Strength training

Options
So, I am new to strength training, and I can barely do a push up! (LOL) If anyone has any tips or tricks as to how to get started/stay motivated. Or any ideas for routines. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!:smile:

Replies

• wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The best motivation for me is seeing the progress. When I started , I was using 5 lb weights and HATED jumping lunges because I could barely do 1! Now Im using 15-40lb weights (depending on the muscle group and exercise) and LOVE jumping lunges! I can do way more of them than I need to consecutively. If you will just start and trust the process knowing that you will quickly get stronger, the motivation will take care of itself. You CAN do it!
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    The best motivation for me is seeing the progress. When I started , I was using 5 lb weights and HATED jumping lunges because I could barely do 1! Now Im using 15-40lb weights (depending on the muscle group and exercise) and LOVE jumping lunges! I can do way more of them than I need to consecutively. If you will just start and trust the process knowing that you will quickly get stronger, the motivation will take care of itself. You CAN do it!

LOL! That's exactly how I feel right now! I am using 5 pound weights and I get tired after about 30 minutes of arm exercises! Just curious, how long did it take you to move up to 15-40 pound weights? I don't plan on going that high, because my goal is just to not look so flabby, not gain a TON of muscle, so I will probably only (hopefully) work my way up to 10-15 pounders.
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    Bump
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. :) Just starting it and love it. It's very individual based because you start with whatever weights are good for YOU, and for things like pushups, there are modifications :)
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

LOL! That's exactly how I feel right now! I am using 5 pound weights and I get tired after about 30 minutes of arm exercises! Just curious, how long did it take you to move up to 15-40 pound weights? I don't plan on going that high, because my goal is just to not look so flabby, not gain a TON of muscle, so I will probably only (hopefully) work my way up to 10-15 pounders.

I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Also, don't be afraid of progressing your weights heavier...you will NOT gain a ton of muscle. In order to "tone" your muscles, it has to be challenged. It takes a specific diet (with a surplus) and training. And even if you were doing so, it still won't be a ton, because as women we do not have the hormones for that.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I do Body Pump at my gym. It's one of my favorite classes, and it's very appropriate for women--the types of exercises and lifts.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    An excellent program is The New Rules of Lifting for Women...it's an easy read and the program is in the book with detailed explanations on how to perform each excercise , including reps, etc. There are also alot of groups you can join on here......Good luck!
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Check out the website for JC Deen fitness.....Losts of info, very practicle, and no marketing. JC's FREE booklet Looking Good Naked is a great primer for beginners
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    gotta start somewhere
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about bulking up. I push myself to lift heavy weights whether it's in class or on the circuit/free weights, and I haven't bulked up a bit. I've toned and built strength. To bulk up, you have to do some extreme heavy lifting and specialized diet.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    If you're a female, you are very unlikely to gain a "ton" of muscle, no matter how much weight you lift. Our bodies just aren't made that way. So lift more if you're using weights! Don't be afraid of it. The more you lift, the more you'll tone and the slimmer you'll look.

I found some great body weight exercises on Greatist that work well for me. I'm not much for using free weights or machines, so this fit my workout needs. And let me tell you, it's enough--you don't need a big professional program to do it right. Just focus on your form and let your body work for you.

http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere-030612/#
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Go get the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting" - it is excellent, and will give you many great routines
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    If you're a female, you are very unlikely to gain a "ton" of muscle, no matter how much weight you lift. Our bodies just aren't made that way. So lift more if you're using weights! Don't be afraid of it. The more you lift, the more you'll tone and the slimmer you'll look.

I found some great body weight exercises on Greatist that work well for me. I'm not much for using free weights or machines, so this fit my workout needs. And let me tell you, it's enough--you don't need a big professional program to do it right. Just focus on your form and let your body work for you.

http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere-030612/#

Yup, I found this list and have been working on a few of the exercises. As well as some others I have on different websites.
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    So, how does this look to you guys:
    Monday- Abs
    Tuesday- Arms
    Wednesday- Legs and butt
    Thursday- Chest and back
    Friday- Abs
    Saturday- Arms
    Sunday- break

I have about 5 exercises for each body section (ie 5 for abs, 5 for arms, etc.) Is this enough until I can bump it up to heavier weights and maybe add a bit more (ps. I am a female using 5 pound weights)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Go get the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting" - it is excellent, and will give you many great routines

^^^^^This....it's a great read! Very informative! Don't be afraid to pick up heavy things!
  • baxterlf
    Options
    Honestly, a beginner has no need to target train. Large compound movements will build core strength and work all the major muscles. Once you are more advanced then you can do some accessory exercises to target you weaknesses. New Rules is a great place to start. So do squats, bench presses, pushups, pullups, and deadlifts. Also check out Girls Gone Strong on FB.
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    Bump
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a beginner has no need to target train. Large compound movements will build core strength and work all the major muscles. Once you are more advanced then you can do some accessory exercises to target you weaknesses. New Rules is a great place to start. So do squats, bench presses, pushups, pullups, and deadlifts. Also check out Girls Gone Strong on FB.

^

As a beginner your training should be high frequency low volume. Body part splits are for much more advanced trainees. Check this out http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137364463
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    Does anyone have any beginner routines for a 18 year ols teen girl looking just to shape up, NOT bulk up? Ones that have very easy to follow instructions and only require hand weights? Thank you!
  • GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So I would start you off with something along the lines of this:

1 exercise per muscle, 12 Reps, 2 sets of each, 3 times per week.

Bicep Curl
    Tricep kickback
    Shoulder press
    Chest press
    Bent over rows
    Squats
    Lunges

Your weight should leave you struggling by the last couple of reps….this will take some trial and error.

All these exercises can be performed with dumbbells (hand weights) if you are unsure of form google the exercise it will bring up some good website that will show you proper form.