Protein and fiber intake higher than goals.

Options
Hello all,

I have been logging my food and exercise in MFP and have noticed at times that while my caloric intake is below my goals my protein and fiber intakes exceed them at times. I do not know whether this has an effect on weight loss but have noticed more fluctuations in weight recently. Any advice?

Replies

• petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I personally thing your goals for protein and fiber are too low anyways. So it's good that you're going over. I eat 25g or more of fiber a day. And "try" to get close to 100g of protein, but rarely go over 60-70g.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    IMO, MFP has the protein and fat set far too low. I changed my own goals. You will most likely have BENEFITS from higher protein, especially if you are getting adequate healthy fats too.

Fiber is good and just goes through your body. I get enough fiber from just eating vegetables.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Advice: keep it this way. If you look at how much you weigh, divide that by 1/2 and you get what you really should be getting in protein each day to help repair muscle and keep energy levels up. MFP lowballs it. Let's say you weigh 200 lbs (just an example) then you would need 100g protein per day.

Fiber is good for digestion and regularity. Drink plenty of water to help it along and you should be good to go.

As for fluctuations, so many different things can cause that. If you don't exercise for a week and then go on a killer hike, you're gonna weigh more the next day due to water retention. Again, drink water. Water water water.

Water, protein, fiber = GOOD =):drinker:
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that big of a problem. Especially the fiber. I keep reading the more fiber, the better. Mine is set to 25 (the amount a female should consume in a day) and I usually end up at at least 10 over. I also read about how good protein is for you when weight training, so I wouldn't be too worried about that either.

14877786.png
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Hello all,

I have been logging my food and exercise in MFP and have noticed at times that while my caloric intake is below my goals my protein and fiber intakes exceed them at times. I do not know whether this has an effect on weight loss but have noticed more fluctuations in weight recently. Any advice?

Your protein is ok and it's ok to exceed a little. My guess is fiber is the recommended minimum, so again, no problem there.
  • zoombaby
    zoombaby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind proteins are building blocks of the muscle(and every cell in human body) and as such important macro nutrient needs more energy for processing, thus thermic effect of food it's higher. What's that mean for you its, you can eat more protein get more calories and still lose weight. NOTE: those are slight variation, doesn't mean you can eat double your kcal.

Fibers are also very important specially because it help you slow your nutrient digestion, some of them we can't even digest whatsoever, meaning 0kcal, such example would be Psyllium although there is some kcal value on the declaration of it, but its 100% indigestible by the humans. Some of them worth only 50% digestible.

I hope I helped you clarifying some of the things, for more details you should give more information exactly what is the problem.

EDIT:
    I just have look at your diary, and yea you need to bump those proteins higher, say 1g per 1kg if you don't train, 1-1.5g per kg if you train.
  • peralta855
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments:) They have been very helpful and certainly have eased my mind!

Allison made a good comment about water. I do have a problem drinking enough water which of course does not help digestion.