RE: Net Calories and Losing Weight?

Options
Sorry, to probably ask a question that has probably been asked over and over.

My BMR is 1700 and I exercise aiming for at least for 500 calories burned a day....today's was 468.

The past couple of weeks, I haven't had any loss in weight. Actually two weeks ago, pre-cycle it was a 4 lbs gain which didn't really return back to normal after my time of the month. I haven't lost any water weight and I'm reflecting 2-4 lbs over what my weight was three weeks ago. Not huge, I know....I just don't want to "gain" anymore.

If I don't do any exercise, I'm understanding that I eat 1700 calories right?

If I exercise, am I suppose to net out to a particular amount? Today, I'm at 1502 which reflects my eating a bit over 200 of my exercise calories. Is that good or bad?

I have not been eating much of my exercise calories, maybe 200 or no more than half of them.

I just want to be counter productive here and boost my weight loss again.

Side note: I do feel my muscle pains again...increased workout ability, ect...so that could be the reason for no loss?

Thanks to everyone who answers and helps with this one. I really appreciate it!

Replies

• KaidaKantri
    Options
    Nvm.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

My BMR is 1700 and I exercise aiming for at least for 500 calories burned a day....today's was 468.

The past couple of weeks, I haven't had any loss in weight. Actually two weeks ago, pre-cycle it was a 4 lbs gain which didn't really return back to normal after my time of the month. I haven't lost any water weight and I'm reflecting 2-4 lbs over what my weight was three weeks ago. Not huge, I know....I just don't want to "gain" anymore.

If I exercise, am I suppose to net out to a particular amount? Today, I'm at 1502 which reflects my eating a bit over 200 of my exercise calories. Is that good or bad?

I have not been eating much of my exercise calories, maybe 200 or no more than half of them.

Side note: I do feel my muscle pains again...increased workout ability, ect...so that could be the reason for no loss?

BMRx1.6=2720
    A moderate deficit of 20% will yield great results without impacting hormones too much and with minimal LBM lost.
    So 20% off 2720=2176

So shoot for a net of 2k-2200 and youll see results.

More on this in here---->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Just one small suggestion - try cutting your sodium dramatically, and see if that helps. Recommended intake is 1300-1500 mg per day, not 2500. :)
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hi. If you do a search in the topics for TDEE and BMR, you will find a lot of the information you are looking for! Basically, eating about 20% less than your TDEE is what you should shoot for - simplified.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it is you eat AT LEAST 1700 calories a day(even after exercise you still should have at least 1700 calories where it says your goal) and then if you burn some from exercise that's fine, some people will argue you should eat them back and some people say you don't, honestly I listen to my body, if I'm hungry I'm not going to starve it, my body tells me because it knows best.

Don't mistake thirst for hunger though.

Always listen to your body. If you're hungry, eat but if you have extra calories and you're not hungry, don't eat.
  • mirasmom02
    Options
    No.... you should eat whatever it is that MFP is telling you to. As far as your exercise goes, you can eat those calories too, or not eat them. Check what your settings are on MFP...is it to maintan, lose 1 lb a week, or 2 lbs? Whatever you have picked, MFP has adjusted your caloric intake to suit.
    Good Luck!
  • mirasmom02
    Options
    Just one small suggestion - try cutting your sodium dramatically, and see if that helps. Recommended intake is 1300-1500 mg per day, not 2500. :)
    YES!!! add Sodium to the list of things to keep track of on here - sodium is a BIG issue with alot of people (myself included)
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yep, you are definitely not netting enough calories and your sodium is consistently way too high. Try raising your calories and lowering your sodium and you should see results
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options

WOW! I have seen a norm of 2500 sodium and I cannot imagine how the hell people are able to cut down to 1300-1500 mg per day. Thank you for the recommendation though.
  • faithchange
    Options
    YES!!! add Sodium to the list of things to keep track of on here - sodium is a BIG issue with alot of people (myself included)

AMEN! Sodium is tough...people could say...stay away from boxed, canned, ect...but EVERYTHING has salt in it...I'm sorry. I have been tracking it, and yes high, but not as much as I used to have. :)
  • faithchange
    Options

BMRx1.6=2720
    A moderate deficit of 20% will yield great results without impacting hormones too much and with minimal LBM lost.
    So 20% off 2720=2176

More on this in here---->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

So, am I eating too little? WOW! Really? I don't understand this...for sure.
    Also, if people are saying to eat more and stay away from sodium...well...what the heck do you eat. Salt=lunch meat, tuna, chicken, string cheese, even in some veggies.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Try eating fresh foods and maybe swap out can veg for frozen. If you need canned veg, rinse it first
    Instead of buying sauces or dressings, make your own

The more convenience foods and pre packaged foods you cut out, you'll find your sodium will drop considerably.

Make as much as you can from scratch, that way you can make bulk and freeze portions.

A lot of foods nowadays have lower sodium alternatives.

I think a lot has to do with conditioning...people have developed a taste for it and tend to think food tastes funny or different without it.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Eating too little sounds weird especially if it was working before but I think I have the same problem. I think the thing that made me realize they were right was any weight I did gain just wouldn't budge....my body thinks I'm starving and if I eat pizza it want to keep it ALL. lol I was also really tired and wasn't sure why.

I'm going to try to eat more I'm adding mostly more fruits and veggies and some nuts (Almonds are high in calories but also in fat and protein so I have to be careful with those b/c they are so good). Today I did pretty good (went a little over on the protein and fat but good on calories) and I feel much less tired so I think it's working.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

A word of caution about cutting salt too low-especially for folks that exercise. I was having horrible vertigo/dizzy spells. Turns out, my sodium was TOO low. I was being far too careful by keeping it under 2,000 mg a day. I now look at 2500 as a minimum for me... otherwise, I feel icky and can't even tilt my head to shampoo my hair or get in and out of bed without nearly falling over.

As an added note... I'm curious what the calculator told you. :)
  • faithchange
    Options

A word of caution about cutting salt too low-especially for folks that exercise. I was having horrible vertigo/dizzy spells. Turns out, my sodium was TOO low. I was being far too careful by keeping it under 2,000 mg a day. I now look at 2500 as a minimum for me... otherwise, I feel icky and can't even tilt my head to shampoo my hair or get in and out of bed without nearly falling over.

As an added note... I'm curious what the calculator told you. :)

yah. I also tend toward low blood pressure, so probably wouldn't want it too low either.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

BMRx1.6=2720
    So 20% off 2720=2176

Also, if people are saying to eat more and stay away from sodium...well...what the heck do you eat. Salt=lunch meat, tuna, chicken, string cheese, even in some veggies.

Sodium has little bearing on actual weight loss.
    It will cause you to retain water but if you are eating the recommended potassium and drinking 8-16 cups water a dat then it shouldn't matter.
    Just eat slightly below tdee and lift weights and walk a lot.
    I will say that you don't have to eat back these cals.
    I built in your workout cals when calculating.
    just eat at an 80:20 ratio of whole foods and junk and you'll do great.
  • faithchange
    Options

BMRx1.6=2720
    So 20% off 2720=2176

Sodium has little bearing on actual weight loss.
    It will cause you to retain water but if you are eating the recommended potassium and drinking 8-16 cups water a dat then it shouldn't matter.
    Just eat slightly below tdee and lift weights and walk a lot.
    I will say that you don't have to eat back these cals.
    I built in your workout cals when calculating.
    just eat at an 80:20 ratio of whole foods and junk and you'll do great.

Thank you for noting about sodium. I do try to stay below the recommendation, but tough in today's society. For me its huge to make the appropriate food choices when eating out....rather than...uh oh too much sodium. LOL!

So, biggest question still in your calculation...I'm still suppose to eat 2100 calories? When BMR is 1700 eat the 400-500 exercise into that? Not seeing it...sorry. I know my TDEE is somewhere like 2675, which when I calculated it said how many times exercise a week...I exercise 6-7 days sometimes for at least one hour.
  • nancy4b2g
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing. Everyone says don't worry about it. More than likely it is water. But I have lost inches. Did you measure yourself? Maybe you're loosing inches.