our 2 year old (at that time) granddaughter. She was visiting when we got Winnie and we were discussing a varity of names when Cordelia put her hand on her hip and with attitude said "you name her Winnie the poodle". The name stuck. Honey was honey colored and sweet as honey.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs. My oldest is a doxie/boarder collie mix named Lilly. She's 7 and I adopted her when she was only 6 weeks old from the local humane society. She is too adorable and she is MY dog. Like a doxie, she has a long body and short legs but she has the fur of the board collie. She is the best cuddler and I just love her to pieces. The younger puppy is a beagle mix (maybe with pit bull or black mouth kurr) named Macey and she's 6. I adopted her from a vet's office. She was 6 mo's old and her "owner" dropped her off requesting she be put down because they didn't want her anymore. They offered to find the dog a home instead. I heard about her from a friend who's niece worked at the vet's office. I took the poor tick-infested baby home, cleaned her up, and gave her a home. That was about 6 mo before I met my hubby. When he walked in my door for the first time, she no longer belonged to me. She was his. I think there are times when she is more in love with him than I am. She just sits and stares at him longingly until he pays attention to her.

We also have 2 leopard geckos named Kurt and Kourtney (DH named them before I even met him) and 2 spiny mice named Earl and Randy (from My Name is Earl!!). Oh, and then their my cat who lives with my best friend in a different state. I only get to see him once a year if I'm lucky. His name is Mogwia (from Gremlins) but he usually gets called Muggy or Bubba.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    We have 2 fawn pugs, Rosie who is10 ( mamma ) and Lily 8 her daughter. Rosie was our first dog and she had one litter. We kept Lily and she had one litter as well. They are my "girlz", as we have 2 boys, 20 and 17. Rosie has always been the mother hen. She helped clean Lily's puppies and to this day still cleans Lily's ears and face! She is a morning girl and is ready to go out at 6 am. She has hypo-thyroidism and is on medication for that and is a little chunky @ 25 lbs, but stocky too. Whenever anyone gives her attention, pets her or picks her up she will bark and spin in a circle chasing her tail. Quite entertaining! Lily, on the other hand is a daddy's girl and a little obsessive. She won't share any of her toys and even takes them outside with her when she goes out to do her thing. We had to break down and buy her a new pair of baby, size 1 shoes cuz her last pair are out in about a foot of snow now....somewhere in the yard! They both snore and make all kinds of puggy-grunting- noises. When all is quiet in the house, they are the only ones to be heard! Love my puggers! :heart:
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of Lily's!! :smile:

Oh, and my son has 2 clown fish, that have been with us for about a yr. They were babies when we got them, so they have grown a little....he calls them "Clown" and "Fish".....:huh:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    So, you'll all think I'm nuts (I am) after you read this, but I have 6 dogs, a cat, and 2 budgies.

In order of adoption:

*Emma* - collie mix of unknown age, I assume she's about 11 now (I've had her for 7 years & was told she was "between 4 and 7" when I adoped her). She's the BEST dog in the world. The best. Hands down. Period. And, at this point, she understands almost every word I say to her. It's the funniest thing. Half the time I'll just be talking to her not expecting her to really do what I'm telling her to do and then to my surprise she'll do it. The other night I said "Emma, stop roaming around the house sniffing for food and go lie down in your chair!" because she was getting on my nerves and to my utter amazement she made a beeline for "her" chair. :laugh:

*Giles* - 2.5 year old Italian Greyhound. He's a little spooky around strangers (at one point he'd actually pee himself if they tried to pet him :frown:) but we've been working on it & he'll even take treats from strangers' hands now. He's a total momma's boy despite the fact he's actually my boyfriend's dog. He's by far the best behaved of our Italian Greyhounds.

*Mo* - 5 year old retired racing greyhound. Love at first sight with this guy. He's monster huge for a greyhound (32" tall, 90 pounds) and boy, he's the love of my life (don't tell my bf). Greyhounds are often listed as the least aggressive/protective dog but my Mo man has an alpha streak (which we've trained out of him immensely in the 2 years we've had him) and he's made it very clear that he will protect me against strange people and strange dogs which is why he's my best walking/running partner. He also looks super tough because he's so big & he's missing half an ear. :tongue:

*Kid* - 5 year old retired racing greyhound. Kid and Mo are littermates, so it's pretty amazing I have both of them! Kid's waaaayyyy too smart for his own good. My bf doesn't believe me, but I think he's the smartest of all our dogs despite the fact he does the dumbest stuff. There isn't a trashcan invented that he hasn't figured out how to get into. He's a great puzzle solver & he's constantly trying to figure out how stuff works.

*Bibel* - 6 year old (guess) Italian Greyhound. She was used by a back yard breeder (:explode: ) as "breeding stock" for the first 4-5 years of her life. She had several litters of pups and then they decided they wanted to "get rid" of her so I took her from them with the help of a sighthound rescue. She still has many behavioral issues we're trying to work through but despite our intense efforts she's becoming increasingly afraid of my boyfriend. :cry: I think she has developmental issues due to malnutrition in her early years. She's the sweetest little girl, though, and she loves to snuggle with me and just stare up into my eyes. She breaks my heart.

*Spike* - 2 year old Italian Greyhound. BYB cast-off (did I mention :explode: ?) due to being a poor example of his breed. He's quite a spaz but he's the sweetest little guy around. I think he may be a little developmentally delayed (mentally) but when he finally catches onto something he's the proudest pup I've ever seen. He broke both his right front leg and his left front leg this year & is still recovering from the last.

*Pickles* - 3 year old budgie - blue and white. She's the most tame of my 2 budgies & is the one I've worked with the most.

*Nona* - 2.5 year old budgie - blue/yellow/green. She's never been tame but is so beautiful I decided to take her home anyway. She's definitely the noisiest of the 2 budgies.

*Peebie* - 10 month old long haired mutt kitten. She's one of the neatest looking cats I've ever seen. Calico, but very splotchy and striped. Her tail is as big as the rest of her (she's still under 6 pounds!). She was seperated from her mother & siblings at too young of an age (5 weeks) and has the classic problems that come with that. She's very attached to and dependent on my boyfriend and me, but she looks at us as playmates so constantly tries to play with us (by attacking us... with all the claws and the teeth...). She's named Peebie because, again, she was taken away from her mother before she learned how to clean herself. I was struggling to come up with a name that fit her (I had wanted to name her Druscilla but it just didn't work) so I started caling her Poopy Bottom. Which of course became PB, and then Peebie.

<3 my zoo! All of my dogs are rawfed (whole prey model) & my cat is 75% grain free kibble 25% raw fed (she still hasn't figured out how to chomp bones so that's why I continue with the kibble... :frown:). I'm sure lots of people will think I'm kooky, but I switched to rawfeeding exactly a year ago and I've been immensely impressed with how much my dogs' health improved after the switch from premium kibble (Taste of the Wild). No more dentals needed (IGs and greys have notoriously bad teeth), no more itchy/dry skin, bigger muscles, shinier/softer fur, no more upset tummies, LESS POOP! Awesome! :laugh:

Edit: Woah... long. Sorry. :embarassed: