ATL, anyone?!

Options
OnWisconsin84
OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
Since the age of 17 I've always had this crazy idea about moving to Atlanta for a number of reasons & doing my thing (I started college to become a Meteorologist thinking I'd work for TWC, haha...that didn't pan out & went for Mass Comm / Radio Broadcasting).

Until now I've been in a few $hitty relationships, including a failed marriage, & have had some other things that prevented me from actually moving. I moved to Omaha right after college with my ex-husband, with zero family (WI, AR, AZ, LA) or friends here. Aside from my job (which is actually quite amazing) I have no real ties here outside of the friends I've made.

I'm not one to live with regret, so I feel now is the time to go for my dream while my ties are still loose. Seriously exciting for me yet at the same time, I'm pretty terrified at the thought of moving so far from family & starting something new. I'm giving myself 1 year to get my *kitten* together, work on saving up, finding a job, place to live, getting my body right :laugh: , etc.

That's where you come in: I'm also looking to start connecting with some of y'all in ATL. I'm planning a trip down in October / November, and another next spring or summer, probably by myself.

Anyway, who wants to be pals?! Male or female, no discrimination. Unless you're a creeper :smile: (Don't be afraid...just send me a request...with a message pretty please!!)

Tiffany.

ETA: I've spent the last 6 years working for a brokerage firm. Currently work as a Communications Analyst in Compliance. Would probably stick to this industry if at all possible, considering I worked my b@lls off for my licenses, but wouldn't mind a change of pace once I'm settled.

Replies

• Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I live just outside the perimeter on the NW side of Atlanta (city called Smyrna). The metro area has a lot of fun stuff to do, but the traffic makes me want to stab everyone so I usually stick staying outside the perimeter.
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Go do it girl! You deserve an amazing life!!! I would love to travel to Atlanta with u! Too bad I am sooo far away!
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Atlanta is ...interesting. I've driven through it probably a hundred times and never had the want to live there. Watch where you move to, it's not all safe. Just sayin'. I live not far from Tampa and I'm glad I don't live in town. But to each their own.

If you move, good luck! I'll be there in March(passing through).
  • sunflowerfaith
    Options
    I'm actually moving to ATL within the next month/month and a halfish. Would love to stay in touch :D
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I grew up outside of teh parimeter in Gwinnett Co. I still ahve family in Gwinnett. I miss it terribly and visit as often as I can. True there are some bad parts of the city and surrounding areas but there are also some really great parts. If you want to Live Insid ethe perimeter I recomend Decatur. That is where I lived before I moved to VA. FYI unless the stats have changes women really out number men in the ATL.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    well, having just moved from there..............We still own a house there because the housing marking tanked. They just voted down (again) any effort to improve the traffic situation. Due to the crashed housing market and bad traffic, jobs are scarce (but media might still be hanging in there). Humidity sucks. Atlanta is now being touted as the new "Detroit".

On a good note, the north Georgia mountains rock. Midtown is pretty awesome. There is a good art museum. Oh, and the Braves!
  • AccordingtoTodd
    AccordingtoTodd Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am living in Atlanta!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Georgia for the last 2 years...my advice? DONT MOVE TO GEORGIA
  • guapogringo
    Options
    I am here in North Georgia. Does anyone actually live in Atlanta? No one i know. There are some great suburbs. Georgia is great.
  • OnWisconsin84
    Options
    I am here in North Georgia. Does anyone actually live in Atlanta? No one i know. There are some great suburbs. Georgia is great.

Okay, okay. When I say ATL, burbs are okay :smile: Basically in or around the ATL region...
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I grew up there. It's changed alot. I visit, but sure as hell have NO DESIRE to move back.
  • OnWisconsin84
    Options

Keep in mind I'm currently living in Omaha. Nebraska. So yeah.

FYI, I find the weather to be quite fantastic. I'd rather deal with ridiculous humidity than 5 months of ridiculous snow any day. Done that for 28 years & I'm about done.

Definitely appreciate all the feedback!! :drinker:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy spending a lot of time sitting in your car.
  • marlopaterson
    Options
    I love ATL! I've been here 5 years now and yes, the traffic sucks -- but if you plan your work/house carefully like I did, you can have an "opposite commute" where the traffic is always on the other side :-)
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options

Keep in mind I'm currently living in Omaha. Nebraska. So yeah.

FYI, I find the weather to be quite fantastic. I'd rather deal with ridiculous humidity than 5 months of ridiculous snow any day. Done that for 28 years & I'm about done.

Definitely appreciate all the feedback!! :drinker:

If you want to move to a great place in the south with the humidity and without the crappiness of Atlanta, i HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend...Charleston, SC

I lived there for 15 years/....small town, with a beach, multiple 4-5 star resturaunts and a GREAT downtime night life. Plus it is beautiful and has a great history. I cant think of a better small town on East Coast that has all that.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy spending a lot of time sitting in your car.

Ha! Very true. I spent the summer after college living in ATL. It was fantastic for a partying 22 year old...
  • laughablyginger
    Options
    Definitely second the part about staying outside of the perimeter! Traffic can be a nightmare in Atlanta sometimes, which makes me happy that I live in the southernmost part of the metro area in Newnan. Atlanta always has concerts, art shows, etc. going on, and there is enough attraction-y type stuff to keep someone who is new to town busy for months. There are places that are absolutely beautiful. One place I love in the city is Inman Park (gorgeous) and Little 5 Points (funky). Outside of the city there is a place called Serenbe if you prefer quiet. Of course, some areas see their share of (disproportionate) crime rates, but most of the northern perimeter and the southwest perimeter area is a pretty safe bet.

We could always use more cool people in Atlanta, I hope you enjoy your trip here!
  • guapogringo
    Options
    well, having just moved from there..............We still own a house there because the housing marking tanked. They just voted down (again) any effort to improve the traffic situation. Due to the crashed housing market and bad traffic, jobs are scarce (but media might still be hanging in there). Humidity sucks. Atlanta is now being touted as the new "Detroit".

On a good note, the north Georgia mountains rock. Midtown is pretty awesome. There is a good art museum. Oh, and the Braves!

I have to respectfully disagree with most of this. "They just voted down (again) any effort to improve the traffic situation." It wouldn't have done nothing to improve traffic. Funds would have been used to line pockets of the politically connected. The citizenry realized this and it failed overwhelmingly by 30% points.

This i disagree as well: "Due to the crashed housing market and bad traffic, jobs are scarce"
    1.) Houses are on sale & rates are low. It is a great time to move here.
    2.) Bad Traffic? Don't live 30 miles from your work. That is your choice
    3.) Jobs? My small biz friends and myself have the same issue. We can't find qualified people that want to work.

Never heard this in my life: " Atlanta is now being touted as the new "Detroit"." Hogwash other than the rap ghetto thug lifestyle that exists in the inner city. Steer clear! Plus we don't have Eminem.

Three problems however that you didn't cite. 1.) The airport sucks 2.) The DMV sucks. 3.)Ttoo many yankees
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    Charleston, SC...TRUST ME
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've lived all over Atlanta, north side, south side, midtown. (I don't live there anymore.) There are great things about Atlanta, but for me, it's just gotten too big. As my girl gonzo said, I hope you enjoy sitting in your car.