Can I still BBQ?

Options
Dr_Flo
Dr_Flo Posts: 465
I'm a meatatarian ... Im not sure I can stop that. I love cookouts.

My favs to make are: fajitas, sausage, brisquet, some chicken and of course the usual burgers and dogs.

What are some healthier choices I can toss on my grill?

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Well, chicken's good. How do you feel about turkey? There are lots of healthier turkey-based alternatives to things that are normally made with beef, but they're not as much fun.
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bison? venis? quail? black bean burgers?
    fish? salmon talapia, swordfish?

there is no issue with meat. but you may look for a local farmer that does grass fed meats.

i am working to cut pork

one of my friends showed me this post that may be a life style choice that works for you too

www.marksdailyapple.com/
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    If you like cooking on the grill, I definitely suggest trying some of the different stuff mentioned in the posts above. Learning how to cook more options allows you to have all the stuff you are used to in moderation.
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    Turkey I could totally do. Fish, I've got a mental block when it comes to fish. It tastes just like it smells and that just doesn't work for me. Shockingly, I'll eat it fried. Weird huh?
  • Grant_P
    Grant_P Posts: 13
    Options
    I've made Chicken & Vegetable teriyaki skewers.

Imarinade the vegetables in the teriyaki sauce along with the cut pieces of chicken

I use Cherry tomatoes, Pineapple, mushrooms, bell pepper, onions and jalapenos on occasion.

I'd cook the Tomatoes seperately and for a very short time.

Find teriyaki sauce that is low in Fat & calories. I bought mine at a store called Trader Joe's.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    as a low carber, i eat any and all meat. grilling is the best way to prepare anything if you ask me ;)
    i even grill my veg ;D

i just substitute the sugary laden BBQ sauces for homemade ones.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Always BBQ! We hit 4-5 lbs of meat every weekend to use throughout the week. Our rotation normally includes lean hamburger (fatty grills better, but 93-95% FF works just fine!), Chicken breasts, pork chops and the occassional fish fillet or saussage.

If you have a fish block --try-- getting a preseasoned Salmon steak from your grocier. If you grill it medium, there wont be a strong fishy smell and the taste is great and protein is good!
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I bbq at least once a week, and have managed to lose 20 lbs in 2 1/2 months. I say do it!
  • jadums
    jadums Posts: 22
    Options
    You're going to have to give up the sausages except for when you get a treat. Sorry brother.

Here are the lean meats that grill well:

Poultry: Skinless, white meat chicken or turkey; ground turkey breast
    Beef: Flank steak, top loin, sirloin, porterhouse, T-bone steak and tenderloin; 90% lean ground beef
    Veal: Any trimmed cut
    Pork: Pork chops or tenderloin
    Lamb: Look for the word “loin”
    Game: Rabbit and buffalo
    Game birds: pheasant, quail and ostrich

If you're having trouble giving up the fatty meats, then try reducing your portion size.

Look for a low calorie BBQ sauce recipes online or use marinades and dry rubs on your meats before you grill to add flavour.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    eating fat from food doesn't mean you will get fat.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Halloumi is a type of cheese that you can grill (not melty) and it's AWESOME. It's sold in regular groceries where I live, but might be specialty in other places.

Also kebob? You could check out more traditional ways it's made with different meats, and try at home.
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    You guys have some great suggestions and I will take all of them.

I'm so excited to grill I wish it was the weekend already.

I'll have to go shopping and pick up some of those lean cuts to try out.

Thanks so much for your help AND if any of you would like to friend me.. please do. I'm still fairly new, so I'll take all the advice I can get on this journey of fat melting proportions
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Since I'm from BBQ town (KC), I eat BBQ at least once or twice a month, if not more often. I make it work. As far as healthier choices on the grill, just about any kind of meat can be smoked or grilled. Just pick whatever healthy meat you want and do a Google search on how to grill it. Grilling and smoking meats are a healthy way to prepare them.

Cookouts are awesome! Enjoy! :happy:
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I love meat. Big thick meat. Yum.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to give up the sausages except for when you get a treat. Sorry brother.

I have to disagree. I haven't given up sausages. I just eat one serving now instead of 10.

If it's BBQ though, then it HAS to be ribs. And if it's grilling, then I prefer a burger or chicken. And yes, there's a difference between grilling and real BBQ. Google it if you're interested. :wink:
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Just to pitch in - there are plenty of turkey and chicken sausages that would taste just lovely on the grill.

Meat. Good.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    We love to grill at my house! Lean hamburger, ground turkey, chicken breast, veggies kebabs all the time.
    Also, I bought a grill basket so I can grill cut up veggies without having to skewer them or worry about them falling in the coals. That works amazingly well.
    Buffalo chicken breast is our newest fave. Bonesless, skinless chicken breast grilled and instead of bbq sauce use a thick buffalo sauce. It's nice and spicy. then I make light ranch dip and serve on the side with some celery sticks and my grilled veggies.
    Mmmmm. I see another cook out in my near future.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    all i can say is invest in some nice grill baskets and start experimenting! Everything taste better from the grill - i have even been known to take canned biscuits flatten then out and put on the grill for a pizza crust or garlic bread- the smokey flavor is amazing!

and don't foget the fruit! peaches, pineapple, etc those are amazing too!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh yes! One of the best things about the BBQ is that so much flavor is added from the smoke that you don't necessarily need to add a lot to what you're grilling to get tons of flavor.

I stick with the leaner cuts of beef mentioned in the above posts, skip most BBQ sauce (you can get BBQ dry rub seasoning that gives the great flavor for significantly fewer calories), use only a light spray of olive oil when needed (using my Misto sprayer or the store-bought olive oil spray), and always grill veggies too. We have a basket that we load up with onions, bell peppers, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes - whatever, really - then we mist them with olive oil, a dash of garlic powder and salt. They always come out awesome. Sometimes I'd rather eat those than the meat.

Re: fish, I'm picky about it, too. The tasting like it smells bit is what gets to me also. I have found a few varieties that I do like pretty well. Salmon is NOT one of them. Can't stand the flavor, no matter how I've had it prepared.

Cod is my go-to. It has almost no fishy taste. It's also what they usually use in fried fish & chips, so maybe that's why you can tolerate the fried kind. Doesn't hurt that it's usually the cheapest fish, too... I also like halibut and swordfish. Grilled swordfish is so freaking good. It's really dense, too, so you don't get that typical fish texture. It's more like steak. A couple other thoughts about fish: I find that I like mine a little overcooked - most "properly" cooked fish is too wet and soft for me. I press my filets between paper towels to absorb extra juices before I cook them. And I usually season them with a small amount of light teriyaki sauce (the watery, not thick kind), soy sauce, jerk marinade, or fat-free Italian dressing. My husband loves lemon pepper on any kind of fish.

Good luck!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    We bought a washable removable metal rack to go on our grill, and it allows us to cook plenty of veggies on the grill. Zucchini from our garden is great grilled. Pineapple is great grilled. Sweet peppers and onions are great too. Potatoes work, also.

There is no such thing as a healthy meat!!! Even lean meats will give you atherosclerosis.