Chia seeds help

Options
How is the best way to use them? I put a T in my protein shake this morning but by the time I got to work my shake was more like chunky pudding. Should I soak them overnight first? Or should I use a spice grinder so they're finer? I really want the extra fiber but I can't bear to finish this shake even after adding water.

Replies

• pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Try putting a little less in, or add more liquid to your smoothie - extra soymilk, juice, water or whatever. Takes some trial and error.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Add more liquid to your smoothie, or reduce the amount of chia seeds.

I personally use them in my oatmeal, and not my drinks.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    grind them up helps a lot
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I put them in my blender bottle with protein powder. I love they texture when they get fat. Weird, I know! I have put them in my oatmeal or yogurt too
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I've heard it helps to soak them before using - but I have never used chia seeds. I have used ground flaxseed, which is also great for fiber and good source of omega-6 fatty acids.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't consume chia seeds, but a friend of mine does and she soaks hers overnight and then just uses the "gel" it creates on top of the water. She puts it in her drinks too...like her morning OJ. Maybe give that a try and see if it gives your shakes a better texture.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon is plenty for a smoothie if you're going to wait to drink it. I put a tablespoon, but I'm drinking it right away.
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I add them to my refrigerator oatmeal makes it thicker, made the night before so they time to soak...
  • wendyrvp
    wendyrvp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have never used them in drinks, but LOVE it in my oatmeal soaked overnight with some yogurt. I also like it soaked in SF Silk with fruit... like tapioca pudding. YUMMO
  • careerjobster
    Options
    dont put it in the shake. eat them with plain water.
  • poshcouture
    Options
    I usually grind them up first and then add them to my protein shakes. I have a nutribullet that grinds and blends so it's not very time consuming.
  • KristenAFL
    Options
    When you make the gel out of them do you use the same amount? For example, a serving on seeds is 1T so if I soak them 1T with 8T water overnight do I still just use a T of the gel in my shake?