How many eggs is too many eggs?

Options

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    i would keep an eye on cholesterol. 35 whole eggs sounds like a lot, and i also remember that one whole egg is about half your daily recommended cholesterol intake.

interesting. I didn't know eggs had soo much cholesterol in them. Maybe i'l cut out the yolks and get my fats elsewhere. Just not tinned fish!

All the nutrition of an egg is in the yolk.. eggs get a bad wrap because of their cholesterol but the health benefit of eggs increasingly out weighs the risk. Where our concern needs to be is not in the purity of 35 nutritious eggs but in processed meats, fast foods, etc. My cholesterol was high, when I was fat, and I never ate an egg. Now I eat lots of eggs and my cholesterol is perfect. :)
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i would keep an eye on cholesterol. 35 whole eggs sounds like a lot, and i also remember that one whole egg is about half your daily recommended cholesterol intake.

interesting. I didn't know eggs had soo much cholesterol in them. Maybe i'l cut out the yolks and get my fats elsewhere. Just not tinned fish!

Recent studies on Cholesteral in eggs has found that they do not affect overall blood cholesteral. The corelation between fat and cholesterol is focused mainly on Hydrogenated trans fats. Also called Saturated Trans fats. Like shortening but not lard. Processed grains even whole can havde more of an effect on the bodies forming of non health (LDL) cholesteral. These have been reported in many health journals over the last couple of years. Although with 35 eggs a week that seems like a lot of fat intake. But some body builders are known to swallow a dozen raw eggs at a time.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Here's a short summary by Harvard Medical School regarding Facts vs. Myths about eggs and cholesterol. http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/egg-nutrition

Even if there was a significant connection between dietary cholesterol from eggs and blood lipid cholesterol, it only matters if you believe in the lipid hypothesis. In my view, anything that is still just a hypothesis, 150 years after it was proposed, is junk science.
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    Options
    Thanks for all the great answers. :smile:
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 large egg whites pretty much everyday - and buying organic & cage free gets a bit expensive - lol. Loving these summer months when I can buy them at farmer's markets. They are my main source of protein, too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i agree that eggs get a bad rep, but they do have some cholesteral, but they also have some good stuff in them! i make about half a dozen hard boiled eggs a week, and love them.

but they do have some bad stuff, and while an egg or even two a day isn't bad, well, 35 a week might have some repercussions.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608/
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have eggs almost every single day!
  • mscandyfloss
    Options
    Stop when you haven't been to the toilet for three weeks!
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    Options
    I eat 4 large egg whites pretty much everyday - and buying organic & cage free gets a bit expensive - lol. Loving these summer months when I can buy them at farmer's markets. They are my main source of protein, too.

I always try and get local farmers egg too. Makes me feel like im doing my bit. :)
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    Options
    Stop when you haven't been to the toilet for three weeks!

Christ i think i'd be a bit worried if that happened. No problems there. :)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Just saw a news report last night and they were saying around 1-2 a day is fine. However, other schools of thoughts say more is ok, but I hope you have no history of cholesterol issues in your family, you might check with your doctor and have him do a cholesterol check, if it's fine then you are not doing yourself any harm.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing more egg whites than the yolks itself. This morning for breakfast I had 4 large egg whites mixed with one large egg. That's a good amount of protein to calorie/fat ratio.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 whole eggs everyday, my Cholesterol has dropped from way to high to perfect since I have been doing it, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I would get a blood test if your worried and then check again in 3 months.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Mmm ... eggs. I eat 4 whole hard-boiled eggs every day. :flowerforyou:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs at the moment, around 35 a week and wondered how many of you use eggs as a large part of your protein intake. Am i eating eating too many and can this be bad for me?

I eat about the same amount. 5-6 per day most days.

My lipid profile is better now than it has been in a long time.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    The great egg debate.....lol

I would only see an issue if you have existing healthy problems as egg yolk has been linked to cholesterol issues. I am not a doctor though.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I don't know but LOOK AT YOUR BODY! You look AMAZING!
  • mhopp71
    mhopp71 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My 16 year old son is a bean pole and can eat what he wants. He has been known to eat 10 scrambled eggs in one sitting
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I eat two whole eggs a day. Usually hard boiled or over-easy, drenched in rooster sauce. yum!
  • pjstar31
    pjstar31 Posts: 26
    Options

Great article! I like how they mention that the research was funded by the egg industry but then they point out that the results are in line with other studies that were not funded by the egg industry.