The hangover

Options
124»

Replies

• bennysammysofie
    Options
    Drink more so you puke it all up at one point or another, maybe even puke and rally a lil, have a lil blackout, wake up and talk to your friends about piecing the night together to try to remember it, walk around zombie-like for a few hours in the morning eating everything in sight that doesnt wanna make you puke more. By that time its noon and college football should be on and then you start drinking again. :)h
    Of course, this is pre-kids. With kids, just dont drink much :)
  • ssilvey726
    ssilvey726 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hair of the Dog. Seriously. Hair of the dog. Not for the weak of heart. Worked for Charles Bukowski, and he's the biggest drunk I've ever heard of.

For those who don't know, Hair of the Dog is an expression meaning to drink more alcohol when you wake up. It does actually work. After a few drinks, have someone responsible drive and pick up something greasy to coat the lining of your stomach. I prefer a good fast food burger/fries.

When I lived in CA, a breadbowl of Clam Chowder was marvelous.

Good luck!

I seriously don't get this. You are hungover from being dehydrated, how does furthering your dehydration help?

I don't claim to know the science behind it, but it honest to God works. I'm not saying to wake up and just have another binge session like Bukowski would, but one or two beers to get the slightly tipsy feeling while waiting for greasy food works wonders. Once you've eaten the greasy food, start drinking water/gatorade with it.

Here is what Wiki says, kinda backing my point that it's not a full-time cure, but a short-term fix while you get the food/water going.

In the second, hangovers are attributed to methanol metabolism. Levels of methanol, present as a congener in alcohol, have been correlated with severity of hangover and methanol metabolism to the highly toxic formate via formaldehyde has a timecourse in keeping with the appearance of hangover symptoms. As both ethanol and methanol are metabolised by alcohol dehydrogenase - and ethanol is a much better substrate for this enzyme - drinking more of the former then effectively prevents (or delays) the metabolism of the latter. As pure ethanol consumption has also been found to increase endogenous levels of methanol presumably for this reason, this suggests that if “hair of the dog” works in this way it effects a temporary hiatus rather than a cure.