Winter alternatives to running and outdoor exercise

Options
First time posting here :smile: I think you guys and girls will know best.

I recently (week and a half ago) started loosing weight and exercising again. It is going great and I don't want to stop when it gets too cold to rund and exercise outsine. I know if I stop I will be too lazy to start again in spring.
So here is the problem: I'm a college student. That means two things:
1. I will not have a lot of time when classes start again
2. I don't have enough money for gym memberships or something similar.

I'm sure you have some great suggestions for cheap/free indoor exercise :smile:
Thanks!

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    How cold is too cold? Granted, I live in Maryland, which is temperate relative to a lot of places, but I can usually run outside most of the winter unless there's a substantial amount of snow on the ground. It doesn't take a ton of extra clothes to keep warm while running.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Does your college have a gym facility on campus? <-- usually free to students.

Invest in work-out DVD's.
    Find a cheap gym (students are often offered deals like $10/month, etc.).
    Make up your own circuit routine to do at home (plyometrics, calisthenics, etc <-- all use body weight).

You should still have time when you're doing classes full-time, I'm sure you can spare 30-60 minutes, 4-5 days per week to exercise a bit. I was going to Graduate school full-time, working full-time, and I have two dogs to care for and I still managed to go run or work-out 4 or 5 days per week. Time management is key.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Define winter? How cold? How long?
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart device (phone, tablet, etc) start looking for fitness or workout apps. I have a ton on my kindle fire. YouTube has videos like 30 day shred, Tae bo, and yoga. And if you do want to spend a little money, check out the health and fitness section at your Target or Best Buy.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Move to Texas, lots of great schools... year round outdoor sports!

Edit to be more helpful: Find some exercise videos online (youtube or whatever) and do those indoors.
  • ponywithhiccups
    ponywithhiccups Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From december to february it's usually below 0°C, difinetly too cold (and sometimes there is too much snow). In fall it is raining quite often too. Not the most pleasant weather :)
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock.Tv has really short videos too if you don't have much time.
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    I loved exercising outside last winter. But I'm in Georgia and our cold is not that cold. You can go to collagevideo.com and refine search by fitness level, type of workout and get a few dvd options.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Live in MN and it gets cold but there are plenty of days for outside exercise....skiing, snowshoeing, walking down roads or snomobile trails with cleats on boots:), shoveling snow for elderly people down the lane.....or for inside...dvds so many out there to keep from getting bored...inside bike or elliptical....look on craigslist...they have them on there cheap enough....get some gf's over and have a dance party a couple times a week......anything to keep moving :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Just dress properly and go outside! Why run away from the beauty that is winter! Embrace it! If you're running, your body produces a lot of heat. Just dress in light layers, wear water-wicking long underwear (to draw sweat away from your body) and something to protect yourself from the wind!

I once went out for a bike ride at 3 am in January. I believe it was at least -15C. It was one of the MOST fun experiences I've ever had!

The cold in the winter is no excuse to stay indoors, IMO!
  • ponywithhiccups
    ponywithhiccups Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Already some great ideas!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Skipping (jump rope) it's free, you can do it indoors and burns lots of calories!
  • 1Unsung1
    Options
    Walk up and down your staircase, That's a great form of exercise, especially if your stairs are quite steep, and by that I mean walk all the way to the stop and then back down again and repeat :)
    If you have stairs that is...
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    i know its not an indoor exercise, but cross country skiing is a fabulous workout during the winter:) and so much fun!i live in michigan, so its good to embrace the smowy weather! lol im not a fan of indoor exercise so i try to get out as much as possible. i did invest in an elliptical, and that has been really nice for the days that i workout indoors. not very cheap, but a great investment for health. good luck! !!
  • sarahpell
    sarahpell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out Zuzka on you tube, she is one of the founders of the Bodyrock movement and her exercises are always spot on and tough. :happy:
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    As crazy as it sounds, snow shoveling is a fantastic workout - not much opportunity on campus but like someone mentioned you might be able to find someone to help who's elderly/handicapped and then you've accomplished two great things at once!
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I bet you're going to be able to run outside longer than you think. I started running in October and didn't break down for the gym membership until March when it was too rainy. Granted, we had a mild winter. Running in the cold is really awesome and Christmas lights are so pretty to look at. It takes me longer to feel the burn when I run during the winter and the cold air feels good after running. Other than days it is snowing, most paths get cleared pretty well.
  • Add76
    Add76 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are daily workout apps you can get which are good (e.g Daniel Miller Daily Ab workout etc).
    You could easily fit using these into a busy schedule.
    Resistance bands are not bad, They don't cost a fortune and are easy to carry around.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'd say run out side, or buy a outdoor cycle and cycle. I cycle outside everyday, whether it's -10 degrees C raining or plus 30 degrees C. No such thing as bad weather, just poor choice of clothing.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but I'm in Quebec, Canada, where the temperature very very very often goes down below -20C (-4F) during the winter, add to this a few feet of snow, and I'm out and running every day. And I LOVE IT! Actually, I'd rather run during the winter than any other time of the year. The cool (and very often very cold) weather helps me cover more miles/run longer. I went through two pairs of grippers last winter, so I bought another two for this winter.

I started to run last October, and I told myself that if I could run all winter long, I could accomplish anything. And I'm still here, and love running. I took a gym membership, but barely go there. I need to be outside.

If you can, snowshoeing is another great exercise and a great calorie killer for the winter.