Thoughts on sweetcorn?

Options
nixism
nixism Posts: 258 Member
Is it good or bad as a vege??

We don't often have it, but sometimes. Thoughts??

Replies

• alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

That's my favorite! And I love it on the cob more.
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not helpful, but my thought is "Yummmmm" and my stomach is saying "growl growl...feed me...feed me some sweetcorn"
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    for me, its bad. too many carbs.

i do love some fresh corn salad though.

i would eat a few bites if it was picked fresh (i live in farm country)
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I love corn! I always eat it when we make burgers. I also throw it in chili.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    long as you've got salt and butter, enjoy!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Not helpful, but my thought is "Yummmmm" and my stomach is saying "growl growl...feed me...feed me some sweetcorn"

darn it...that was going to be my thought...Yum!!
  • jadums
    jadums Posts: 22
    Options
    I like it. It adds roughage to the system (we cannot digest the husks) and the sweet pop is satisfying in the mouth when eating salad. But I always make sure that I have "better" vegetables in meals that include corn. It is never never never the only veg on the plate and if it's there, it's normally the only starch. I go by the mantra: everything in moderation. Once in a while in small amounts, no worries - everyday? then the macro/micro nutrient becomes way more important.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I don't know all of the nutritional #s, but check it out. That should tell you how good it is. I would say it's a veggie, with everything, good in moderation, right?
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't believe any food is "bad" just don't go overboard on it!!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    We have had a ton of sweet white corn this summer. One of the vendors at our local farmer's market has some of the best I have ever had. Melts in your mouth.

Sure it's a starch but who cares!
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    All good thoughts. The kids love it and we've had it once this week... I think I'll cook some more for tea, I have enough cals to do so. I try and eat as many "colours" of the rainbow in a day as I can fresh veges wise... so YELLOW can't hurt too :)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yum!
    Best fresh, on-the-cob, lightly boiled with nothing on it.
  • LissaD26
    LissaD26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cut the kernels off one raw ear and throw it in your salad...you get the sweet, fresh taste without eating a whole ear.
  • kshermo1
    Options
    Everything in moderation, right? We enjoy ours grilled. Peel and discard all but the very last layer of husk. Place on a VERY hot grill and rotate 1/4 of the way around every 3-4 minutes. Grill marks should be evident - that is good. They indicate caramelization and add a delicious layer of flavor. I dress mine with butter (judiciously), salt and ground pepper. Certainly not a sterling example of a healthy food, but you could do much worse, I suppose. Key would be to limit it and surround it with more healthy choices.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Sweet corn is amazing fresh. Eat up! Just count it in your daily calories.
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options
    Most corn is genetically modified these days. Be sure to check to see if it's organic. Doubt it will be. Corn is all screwed up now. I personally won't touch it unless I grew it myself. But even so, the seeds you buy from a garden store could also be GMO. UGHHH!!! Google it! There's tons of information on genetically modified corn and soy. I stay away from both!
  • omgdinosaurs
    Options
    I live in New Jersey so we obviously have the best corn around! ;) It doesn't get much better than right now too, in the summer. So no matter where you are I highly recommend you at least get your fill during this season. Like others said, it's definitely a vegetable, and while starchy provides an excellent source of fiber.
    A great and easy way to cook is simply to boil the cobs! If it's fresh, it only needs between 5-10 minutes in the water. Enjoy!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

I love it! But I tend to think of it as a carb and not a vegetable.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Most corn is genetically modified these days. Be sure to check to see if it's organic. Doubt it will be. Corn is all screwed up now. I personally won't touch it unless I grew it myself. But even so, the seeds you buy from a garden store could also be GMO. UGHHH!!! Google it! There's tons of information on genetically modified corn and soy. I stay away from both!

Lots of things are genetically modified. Depends, really, on how you define 'genetic modification'. By some definitions, you could include grapes, watermelon, tomatoes, and a million other things. Regardless... most of the negative hype you hear about GMOs is just alarmist baloney. I've never seen any data to suggest that the GMOs in our food supply are harmful to humans. They do have other problems (example: being overly aggressive and out-competing non-modified plants... ), but there's really no justifiable reason to be scared of them.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love corn. One of my favorite ways to enjoy it is below:

Spray some olive oil in a pan.
    Add a few shakes of red pepper flakes. Cook on low heat making sure not to burn.
    Add corn freshly cut from cob. (A can of corn works as well but fresher is always better.)
    Heat throughout stirring often. I like to cook mine a little longer and lightly brown the corn.
    Enjoy!