Sugar: The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Options
Every single day I go over my sugar intake that MFP recommends.

HOWEVER, it is predominantly sugar from fruit and natural sources such as apples, iceberg lettuce, carrots, small amounts of nonfat milk (in my iced coffee), and sometimes a serving of lowfat yogurt.

This should't be cause for alarm, right? Is MFP's sugar expectation too low to be realistic? Does anyone else have this problem? I don't know how it would be humanly possible to hit their recommendation every day. I eat one apple and BAM I'm at limit. As long as my sugar is good natural sugar I'm okay right??? :/

Replies

• Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Right. Sugars, like fats, have their good sides and their bad sides and your body responds differently to the different kinds. If your source of sugar is natural (i.e. fresh fruits, honey, raw, unprocessed sugar, etc) you're in good shape. Some would argue that as long as you're not going over your caloric limit it doesn't matter what kind you consume. In short term, this may be true, but in long term, processed foods of any kind have many chemicals that are not only unhealthy, but addictive. This can create a cycle of craving more of the "bad" stuff whereas the natural stuff will do a far better job of curbing your cravings. Hope that helps!