Aspartame Vs Sugar

Options

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I hate fake sugar. The stuff is toxic.

Ironically, I was at Walmart trying to find True Lemon powder (100% lemon - easy for work) when I ran into a trainer. He was actually talking to a lady and they were talking about what sugars are best. By the way, he looked really healthy. He pretty much told her to only eat brown sugars - refined white has no nutrients and if you're going for zero calorie you have to go for the Nectresse or Stevia. It struck me as funny and we ended up having a conversation about the evils of Splenda and all the others.

I've read too much about their causing muscle pain, headaches, all sorts of illnesses. I've even found postings where people stopped using it and they suddenly felt their health improve. Basically, just type in some of the names and you're going to see all sorts of after affects. If you have heart issues, Aspartame can cause you to get dizzy and speeds it up. My mom avoids the diet drinks as she's had this happen to her with that chemical.

Anyway, I've started to use Nectresse and it's pretty good. It's really good in iced tea with a dash of lemon powder. I refuse to use any of the others. Unfortunately, I can't use Stevia. It's in the family of Ragweed so I'm highly allergic to it.

By the way - I agree with you. Monsanto is evil. I seriously wonder about that company and what it does. I've read some frightening stories about their GMO crops and India that make me wonder how they keep getting away with this stuff. Their corn is terrifying. I'm already making sure I don't buy it.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Splenda tastes better than Equal to me. Have not had equal in years.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    My girlfriend is diabetic. Her doctor has her on Stevia and told her she can use it in unlimited quantities. You can get a sample size and see what you think of it. They sell giant bags of it now. :)

Fair warning! Truvia is highly toxic to dogs. It can kill them in 15 minutes and does awful things to them. If you have dogs, don't buy it! It doesn't take much. I've read of dogs just chewing on gum and it killed them. I didn't know if you knew so thought it best to warn you.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Monsanto makes corn for ethanol, not necessarily for food. That is why I bought stock in it! LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    There are seemingly a lot of Aspartame PR people on the boards.

Here's another approach:

Nutrasweet, who makes Equal, which uses Aspartame, recently bribed the FDA to not declare their newest sweetener, Neotame AT ALL. Neotame is even more dangerous than Aspartame, and there's no way to tell if it's even in the food you're eating.

Nutrasweet is a former subsidiary of Monsanto (can't wait to hear people try to defend them). Monsanto makes basically ALL of the pesticides that are killing you, and just spent 4 million dollars bribing the California government to withhold information from the public about which foods are genetically modified.

Who do you want to support with your money, even in the hypothetical situation where all artificial sweeteners were healthy?
    Where's your supporting unbiased paperwork of the bribes? Or is this just hearsay? While I agree that big money may buy off people for money making schemes, standard allegations like this would be under investigation by authority. Oh wait, they must be bought off too.
    It's not about PR, it's about actual peer reviewed scientific studies NOT showing the BS that you claim is happening. Next thing you'll be saying that eating HFCS is the main cause for obesity.....................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Actually, I think you might be wrong about that one. I've been reading that they are now going to release GMO corn and Monsanto is the maker. There are several companies out there already pledging not to use the GMO corn. I certainly didn't mean to insult your taste in stocks...but they are producing a corn that will be on the market for humans.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/326208

I thought you should know. They are starting to sell it to humans. It's a modified corn that's supposedly pest resistant but they are finding huge problems with it.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Nutrasweet, who makes Equal, which uses Aspartame, recently bribed the FDA to not declare their newest sweetener, Neotame AT ALL. Neotame is even more dangerous than Aspartame, and there's no way to tell if it's even in the food you're eating.

I suspect he's just very avid about the dangers of these sweeteners. I've read some pretty nasty horror stores about people's personal experiences. To me, these are chemicals not developed from real natural plants so they tend to be dangerous.

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/031212_Neotame-13000-Times-Sweeter-Than-Sugar-And-Even-More-Toxic-Than-Aspartame.shtml

It may also be because this was the last product developed by Monsanto. I read horror stories about their corn crops putting poor farmers out of business and killing cattle in India. They have done some pretty bad stuff so I would wonder about the safety of ANY product they developed considering their history.

http://www.viewingspace.com/genetics_culture/pages_genetics_culture/gc_w03/terminator_abc/terminator_seed.htm

http://www.mindbodyhealth.com/GMO-HealthDisaster.htm

http://earthjustice.org/gmo

http://www.timos.com/timos/green/NoGMO/irtArticle.cfm?itemID=242

http://www.design4disaster.org/2011/04/04/organic-farmers-sue-monsanto-over-genetically-manipulated-seed/

This is just the tip of the iceburg. I could go on and it gets worse and worse.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    do you have any links from credible, non-biased sources? just curious.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Neotame info:

http://farmwars.info/?p=4897

Companies lobbying to hide which foods are genetically modified from the public:

http://io9.com/5935109/companies-that-paid-over-1-million-to-stop-gmo-labels-on-foods?fb_action_ids=386442571411002&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Tangent- to play devil's advocate and depress everyone, here's who owns the companies who make your organic food:

http://farmwars.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/OrganicIndustryStructure.jpg#
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I personally get kidney infections when I use any kind of artifical sweeteners. And they taste awful. I just use sugar, preferably raw sugar (I like the taste of it) in limited quantities. I drink my tea unsweetened and use a teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee.

I also avoid high fructose corn syrup, not because of any sciency reason, but just because I want to limit my sugars and don't like processed foods anyway.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    There are seemingly a lot of Aspartame PR people on the boards.

There also seems to be a lot of alarmism on the boards.
    Here's another approach:

Nutrasweet, who makes Equal, which uses Aspartame, recently bribed the FDA to not declare their newest sweetener, Neotame AT ALL.

Source?
    Neotame is even more dangerous than Aspartame

And since Aspartame is only dangerous at very high dosages, you may as well have said that Neotame is more dangerous than socks.

Nutrasweet is a former subsidiary of Monsanto (can't wait to hear people try to defend them). Monsanto makes basically ALL of the pesticides that are killing you, and just spent 4 million dollars bribing the California government to withhold information from the public about which foods are genetically modified.

Source?
    Who do you want to support with your money, even in the hypothetical situation where all artificial sweeteners were healthy?

That premise is valid, but can you support your statements?
  • CharliB1
    CharliB1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My understanding from the professor in my nutrition class is these sugar substitutes trick you pancreas to make insulin because your body thinks it's getting sugar. Personally I'd rather have a few extra calories than to put the strain on my pancreas by spiking production for no reason.

^Agreed. I stick to the ol' fashioned sugar and make sure it's taken in with moderation
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    I say if your eating clean, eat ALL THE WAY clean! Use honey this sugar does not raise your glycemic index and is good for you!

HONEY:
    1) It is nutritious for you!: A much healthier choice than over-processed, factory-made table sugar table sugar and artificial sweeteners which do not have any vitamins or whatsoever nutrients, this natural liquid from the honey bees contains many vitamins like B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and certain amino acids and minerals including calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc.

2) It is a healthy food choice!: Honey has a healthy Glycemic Index (GI), meaning that its sugars can be gradually absorbed into the bloodstream to result in better digestion. Eating excessive high-glycemic foods prompts an elevated insulin release in our body as a result of the pancreas being stimulated to metabolize the sudden surge of glucose into the blood.

3) It builds your immunity against sicknesses!: Honey contains natural antioxidant properties that can destroy biologically destructive chemical agents which have been linked to many diseases such as cancer. Not only could honey's antioxidants help to eliminate free radicals in the body, they are also part of the nutrient supply for growth of new tissue. Because of this, for centuries, honey has been used all over the world in different cultures as a natural cure for many ailments, and traditionally as an effective home remedy, for instance the honey and apple cider vinegar tonic which is used for treating arthritis and bad breath.

4) It energizes you!: This perhaps is the most common reply kids get from their parents when they ask "why is honey good for you?" A great natural source of carbohydrates which provide strength and energy to our bodies, honey is known for its effectiveness in instantly boosting the performance, endurance and reduce muscle fatigue of athletes. Its natural fruit sugars, fructose and glucose plays an important role in preventing fatigue during exercise and are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream digested by the body. Also, honey is free of cholesterol and it has been reported that adding small amounts of it in the daily diet could even help keep cholesterol levels in check.

5) It beautifies you!: This anti-aging benefit of honey is probably the best reply to "Why is honey good for you?" There exist a huge number of honey products in the market for hair care, baby care, skin care for sunscreen, hand lotions, facial scrubs and moisturizers. Honey's hygroscopic properties also make it an ideal cosmetic ingredient as it helps keep skin hydrated and fresh and prevents drying. Its natural antioxidant and anti-microbial properties also support the skin's ability to rejuvenate and refresh depleted skin, leaving it feeling silky soft and supple.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Just because they don't come from Fox News or CBS doesn't mean there isn't a problem with their GMO crops. I've read articles where they've talked about possible harmful affects to butterflies and bees. There are issues with these crops. The news is out there but we are constantly not told about what happens in the world. Basically, we're spoon fed stuff and it's always the same stuff over and over.

To me, there is a serious problem when you produce a crop and Monsanto does not allow you to replant it without paying a yearly tithe. The seeds last for a certain number of years and can cross pollinate with other crops. . Once you grow their crops on your land - you can be sued if you try to plant something else on the same land - even if it cross pollinated with their seed and is now a different plant. Worse, they will demand royalties year after year after year - even if the original crop doesn't exist anymore. That's not right and frankly - food shouldn't become the domain of one company. I know in Brazil they are being sued by farmers who were being extorted to pay yearly amounts of fees. So basically, it's kinda like a system of slavery. Once you buy, you can never get out and you'll always have to pay and pay and pay. That's not what food should be about. I don't like the idea of one company owning the worlds supply of food. That's scary.

I believe food should be natural and crossbred naturally. As soon as you tinker with genetics you are risking permanently loosing the crop or damaging it where we can't use it. That's definitely a big problem. You also risk major environmental damages. The problem is you won't know until later what they did. I'm sorry - GMO = BAD.
  • athenad121
    athenad121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that a little real sugar is better than artificial sweeteners. She told me that when you eat/drink artificial sweeteners your taste buds get the sweet sensation and send signals to your brain which makes your body expect the sugar and the energy spike that comes with it. When your body doesn't get that, it in turn causes you to crave more sweets...

Not entirely sure of the validity of this but I cut way back on artificial sweeteners and my craving for sweets has gone down drastically.
  • shadesofjade77
    Options
    I think the artificial sweetner debate could go on forever. Everyone has their own opinion on the subject... I've done plenty of research on it and have made up my mind. I stay away from all artificial sweetners.. If I don't use it, there's no possible way it can hurt me. I will use Stevia on occasion. However, I would prefer to use turbinado sugar, coconut sugar, honey, or agave nectar for sweetness. I try to go the more natural route and leave the man-made products alone.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Neotame info:

http://farmwars.info/?p=4897

Companies lobbying to hide which foods are genetically modified from the public:

http://io9.com/5935109/companies-that-paid-over-1-million-to-stop-gmo-labels-on-foods?fb_action_ids=386442571411002&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Tangent- to play devil's advocate and depress everyone, here's who owns the companies who make your organic food:

http://farmwars.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/OrganicIndustryStructure.jpg#

Lobbying is legal, bribes are not...there is a difference
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    Just because they don't come from Fox News or CBS doesn't mean there isn't a problem with their GMO crops. I've read articles where they've talked about possible harmful affects to butterflies and bees. There are issues with these crops. The news is out there but we are constantly not told about what happens in the world. Basically, we're spoon fed stuff and it's always the same stuff over and over.

To me, there is a serious problem when you produce a crop and Monsanto does not allow you to replant it without paying a yearly tithe. The seeds last for a certain number of years and can cross pollinate with other crops. . Once you grow their crops on your land - you can be sued if you try to plant something else on the same land - even if it cross pollinated with their seed and is now a different plant. Worse, they will demand royalties year after year after year - even if the original crop doesn't exist anymore. That's not right and frankly - food shouldn't become the domain of one company. I know in Brazil they are being sued by farmers who were being extorted to pay yearly amounts of fees. So basically, it's kinda like a system of slavery. Once you buy, you can never get out and you'll always have to pay and pay and pay. That's not what food should be about. I don't like the idea of one company owning the worlds supply of food. That's scary.

I believe food should be natural and crossbred naturally. As soon as you tinker with genetics you are risking permanently loosing the crop or damaging it where we can't use it. That's definitely a big problem. You also risk major environmental damages. The problem is you won't know until later what they did. I'm sorry - GMO = BAD.

I don't think anyone looking for unbiased sources would accept anything from FOX news with a straight face.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    My philo is when in doubt, use the real stuff in moderation. Prevention is better than cure. Food products like Traditions can last for eternity but it does not make it is beneficial.

^^^this. Granulated Sugar packets are 15 calories each, that's it. Turbinado sugar packets ("Sugar in the Raw" brand, etc) are 20 calories each. If you're worried about aspartame stay with natural sugar, just use less. Over time you'll get used to that lower amount, and then you can try to use even less or cut it out completely.

Personally, I have a reaction to aspartame. A stick of gum is fine, but a 12oz can of diet soda will give me migraines and severe nausea, so I have trained my taste buds to detect the foul taste of aspartame and I completely avoid it. Due to taste sensitivity driven by the aspartame problems, I can't stand the taste of stevia or sucralose. I stick with plain old sugar and have cut way back on how much I allow myself.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that a little real sugar is better than artificial sweeteners. She told me that when you eat/drink artificial sweeteners your taste buds get the sweet sensation and send signals to your brain which makes your body expect the sugar and the energy spike that comes with it. When your body doesn't get that, it in turn causes you to crave more sweets...

Not entirely sure of the validity of this but I cut way back on artificial sweeteners and my craving for sweets has gone down drastically.

I don't remember where I read that, but I have read the same thing your doctor said. Kind of like a Pavlovian response within your body. Taste sweet, expect energy that doesn't come, so your body craves quickly metabolized calories in the form of something sweet to get that energy rush.

Plenty of anecdotal evidence around to show that when you cut out sweets for a prolonged period of time you no longer crave them, and can even find them unappetizing due to being too sweet.