"cheat day/meal" that's not really a "cheat day/meal"?

Options
Hey, so I had an idea about how to do a weekly "cheat day" (well, more like meal) from now on and I would like to know what you all think.

So the plan is to eat my normal amount of calories every day (a little more than 1600) and also do my usual workouts each day. I burn about 500 calories each day, according to my heart rate monitor, and work out 4 or 5 times a week. Instead of eating back those calories on the day I burn the calories, what if I eat them back on my "cheat day"? This way I can still keep my sanity by being able to have a few heavier meals (usually wings... LOTS of wings) on Saturdays and still stay within my weekly calorie deficit. And I hear straying from eating the same "healthy" food every day can help keep you from plateauing.

Any thoughts? I honestly don't know if this would be a good idea or not, so let me know. And no offense, but I plan on keeping the cheat day regardless. I still lose weight, but just at a rate of about 1lb per month now. I figured this could keep me on track a bit better.

Replies

• joebob66
    joebob66 Posts: 38
    Options
    why not, if it works for you, too many people lose the weight and just give up and gain it all back, why not do it so you still want to keep it up, i have a cheat day myself, and living in chicago, the food is just too good, especially pizza and sausage
  • spidertheman
    spidertheman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wish I could live in an area like Chicago. I'd be like a kid in a candy store on my cheat day... I think I'm gonna have to make a stop at the candy store this Saturday.
  • pepin1224
    pepin1224 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Vegan tacos. they are delicious.

2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 small onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 1/2 cups cooked lentils (from about 1 cup dried)
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons hot sauce (preferably Cholula)

Spice mix:
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 teaspoons ground ancho chile
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon salt

First combine all of the ingredients for the spice mix and set aside. Also, keep a cup of water within reach, you’ll need to add splashes as you cook.

Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sautee the onion and garlic in the oil with a pinch of salt for about 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Add spices and toss them for 30 seconds or so to toast.

Lower heat to medium, add lentils, a few splashes of water, tomato paste and hot sauce; use a spatula to mash them a bit as they cook, until they hold together. If your spatula isn’t strong enough to accomplish this, just use a fork. Do this for about 5 minutes, adding splashes of water as necessary if it appears dry. Taste for salt and seasoning; you may want to add more spices or hot sauce. And that’s it, time to serve!
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Ummmm... that was totally irrelevant.

And OP, I think that's a really good idea. You gotta do what keeps you on track and having something like that to look forward to sounds perfect. I don't see how it could set you back *too* much, unless you're putting down like 3000 calories for that meal/day.
  • spidertheman
    Options

And OP, I think that's a really good idea. You gotta do what keeps you on track and having something like that to look forward to sounds perfect. I don't see how it could set you back *too* much, unless you're putting down like 3000 calories for that meal/day.

Haha, so true
  • pepin1224
    pepin1224 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Sorry, maybe I should have explained more. I was really addressing when he said "This way I can still keep my sanity by being able to have a few heavier meals (usually wings... LOTS of wings) on Saturdays and still stay within my weekly calorie deficit. And I hear straying from eating the same "healthy" food every day can help keep you from plateauing." What I meant to put was there is healthier ways to eat those "heavy meals" or typical comfort foods and then offer an example. I just got excited when thinking about vegan tacos and skipped all that.
  • spidertheman
    Options

Sorry, maybe I should have explained more. I was really addressing when he said "This way I can still keep my sanity by being able to have a few heavier meals (usually wings... LOTS of wings) on Saturdays and still stay within my weekly calorie deficit. And I hear straying from eating the same "healthy" food every day can help keep you from plateauing." What I meant to put was there is healthier ways to eat those "heavy meals" or typical comfort foods and then offer an example. I just got excited when thinking about vegan tacos and skipped all that.

I figured you meant to say something other than that, haha. But I think I'm gonna stick with the massive amount of wings. It's no joke come wing night. That and I still to have healthy "heavy" meals, they just always tend to be a different mix of the same ingredients every night since.