I want to lose weight, but...

Options
I've been reading some of the posts on the forums, and I feel a bit better about asking for some help. I never really thought of myself as the type of person to have issues with food. When giving myself a "fresh" start, I eat and exercise really well for a couple of days up to a week or so. But I never fail to crash, and crash hard.

I told myself this time I'd lose the weight without purging (might as well call it what it is), but that didn't last long. I recognize that I have emotional and medical issues that makes eating and exercising difficult, practically impossible some days. I realize that I don't have to live my life completely unsatisfied with my body, but I find myself constantly thinking "What's the point?" Any advice?

Replies

• makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Well I suffered from bulimia from the age of 12, and i'm now 19 and i've officially been purge free for nearly two months (: I've been using this site for about the same amount of time too... so I can kind of see a correlation there. I think the support, encouragement, success stories etc. have really helped me to have a positive mindset (because it is ALL about the mindset). I want to get fit, not just thin! Hopefully you'll be able to realise that you can make the right food choices and exercise and get the results you want without bad habits.
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    We all feel defeated at times. I worked really hard this week to be good and didn't lose an ounce. But you might have some deeper issues and should see a professional. I think you would benefit greatly from therapy. There is nothing wrong with seeking help. In the meantime, try to think of the reasons that you want to lose weight. Try to find motivators. Think about what your life would be like when you are healthy and then think of the alternative. Also, if you make a "mistake" don't give up. Take each day, each minute, each second at a time and I think the burden would be easier to bear. I hope I was helpful.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Take each day as it comes, and be gentle with yourself.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I have health problems (PCOS), I used to be a very emotional eating as well, I purged my problems away with food, I was horrible about! It's okay if every day's is not a perfect eating day. I still go over count and eat something unhealthy probably at least once a week. I just start fresh the next day. I did a little at a time. I started with removing the sugary drinks, switched to crystal light, then just straight water. Get rid of the junk food, swap it for something healthier, like maybe veggie chips or rice cakes. Take a multivitamin everyday! I started out just walking 15 minutes 3 times a week, now I walk 60 minutes 4 times a week and 60 minutes of zumba the other 3 days. You can do it!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you feel your emotional issues are making it feel impossible, the best course of action is to find a good therapist. All the other information about how much to eat, when to eat, etc is useless if you don't have the emotional strength to handle making big changes. I've had my share of emotional problems, though different from yours, and I can honestly say I would not have made it this far without help.
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Some of us can do this on our own, others need some kind of help.

I went to a local weightloss organisation to get me going, and help identify my worst habits and give me a bit of a kick in the bum-bum to get me going!

Then this site has been great with maintenance for me. My will power isnt very powerful. I definitely needed help to get started.

Re: therapy. Most of us probably need therapy for something. Only you will know when is the right time. Just try and keep telling yourself that, even when losing weight, your body needs nutrients. Your body can learn other 'habits', which will be more nurturing, even if losing a few pounds. There is a message that weightloss is about deprivation. This type of weightloss is not sustainable... the kinder way works better in the long term (ie nutritious foods which are filling and low in calories)
  • jaymartin1978
    jaymartin1978 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and becoming healthy is not easy. Take baby steps. Every little thing counts. Do what you can and don't beat yourself up when you fall off get back on the next day. For almost 3 weeks I was the same weight but I refused to quit. You can do anything that you set your mind to and we are here to support you even when you slip. No one is here to judge we are all working towards the same goal. Good Luck and I wish you the best.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    We all feel defeated at times. I worked really hard this week to be good and didn't lose an ounce. But you might have some deeper issues and should see a professional. I think you would benefit greatly from therapy. There is nothing wrong with seeking help. In the meantime, try to think of the reasons that you want to lose weight. Try to find motivators. Think about what your life would be like when you are healthy and then think of the alternative. Also, if you make a "mistake" don't give up. Take each day, each minute, each second at a time and I think the burden would be easier to bear. I hope I was helpful.
    THIS :)
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    As you don't have a massive amount to lose I would strongly suggest setting your MFP calorie goal to 1lb a week and making sure you eat well - the right things and enough food. This will help prevent the binges and guilt and the circle you can get trapped in.

Take yourself away from negative environments (I had a weight loss tumblr last year and it was causing me to think in an unhealhty way as all the blogs I followed were pro ED, deleting it saved me from a full blown eating disorder).

Concentrate on getting strong, fit, healthy and never go hungry.

Don't give up.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think we are all our own worst enemy....we think too much and do too little...and by that I mean (and yes this is me too) we start out thinking we got this ...this is going to be easy....I have done this before no big deal yadda yadda but it is a big deal...the older we get and the more we have done the yo-yo dieting the worst our metabolisms get and the truth of "move it or lose it" becomes a real factor....we become used to sitting in our easy chair stuffing our faces with food that tastes AMAZING lol but the thing I have been trying to retrain my own mind on is this....when you feel like binging ...change your mind track and DO something instead....when you feel like ugh I am soooo tired....get up and DO something instead.....when I feel like ugh this is soooo hopeless I cant do this.....get up and DO something instead....in otherwords ....quit THINKING and DO..... :) each day is a trial and some days each hour is a trial because I am an emotional eater but I know I CAN DO this and so can YOU!! :) We all need help at times and thats ok ...God made us to be a team of people not loners....we work better with each other and can do amazing things as a team :) feel free to add me ....we can keep each other uplifted and DOing :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    speak to your family and speak to a doctor... you need professional help. good luck!
  • Moiirah
    Moiirah Posts: 14
    Options
    First off, thanks for all of the support! It is amazing to know that others are on the same road that I am going down. Just knowing that we want to work towards the same goal makes a difference.

I do need to go back and see a professional. Last time, I was only able to go for one session, but that's because my insurance ran out; not because I felt the need to stop going. I do want to go seek help. I posted my request here not out of the need for attention, but to be honest with myself and hold myself accountable to others.

To AlphamaleBAMF, wow, jut wow. I realize that certain weight loss methods are incredibly hazardous and that it's up to me to make that difference, that's why I first downloaded MFP, and then posted my message. Does it hurt that I am looking for some outside help while confronting some of my fears? Again, it's not that I don't want to or see any futility in seeking professional help, I just currently lack the funds to do so.

I really appreciate everyone's support. I want to be here to support you as well! Everyone has given me something to think about. :D