Thyroid problem

Options
I have really been having trouble losing weight and several other problems. I have been doing a lot of research and I honestly believe that it is my thyroid. Since at the time I do not have any medical insurance I was wondering if anyone knows a vitamin or any natural things that I can take to help.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    until you find out if it's hyper or hypo thydoidism, or another problem entirely, I don't know that there's much you can take, since taking the wrong drug for a general problem could make it worse.

This page has some suggestions for overall thyroid health though:
    http://www.nativeremedies.com/articles/natural-remedies-increase-thyroid-function.shtml
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Since you did not describe what other problems you are having besides difficulty in losing weight, it would be hard to say if your thyroid is to blame. I would suggest that you find a clinc that can test your T4, T3, and TSH levels because if you do have a thryoid hormone deficiency it can cause numerous problems for you. You might want to read up on some symptoms of thryoid deficiency and if you feel that you have multiple symptoms go see a doctor. I understand that money is an issue, but believe me in the long run you will spend more money attempting to correct a problem if you let it go on for too long. Thryoid medicine is one of the cheapest meds out there too, mine costs $4 a month and that is without insurance.
  • Kgrubaugh
    Options
    I am the process of reading Dr. Dr Colbert's book" I can do this diet” He has a lot of EYE opening information. He also has interactive survey on line. This may give you some direction.
  • Meggs209
    Options
    It's really tuff not having insurance. But thyroid medicine isn't expensive. I have a thyroid problem as well. It's hyper actually. And the stuff I get is only 4 dollars a bottle w/ 30 pills in it. But it is the generic kind. If you think you have a thyroid problem I would not wait to get it checked out. Having a funtional thyroid is extremely important! It controls everything. So basically if you're thyroid isn't well then you are not well. My intention was not to scare you at all just concern.
  • christyodom2
    christyodom2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help!! :)
  • weebles
    weebles Posts: 50
    Options
    I also had trouble with my thyroid. My symptoms were: inability to lose weight, lymph swelling and fatigue. I had to have half my thyroid removed and was put on Synthroid. After taking this medication for a year and gaining weight from it...I stopped taking it. I had my T4, T3, and TSH levels checked every 3 months for the next couple years. Everything was normal. My doctor mentioned to me at my checkup that the medication must be working good for me. That' s when I informed her I had stopped it. She said as long as my levels were fine, no sense taking something I didn't need. This was actually 10 years ago.

I am NOT condoning stopping meds on your own like I did. But make sure you actually NEED to be taking it. Why put something into your body that doesn't do anything? I have had this happen with other meds and just am very skeptical whenever a doctor tries to get me to take something. I question them, search the internet, get second opinions, etc. It's YOUR body...