Newbie Runner and Achey Knees!

Options
I'm hoping to become a fully fledged member of this weight loss and fitness malarky, so have started to run for the first time in my life (I'm 41), using the NHS Couch to 5k in nine weeks programme.

But each time I get home my knees are so incredibly achey, where I am so unfit, I'm concerned it won't ever go away. Muscles all seem ok though...

Has anyone else managed to overcome this, if so, how long before it eases off (if at all)? And are you now an accomplished runner as I am hoping I will be at the end of this?

Replies

• Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    do you have GOOD running shoes? the kind that come from a bona-fide running store? number one, that makes a world of difference!
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    finish the program because its a really good one. The knees will get better with time. The key is to not injure yourself in the process. So what you have to ask yourself is if you are injured or are you hurt? If your injured you should stop and take some time off until your better. If your hurt, then just push through it. remember your doing something to your body that it has never had done before. Good luck with your journey.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am curious to hear the responses. I am experiencing the exact same thing at the moment.
  • vancoolie
    Options
    do you have GOOD running shoes? the kind that come from a bona-fide running store? number one, that makes a world of difference!

I have some good asics ones from a running shop but hubbie got them as a pressie so I wasn't there to be fitted up, so think it may be a wise investment to get new ones fitted properly.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I agree be sure you have good shoes. I have to listen to my body. Is it a burn or pain. Big difference. If my body is in pain it needs a break so I don't end up with an injury. Good luck and keep moving forward :)
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm working on this now. Get real running shoes from a real running store. They will observe you while you walk/jog/run to determine the appropriate shoes, and will educate you if your form isn't correct. The shoes can be a bit pricey, but worth it.

Also, you may want to think about including a weight lifting regimen that hits the lower back, and legs. I noticed a marked improvement in my walking/jogging as I did my weight lifting routine (part of my routine is Squats and Straight Leg Dead Lifts).
  • cat_brandwood
    cat_brandwood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar problem for years, my self treatment (my doctors were useless at helping) was plenty of rest if I overdid it and it was painful. I then started doing other low impact exercise to help raise my fitness without too much pressure on the knee. Swimming is good and plenty of walking to strengthen the knee without the heavy impact of running.

Most importantly you need to rest if your knees hurt - I didn't once and ended up unable to walk without severe pain for a week.

I'm still no runner now (mostly because I don't enjoy it that much) but my knees can at least handle it - I very rarely get any pain these days. I did get to a stage where I was able to run reasonably long distances quickly so I guess it worked.
  • ecgwood
    ecgwood Posts: 7
    Options
    I started C25K when I was 45. I learned that if the pain wasn't immediate and acute that I would get over it in time. I just continued to take Ibuprofen when needed, got a really great pair of Asics Gel Nimbus running shoes and the rest is history. I have now run a total of 9 5k's, a 4 mile race and am training for a 10K. This has taken me 2 years to accomplish but it is so worth it! I no longer have aches and pains unless I do an extremely long run (6 miles is my new tops). Hang in there. The farther you get in the program the better it gets, believe me. Don't push too hard too fast. Repeat days or weeks if necessary. Keep up the good work. You can get to a 5K if I can!!
  • vancoolie
    Options
    finish the program because its a really good one. The knees will get better with time. The key is to not injure yourself in the process. So what you have to ask yourself is if you are injured or are you hurt? If your injured you should stop and take some time off until your better. If your hurt, then just push through it. remember your doing something to your body that it has never had done before. Good luck with your journey.

Thank you, they do stop after about half an hour so not injured, the pain is very deep and dull, not sharp and twangy if that makes sense...
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have been there and done that..... during the C25K program I had problems with my knees at a point but it did go away. At one point it got pretty bad so I took 2 days off and that did wonders. No more problems! Keep it up it will go away! Welcome to the "club"
  • hougt
    hougt Posts: 1,088
    Options
    Where in your knee is the pain? Could be pain from your tendon (just had mine repaired from a tear) which can be helped by strengthening your knees with simple exercises.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    and congratulations!!! I started out a long time ago - I could barely run a block. literally...but kept at it. I had achey knees too - just keep strengthening your other leg muscles by doing weights, this will strengthen the surrounding muscles that help stabilize your knee. keep very controlled movements and don't pound your knees down while running downhill - make your running purposeful and controlled.

and take it slow, rest, take it slow and do it again. learning and conditioning yourself to run isn't a race in itself, it's a process and takes time.

but, shoes first! over-all leg weights/conditioning second. little bits at a time third. :D good luck! you can do this!!!
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    With Wet feet stand on a towel. If there is a distinct water void or only a small link between the back and front of the print this doesn't apply.....

I assume the pattern has no arch gap - flat feet, motion control running shoes.

Fixed mine instantly ... Infact been playing up a bit doing weights - prob cos I've been to lazy to put trainers on
  • vancoolie
    Options
    I started C25K when I was 45. I learned that if the pain wasn't immediate and acute that I would get over it in time. I just continued to take Ibuprofen when needed, got a really great pair of Asics Gel Nimbus running shoes and the rest is history. I have now run a total of 9 5k's, a 4 mile race and am training for a 10K. This has taken me 2 years to accomplish but it is so worth it! I no longer have aches and pains unless I do an extremely long run (6 miles is my new tops). Hang in there. The farther you get in the program the better it gets, believe me. Don't push too hard too fast. Repeat days or weeks if necessary. Keep up the good work. You can get to a 5K if I can!!

Very inspring :-)))))
  • vancoolie
    Options

Very inspiring :-)))))
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I had knee issues when I started running. You are doing a totally new activity after being somewhat sedentary I'm assuming. It's to be expected to have some aches. If it goes away, that simply your body getting used to it. Ice your knees for 20 minutes or so when you finish. If you hurt when it's time for another run - don't. Take it easy - don't push if there is pain that causes your stride to change. DH and I both had knee issues when we started running. I also do Zumba and strength train. DH has run multiple half marathons now, I'm training for one. No knee issues, so yes the knee issues go away. Good luck!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    All the above and...

Get into the habit of doing a proper stretch after each workout.
    Compression clothing: I have compression tights I wear during and/or after long runs: they really help with muscle recovery.
    Roller and massage balls: - easy to find on line including instructions on how to use them
    Cold baths: After a run get in a bath and THEN fill with cold water (so you don't get the shock of entering a cold bath)
    Work on your running form - as you are doing C25K this isn't going to be a priority for you now, but as you get used to running for longer periods of time read up on proper posture and running technique as this will help prevent injury.
  • vancoolie
    Options
    With Wet feet stand on a towel. If there is a distinct water void or only a small link between the back and front of the print this doesn't apply.....

I assume the pattern has no arch gap - flat feet, motion control running shoes.

Fixed mine instantly ... Infact been playing up a bit doing weights - prob cos I've been to lazy to put trainers on

Have actually just gone and done this and there is a gap, so I don't think feet are flat. but great way to check.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    - walk 5 minutes before the run, walk 5 after and strech, but only after.
    - localize the pain - front, back or side. Your shoes might not have the right angle, inserts?
    It isn't the price of the shoes that count, but the fit.
  • sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69
    Options
    Have a read at the following:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beating-injury/injury-when-to-run-when-to-stop/238.html

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml

My knees only bother me after I did a hill run, I'm fine running on flat so I'm going to try a trail running shoes to see if this will make any difference.

Good luck with your run and enjoy!