So confused, Bmr, Tdee ? Somebody please help.

Options
Hi everyone, I have been a member of MFP for a little over a week, I feel that I am doing pretty well but I am so damm confused with how many calories I'm supposed to take in, when I filled in my stats MFP worked out my daily allowance to be 1960 according to my BMR, but now I have been reading in other forums about a TDEE and that we should be eating somewhere between the two, so I follow the link put in my stats and this site gives me a BMR of 2384 and a TDEE of 2861, that's a whole bunch of calories more than MFP calculated for me, what the hell do I do? Someone help me out please.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Read the first post by Helloitsdan in this thread - it explains it very well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    All the Initial Word Salad ......bmr, tdee. Bfd. If you're interested in statistics, use that stuff....but don't feel like you have to to succeed. Overthinking can make you overstress.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just stick with eating the calories MFP set. And if you workout, eat 50-75% of those calories back.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't worry about it. If you're just starting and are happy with how you're doing, just use MFP as it is set up. People make a big deal about BMR here but it doesn't really matter and you don't need to worry about it. Just remember MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories, otherwise your deficit could be too big. Just try to get that green number as close to 0 as possible each day.

ETA: as lemon mentioned, some people prefer to only eat a portion of their exercise calories because the MFP estimates can be high. It's not an exact science, so if one way isn't working out for you, adjust up or down as needed.
  • Janie3765
    Janie3765 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, think I will just stick with MFP calculations it's been working so far so if it aint broke!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When/if you plateau then come back and worry about bmr and tdee.
  • xBeckie_Sx
    Options
    i have a similar thought that MFP recommends 1400 a day and Tdee says 2179! i always stick to MFP the best i can and it seems to work...