Yoplait Greek Yogurt?

Options
I've heard rumors that Yoplait Greek Yogurt isn't REAL Greek yogurt. Is this True or false?

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    No it's not real greek yogurt. It's called Yoglait Greek-STYLE Yogurt.

Ingredient list:
    Cultured Pasteurized Grade A Nonfat Milk,
    Milk Protein Concentrate,
    Sugar,
    Kosher Gelatin,
    Pectin,
    Lemon Juice Concentrate,
    Natural Flavor,
    Locust Bean Gum,
    Vitamin A Acetate,
    Vitamin D3.

Fage Greek Yogurt Ingredient list:

STRAINED YOGURT: Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei)

Yoplait uses thickeners and added protein\. Real greek yogurt is strained and has more protein and is thicker because of this process.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Go with Fage and you will never eat another brand again.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    True. Stay away from Yoplait. Go with Chobani or Fage :-)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

nooo... Chobani is soooo much yummier! :happy:
  • JDMRoma
    JDMRoma Posts: 46 Member
    Options

nooo... Chobani is soooo much yummier! :happy:

Love the Chobani Plain Greek, add in my own fresh strawberries and blueberries !!!
  • BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Voskos is AWESOME greek yogurt. I love the strawberry and granola and it's only 140 calories.
  • Electrifit
    Options
    This is not only my opinion but its fact. YOPLAIT is commercial garbage that is a sugar bomb! STAY AWAY lol! opt for getting a large container of plain yogurt or plain greek yogurt and adding your own fruit. Loads of sugar are no bueno!
  • Electrifit
    Options
    I dont do dairy, but i second that. much cleaner!!! protein + real fruit (natural source of fructose with antioxidants) ;)
  • athenad121
    athenad121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Liberte' brand is awesome! It's super thick and rich and the fruit flavors are not too sweet...love it! I really like the Voskos brand too...the honey flavored Voskos is great!
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options

^^^ SO much truth. I used to eat Chobani regularly until I tried Fage. BEST. YOGURT. EVER.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I just read an article the other day (can't find the link or I'd share) about yogurt being touted as a diet food by so many people. Especially in advertising. The point of the article was that with most mainstream marketed yogurts, yoplat being one of them, the sugar and other chemicals they add to the yogurt make up for any health benefit you may get by eating it.

If the list of ingredients is as long as the package that's probably a good clue it's not good for you. But damn, it sure tastes good. And I suppose there are far worse things to eat.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of buying the yoplait greek style yoghurt when I first started eating greek yoghurt. BLERGH!
  • skudera27
    Options
    I was doing a little bit of food shopping today and came across the new Yoplait Greek Yogurt, 100 calories. Anyone ever try these?

http://www.yoplait.com/products/yoplait-greek-100-yogurt

I don't see it say "Greek-style" anywhere. I picked some up to try since they're only 100 calories, very low in sugar/carbs, and good protein. I always eat Greek Yogurt - I've tried the store brands (quite good), Fage, Chobani. Thought I'd give this one a try, too.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    All I know is that yoplait greek is my least favorite greek yogurt. It's just nasty tasting. Fage Total, Chobani, Greek Gods, and Better Whey of Life are way better!
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Fage is awesome! I get the plain 0% fat and mix dried cranberries in it or I get the individual size cups with fruit flavoring. Great dose of protein in the morning and only about 120 cal.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I was doing a little bit of food shopping today and came across the new Yoplait Greek Yogurt, 100 calories. Anyone ever try these?

http://www.yoplait.com/products/yoplait-greek-100-yogurt

I don't see it say "Greek-style" anywhere. I picked some up to try since they're only 100 calories, very low in sugar/carbs, and good protein. I always eat Greek Yogurt - I've tried the store brands (quite good), Fage, Chobani. Thought I'd give this one a try, too.
    I think it has artificial sweeteners, making it "light".