Walmart Selling GE corn---unmarked

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    You do understand that most of the foods we eat, even the fruit & veggies are genetically modified, right? Try shopping at a farmers market...even though the seeds most farmers are forced to use are genetically altered...but they're a lot closer to natural than a lot of things we buy. Shopping at a huge chain like Wal-Mart if you're worried about GE food is just kinda funny really...

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!

There is a difference between hybriding, selective breed generating and genetically modifying. With GM / GE they actually change the DNA. The other 2 processes do not change the DNA of the food.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    GMO is SOOO vague. It can mean anything from Gregor Mendel's bean experiments to the spider DNA used to keep spiders away from most commercial tomatoes. Good luck finding any produce or animals that haven't been selectively breeded.

Selective breeding is NOT the same as genetic modification.

Selective breeding occurs in nature also, genetic modification does not.

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/genetic-engineering-vs-selective-breeding
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    All corn today is genetically altered. Not all with bug genes, but none of it is the corn of corn ancestors.
    ^
    This. If you go by a cornfield anymore, many are labled with a name & number. When I started seeing this a couple of years ago my original thought is that they were using something on the corn and they had to mark it so they knew the difference (trial & error maybe?). Especially this time of year, buy from a farmers stand.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Canola seeds???? There is no such thing. Canola oil is made from Rape seeds. When this was given to sheep it caused scraple! Canola oil is not good for you at all. It means Canadian oil company. Check it out on line.

well, some call them canola seeds. but, technically, you're right. rapeseed comes from canola plants.

what you aren't right about is that it's bad for you. no studies that show any link between disease and canola oil. it also contains monounsaturated fats -- which, when used in place of saturated fat, brings down LDL levels, reducing risk of heart disease. it also contains omega-3. which, again, is good for your heart.

canola oil works really well for sauteing and baking because of it's smoke point. this means less carcinogens and free radicals being released. again. good.

and they named it canola oil because, well, who would buy rapeseed oil? and it is technically a GM product, but it wasn't done in a lab ... they worked to selectively crossbreed rapeseed plants to lower the euric acid in the oil. (the same process, by the way, was used to create things like the seedless watermelon.)

Canola oil is a PUFA (polyunsaturated fat) and they are highly processed and rancid before they hit the store shelves.

These "vegetable" oils are NOT healthy in any shape, form or fashion and stopped using them several years ago.

Saturated fat is natural occurring (animal sources or coconut) and are shelf stable, meaning they do not go rancid sitting on a shelf.

I will continue to eat the healthier, saturated fats over a PUFA any day.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

You think the tons of round up they are using is not producing run off ? What rock have you been living under ??

no under-rock-living ... just rural living, amongst farmers and ranchers.

the way traditional pesticides were applied vs. the way roundup is different. traditional methods left LOTS of runoff of bad, bad stuff. it got to other animals. it got easily to the water. and it wasn't good for us, either. this new roundup, meanwhile, doesn't have runoff, because it goes into the soil. now, it definitely screws with the bacteria levels in the soil. it is throwing off stuff there, and they're working to figure out what that all means. but most studies have shown that roundup won't go deep enough into the soil to get into the water table.

And I am willing to bet those "studies" were funded by Monsanto. I don't believe this for a minute.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I would think that if you cared about your corn, you wouldn't be buying produce from Walmart. Just sayin'

um, walmart gets a lot of produce from local and area farmers.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. But who the hell buys produce from Walmart?

I do. Many do. You seemed to imply that walmart had inferior produce, or maybe that their produce is the product of an evil corporation. It isn't.

I guess you believe that Wal-Mart gets their produce from local farmers????

GTFOH.................when I used to shop at Wal-Mart everything says from California, Mexico, Chile, etc...........I am in the Midwest, yeah that is local farming at its finest.

I prefer going to the Soulard Farmers Market in St Louis and buying from LOCAL farmers. I also have a CSA membership and Coop membership............local farmers again.

I eat what is in season, so in the winter the things that are available are way different than what is available in the summer.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I live in Iowa....Pretty much Corn freaking central. I can tell you that organic does not necessarily mean organic. If you want true organic fruits and vegetables, grow your own...even then it doesn't mean that it is organic. A lot of people with their own gardens use soil such as miracle grow, that has a TON of chemicals in it, in which the produce does acquire during growth. Then you have the natural soil in the ground, which is riddled with chemicals from the water you use to water it, or even chemicals from people fixing vehicles and dumping crap outside, which can live in the soil for years. Unless you make your own compost, which is still difficult, because the GM remains of produce that you throw in it will leak over to your home grown produce. Organic also doesn't necessarily mean it is 100% better for you. We're talking about what the USDA considers organic.....have you seen some of the rules and regulations they have on some of their products? Sick animals are allowed to be used for meat processes, and inspectors are humans, and humans make mistakes all the time. Mad cow disease for example...it is a disease which is spread by the feed they use for their stock, which can contain the by products and remains of other sickly cows. If the big farm chains use this feed, and recommend it...of course the local farmers will more than likely use it, especially if that is a popular brand that other farmers are ranting and raving about. To many people just eat, or buy without research these days. For example...If you feed your pets Purina dog food, or pet food from local stores such as Walmart, your feeding your pet a bunch of CRAP! Purina contains animal by products, GM veggies and Ethoxyquin....which is a stabilizer used to make car tires. The foods that the vets suggest you feed...are 10x as bad, why do they suggest it, well they make money off of the suppliers, and because vets are only required to take a few hours worth of nutritional classes.

You can not possibly rely on everything we buy to be fresh, healthy and safe, even if you grow your own. Sure farmers markets are great! But I can attest that they are not always as great as they sound. I have asked several questions at my farmers market, and you will be surprised to know, that they too grow GM produce(not all local farmer do). Local farmers here rely on their produce and stock for their only source of income for their families, and when times get hard, most people are willing to do just about anything to make a buck or two. I ALWAYS ask questions at my farmers market when shopping....sure people can lie, but most of the time they are honest. I have purchased GM grapes from a winery here....and I have bought GM melons from the farmers market.

Do your own research on everything! You wouldn't go out and buy a vehicle, new or used without researching or asking questions about specs, maintenance problems etc...same should go with your food. Do I buy from Walmart? No...Their produce here is usually pretty poor in quality, we did go to buy fresh asparagus from them the other day, and found that half of the stalks were rotten, slimy and just nasty. I usually go to a HyVee store here, much better quality, and a larger selection of local farmed produce. I do buy organic, non organic foods a lot....I have 8 mouths to feed. So I can't complain when I here stuff like this, as it is to be expected. But I also grow my own in the summer....sure I'm still subjected to chemicals and crap from the soil, but at least I know where it came from. People, stores, the government....everyone lies from time to time. Anything to make a few bucks!
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I would think that if you cared about your corn, you wouldn't be buying produce from Walmart. Just sayin'

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. But who the hell buys produce from Walmart?

I do. Many do. You seemed to imply that walmart had inferior produce, or maybe that their produce is the product of an evil corporation. It isn't.

GTFOH.................when I used to shop at Wal-Mart everything says from California, Mexico, Chile, etc...........I am in the Midwest, yeah that is local farming at its finest.

I prefer going to the Soulard Farmers Market in St Louis and buying from LOCAL farmers. I also have a CSA membership and Coop membership............local farmers again.

I eat what is in season, so in the winter the things that are available are way different than what is available in the summer.

I think Walmart receives certain produce/products from local farmers. I don't see a family of 4 trying to consume over 100 acres of corn, soy, or anything for that matter...I know here...our corn in Walmart does come from some of the local farmers, not all of the corn does, but a lot of it does. I used to work there, and I would see the local farmers bring in a few loads of produce at a time, usually corn, but then again I'm in corn country.

Edited for spelling
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I don't eat corn at all but it honestly doesn't surprise me. Take walmart produce vs farm grown produce, tue farm grown stuff is usually smaller but more flavourful.

I work at walmart and I'm not a vegetarian or anything but the sheer amount of meat that comes in and out of the store in one day makes me a bit sick.... especially when putting out a box full of cow tongues.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I buy almost all of my produce there. Im not sure what kind of walmart you have, but in my Iowa State college town walmart produce is very good.
  • debrawallin
    debrawallin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is that only in the US can Wal-Mart sell that junk, it's not allowed in any other country so the Wal-Marts in other countries sell better products. If folks would just stop buying products with GMO's and HFCS, companies just might get the message that we don't want their junk.
  • debrawallin
    debrawallin Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I think Walmart receives certain produce/products from local farmers. I don't see a family of 4 trying to consume over 100 acres of corn, soy, or anything for that matter...I know here...our corn in Walmart does come from some of the local farmers, not all of the corn does, but a lot of it does. I used to work there, and I would see the local farmers bring in a few loads of produce at a time, usually corn, but then again I'm in corn country.

Edited for spelling

If it is a GMO seed, it doesn't matter if it is local.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    The whole GM thing terrifies me. Fortunately the UK is being strict so far in labelling and allowing the use of GM products. I honestly do think this a time bomb in the making, and the effects of GM are not something that can be easily gotten rid of.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    you realise you probably eat many GM foods every day right?
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    Just depends on who is doing the GM? If it is natural process, then who cares. If it is a geek in a labcoat. Sweet.. LOL Grow your own, never leave the house. Don't become a Lab rat..
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    It is not just Walmart. I am sure that all corn and soy sold at stores that is not Organic is GMO (unless it states that it is non GMO product).
    Companies are not required to labeled GMO products but they should. Buy organic when possible to avoid GMO products.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    you realise you probably eat many GM foods every day right?

In the US, you're probably right!
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Kimg corn is an interesting documentary if you are interested in finding out more.

It makes me sad that lower income families are forced to either eat this crap or spend an entire paycheck at a higher end grocery store.
  • laulyn
    laulyn Posts: 70
    Options
    Canola seeds???? There is no such thing. Canola oil is made from Rape seeds. When this was given to sheep it caused scraple! Canola oil is not good for you at all. It means Canadian oil company. Check it out on line.

Canola is a plant. I know this because we farm and custom harvest and cut canola in Oklahoma this year. Yes, canola is a plant.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Most produce in stores are GMO unless they are organic. Its been this way for many years now. Buy local.