Grocery Store tonight, how to not spend a fortune?

Options
Hi friends - I'm obviously a food-a-holic, otherwise I wouldn't be clinging to this site for support and reasons not to make excuses, right? So - I'm heading to the grocery store tonight to grab some groceries... I've already scoured the weekly ad to pick out the meat and produce on sale and made a list. However, actually going there is another story! Especially with the boyfriend going.

Question is, do you have any tips/tricks/advice for how to say no at the grocery store - and just stick to what's on the list?
Any help would be great :)

Holly

Replies

• MrsB724
    MrsB724 Posts: 247
    Options
    I bring a calculator with me (app on my phone) set the spending limit before we go in. As we add items to the cart deduct the money. It seems to make it more concrete what we are spending and helps us to really choose what we want.
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    Always go on a full stomach otherwise you'll pick food that you think you want just because you are hungry!

And pick ingredients that go together for recipes not just individual items that you can eat with anything, this helps me plan the meals ill eat in the week rather than choosing foods that i normally buy but never end up using :)
  • unicornsXglitter
    Options
    I will be bringing a calculator and grabbing a snack then - great ideas!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I just don't walk down some aisles - the ones with biscuits (cookies, maybe, to you), cake, sweets (candy) & chocolate, things I'll want and shouldn't have. If we need something from that aisle I send a "gopher" in - usually my OH now the kids have left home.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Bring a list and shop the outside of the store.
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your store does this but in the UK most of the supermarkets have 'sell off' sections where they sell off goods that have been damaged or are going out of date. Quite often you can snap up bargains eg. meat that is marked as going out of date the next day, for example, but if you freeze it you'll be able to use it for much longer than its best before date. There are also particular times of day when things tend to be marked down and you can grab a bargain.

Also, how about trying to get things that are perhaps a more expensive outlay but will work out cheaper in the end. For example, I don't know how much time and baking skill you have but you could get stuff to bake your own bread. A bag of flour that costs 60p would make me at least 1 loaf and 2 medium sized pizzas. Ok, you need to pay for some yeast, sugar, salt etc. but the sugar and salt you hardly need any and is a household staple. I can get a fairly sizeable amount of yeast for 90p which would last for numerous loafs of bread. Considering a loaf of bread here is usually at least £1, it could work out economical.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I just usually buy the same stuff and replenish it when it's gone. I have a better system for not buying too much/junk food than you, probably, because I don't have a car, I bike. And biking home with a sack of junk food would be like 30 minutes of guilt staring me in the face.

I also carefully consider any non-normal item and think of how I can use it in the future. Just grabbing it on an impulse is how I ended up with a big sack of nice smelling raspberry gummies in my fridge. Never be in a hurry to shop.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I always plan out my meals for the next week or two, make a solid list, seperate it into the grocery sections, go to the store ALONE (my boyfriend always tempts me to buy things off the list!), get everything checked off per section, and that's it. No extras. As for sticking to the exact budget, take a calculator, and truly keep track of each thing going into your cart. :) I hope this helps you a bit. Also, avoid the junk foods. No sense in spending money on things that will tempt you later on when you're searching the kitchen for a snack d:
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    go to walmart and price match!
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    I plan out what I will be eating for the week and only buy groceries based on that. I also look at the ads online to see what is on sale to help plan out what I'll be eating :)

ETA: Also, I only buy store brand.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Shop the perimeter first. Produce, meat, dairy, etc.
    Don't go hungry
    I don't eat frozen food, so I stay out of that area too. I buy all fresh veggies and fruits and only enough that will last me a few days so I don't buy something and it goes bad.
    Buy meat on sale and freeze it.
    Stay out of the snack/chip aisle. Lately the only aisles I go up are the rice/beans aisle and the cleaning/paper products aisle.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Hi friends - I'm obviously a food-a-holic, otherwise I wouldn't be clinging to this site for support and reasons not to make excuses, right? So - I'm heading to the grocery store tonight to grab some groceries... I've already scoured the weekly ad to pick out the meat and produce on sale and made a list. However, actually going there is another story! Especially with the boyfriend going.

Question is, do you have any tips/tricks/advice for how to say no at the grocery store - and just stick to what's on the list?
    Any help would be great :)

Holly

A. Just stick to what's on the list.

B. Shop at Trader Joe's.

I do 99% of my shopping at Trader Joe's. I buy almost exclusively organic and I spend $120-150/week for a family of 5.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    1.) Make out a grocery list and stick to it
    2.) Make a menu to go with the grocery list so you're not tempted to buy extras.
    3.) Stick to the walls (dairy, meat, produce, bread) usually on the perimeter, away from the chips and snacks.
    4.) Don't go hungry. Have a snack or go after you've had a meal
    5.) Shop with cash. My husband and I started doing this so we have to stick to a certain budget...makes it much more difficult to buy extras/snacks without going over budget.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Think of all the things you could spend that extra money on instead of spending it on coffee creamer, cookies, buttered crackers, 100 calorie snack packs, etc. That's what I did. I live on a tight budget these days so if it's not absolutely 100% essential for life, I don't buy it. Good luck!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I use dried beans at least one a week - making a big pot of lentil soup is super easy and cheap. I buy the big containers of plain yogurt and mix in some store-brand jam. Another good idea is to buy the huge family packs of meat - like, if I get 4 lbs of chicken breasts, I lay each piece out on a pan lined with parchment or wax paper and freeze them, then throw the individual frozen pieces into a large freezer bag so I can grab as many as I need and thaw.
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Explain to BF that you are trying to save money AND eat healthy..... (and that this will also benefit him!). Tell him if he wants junk food or snacks, to buy individual size bags to take to work or whatever but that you really don't want junk food in the house right now while you are working on your will power.

It's doable.... just keep plugging away at it!
  • EBBarbie
    Options
    If your boyfriend insists on throwing in unhealthy snacks, etc. limit him to watch can fit in the child seat of the cart. Then he has to be selective about what he gets and you will purchase less. I also base my menus on what is on sale in the ad. When I write my list I write it in the order that will take me to what I want without detours or crisscrossing the entire store. The longer you are in the store, the more money you are likely to spend. Stick to your list and don't be afraid to try store brands. Nowadays they are the same quality as the name brands although they may differ in taste slightly.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    First I go get my coupons (including online sites), then I make my list - I use a app called "Out of Milk" which allows me to input price, coupons and etc info into the list. Then I load it into the Kindle or print it out, grab the phone (w/ cal app) and head out.

I only buy what's on the list or of I have a coupon. BUT... I also check the price compared to the last time I bought an item (OoM app) and check the nurtional stats of new items (or substitue if they are out of the brand I normally buy).

That's basically it - oh, I also don't shop hungry or late at night. I tend to impulse buy more at those times, so I try to avoid them. Also, I rather shop alone - no hubby, he wants "his" things, which is fine they are on the list, but he's like a kid in the candy store in the supermarkets and wants everything that looks nommy.

It also helps if I'm on a time restraint or money restraint - can only grab what I can either afford or have time to find.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I went last night and spent way more than i intended!!! I bought all the salad fixing items. Tons of proteins and some pizza for my kids as well as the free EDEs icecream with the pizza (they hava a 100 calorie serving slow churned ice cream, better than skinny cow).

Anyways! My point is it could have been worse. I never deviated into an isle at all, hugged the outsides. Fresh fruits and vegies, lean meats, dairy and a few items for the kids in the last side.

I try to grab a bottle of water and sip while I am there. I went hungry cause our fridge was empty, but this is a do not normally.
    If you can meal plan that is even better, you can plan steak, make 1 extra and load it with vegies for a steak fajita. There are super super lean and pretenderized, cheap steaks at our store. We do chicken with a salad a lot, so we grill a bunch and keep it ready in the fridge. I plan to make (95%fat free) hamburger into tacos for the kids then do nachos with bluecorn chips tomorrow.

Planning it out on paper helps a lot and gets a lot easier too. Try making a master list of what you usually shop for and a master list of recipes you usually make. I have one for sides too. Then I highlight what I want to serve and buy from the printout..
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    check the store ads for bargains, make a list, and use coupons if you can. We regularly save $10-20 dollars a week by couponing. What others said about not going hungry is really important too...being hungry makes it harder to just avoid picking up cookies or other snacky kinds of things.