Walmart Selling GE corn---unmarked

Options
Just found out Walmart is selling genetically altered corn. This corn is actually designed to cause insects organs to rupture so the corn grows better. Problem is, in lab testing, it caused organ failure in lab rats. Now they are selling it to the public with no warning labels or anything. I was so mad about this earlier when I read about it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

General Mills refuses to use this corn in their cereals, and I believe they are owned by the tobacco company. That tells me a lot if they are refusing to use it.

Replies

• phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Specifically: Would you eat that corn? Should it be labelled? Are other companies doing this; I have only heard of Walmart so far?
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I does bother me to hear this. If I can, I try to buy organic produce. However, it's very hard to control what's in the food you get in a restaurant. I guess it all comes down to making as healthy of choices as possible and being as informed as you can.:flowerforyou:
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    It's walmart. You should read the book "The Walmart Effect"

You may start shopping elsewhere if you are into ethics and environment.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Source?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Source?
    Providing sources is so 7th grade. This is the innerwebs.
  • jmalone71
    jmalone71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have only been buying organic corn for this very reason, it disgusts me and disturbs me that they would market this for food !!
    I think all GM food needs to be marked, but they won't because they know that no one would buy it !!

http://www.saskfarmersmarket.com/show_news.php?n=35415

http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm#headingA11
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First, do you have any actual proof that Walmart is selling this?
    Second, do you have any proof of the claims that the corn had this effect on rats?
    Third, have you heard of any people or have any proof that said effects have happened on people, or is this just a warning for rats?
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You're eating GM corn if you eat almost anything processed or any fast food.

http://www.ecoliteracy.org/essays/we-are-what-we-eat

Eat organic corn and stay away for processed foods and fast foods if you want to avoid it. Same goes for soy.
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Source?
    Providing sources is so 7th grade. This is the innerwebs.

If you can't believe something you heard from someone with a blog, who can you trust?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    All corn today is genetically altered. Not all with bug genes, but none of it is the corn of corn ancestors.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Most corn sold in the U.S. is genetically modified (edit to clarify: in the lab, as opposed to traditional breeding methods). If this concerns you, I recommend you learn more about it. Unfortunately, in the U.S., there is no requirement to mark genetically modified foods. Companies can voluntarily label foods that aren't modified; best to assume any other produce may be modified.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I have only been buying organic corn for this very reason, it disgusts me and disturbs me that they would market this for food !!

yeah, making it so that food can be grown in areas that previously couldn't support food is dumb. so is making crops need less pesticide, keeping it off the food and out of the run-off from watering, which then gets into water, to other animals, etc.

also, odds are that you are eating GM ingredients even in your super special organic foods. more than 90 percent of canola seeds and soy in this country are modified in some way. upwards of 85 percent of corn is, too.

also, while there hasn't been any mass study done, of the studies done both here and by the british -- who initially were against GM foods but have now said studies show there are no health issues there -- show it is perfectly safe.
    I think all GM food needs to be marked, but they won't because they know that no one would buy it !!

and I think this is probably wrong, too. but whatever.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    also, this:

chicken_little-sky-is-falling.jpg
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Just found out Walmart is selling genetically altered corn. This corn is actually designed to cause insects organs to rupture so the corn grows better. Problem is, in lab testing, it caused organ failure in lab rats. Now they are selling it to the public with no warning labels or anything. I was so mad about this earlier when I read about it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

General Mills refuses to use this corn in their cereals, and I believe they are owned by the tobacco company. That tells me a lot if they are refusing to use it.

Where did you read that General Mills doesn't use corn in any of their cereals???

Chex is a GM cereal and they make corn chex............I know there are more.

And do you really think that wheat isn't GMO??? Sadly mistaken if you think otherwise.

Monsanto is here to try and rule the world and from what I see, people (especially in the US) are going to sit there and let them do it by feeding their corporation by buying the crap stuff.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I would eat it.

I am not a rat or an insect. I don't think I will explode xD
  • lessfatmatt
    lessfatmatt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think the study the OP might be talking about is this one:

A Comparison of the Effects of Three GM Corn Varieties on Mammalian Health
    http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm

I've only read the abstract though, so I don't have much to say about this yet.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I does bother me to hear this. If I can, I try to buy organic produce. However, it's very hard to control what's in the food you get in a restaurant. I guess it all comes down to making as healthy of choices as possible and being as informed as you can.:flowerforyou:
    I do not think that organically grown means that it would not be genetically modified.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Not surprised...it IS walmart afterall. Whatever is cheapest and most convenient for them is what they're going to do. Don't like it, don't buy it.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You do understand that most of the foods we eat, even the fruit & veggies are genetically modified, right? Try shopping at a farmers market...even though the seeds most farmers are forced to use are genetically altered...but they're a lot closer to natural than a lot of things we buy. Shopping at a huge chain like Wal-Mart if you're worried about GE food is just kinda funny really...