Help me to fulfill my dream

Options
Ok so I am really unfit. I haven't really exercised much in over 10 years. I have a little Rheumatism in my knees that affects me sometimes but I really want to be able to run 5kms. I started exercising about a month ago on my treadmill, mainly walking at first. I downloaded the C25k week 1 podcast today and I plan to follow this course of action but I have been reading a lot of topics and information and it occurs to me that I need the right running shoes and running equipment, but not sure exactly what I will need or anything really.

What I am basically asking you guys for are running tips, information and what kind of shoes, clothes etc I will need to fulfill this dream. Thank you in advance x

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    if you have a local running store go there if not go to the dr scholl's kiosk at walmart that will tell you alot about your feet and do your shoe research and research about feet it helps alot
  • shrinkingkiwi
    shrinkingkiwi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Shoes and underwear.

I got some shoes from a shoe shop that puts you on a treadmill to get them right (my feet apparently roll). They might be able to suggest some shoes that help with your knees. I also bought a couple of different good sports bras (as I am big busted and figured if they were different fits it would minimise rubs if I rotate them), and some jockey non-slip/sweat underwear (sounds weird but it saves the world of discomfort). This means I am at least comfortable. Although the stuff costs a bit, and of course my size is changing and I will need to replace some of it. Everything else = tops/trackpants/shorts are all the cheapest I can find - they seems to get really pilled quick from the friction and frequent washing and you will shrink out of them - so don't bother spending too much there. Once you are at your goal weight you can look at skin tight numbers - but they still terrify me!

You might want to check about your knees though as running is way harsher than walking and if you end up in pain you will stop. When I run in timed races, some of the walkers are faster than me and doing some serious cardio, so worth talking to physio about what is best for you.

It costs a bit to get set up, but it is small fry compared to what it will cost to replace your wardrobe with skinny clothes in the end anyway.
  • Chloe_P78
    Chloe_P78 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good for you Annie! My advice would be to find a training buddy, preferably someone who is fitter than you and will keep you motivated and on track whilst gently pushing you out of your comfort zone. Good luck!
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I live in the UK, we have sports stores but they are more prone to selling you the most expensive rather than what you need. We don't have a Walmart here. I definitely like the sports underwear tip, I have a bra but didn't even think of knickers lol. As for a friend, I think I will have to ask my partner, she is not much fitter than me but she will help lol. Thanks for the tips so far guys xx
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    also make sure you are running with correct form look online for tips and videos