The stress of trying to lose weight

Options
I have been on this weight loss journey for a few weeks now. Im so confused. I dont know what to eat and what not to eat. Everyone has different advise. I want to do it right but I dont know if I am. I track my food and excersize on here. However, different people tell me different things as far as what I should eat. Some say no dairy at all. Some say no protein shakes at all. Some say no carbs. Its all so stressful. Can I eat whole wheat pasta??? Or no pasta at all?? Do I have to live on salad with no cheese, even its lowfat mozarella, and no fat/low calorie dressing. Can I only eat baked or grilled fish or chicken?? Can i put seasoning on the meat??? Im so confused. I want to do the right thing....I just dont kow what that is.

Signed,
Clueless

Replies

• mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Eat all the foods. There is no "bad" food. No one food gonna make you lose or gain weight. Eat food in moderation and move your body. That's really all there is to it. Take in less calories than you burn overall and you will lose weight. Find what works for you - if you like cardio, great. I hate it - so I lift weights. *shrugs* You'll find you can eat significantly more than what MFP tells you to eat at default - I eat 1500-1600 cals during the week and 2000-2400 on Fri/Sat. And I eat pizza. And cheeseburgers. ZOMG! You need to figure out your TDEE (what you burn in a day) and then subtract about 500 (or more, depending on where you are starting) from that to get a calorie baseline. This is a helpful link - use the calculation on the right (if you know your estimated bodyfat): http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    The only 'wrong' thing to do is to eat loads of crap and sit on your behind all the time.

Start with figuring out exactly what a proper portions are of the things you eat, and track everything. Then start working on getting your calories down to where they should be, and start moving more. I honesty believe your body will tell you what you should eat and what you shouldn't. I know when I eat too much fat, or too much salt, or too much sugar because I feel like crap. I felt like crap for a long long while sadly enough.

Contrary to popular belief, one size does not fit all, and with life changes you can make the right size to fit you.

"Eat real foods." (Less processed stuff)
    "Not so much." (Aware of portions)
    "Mostly plants." (Veg and fruit)
    "Move more." (Exercise)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Dear Clueless, the truth is that there is no "right" way of losing weight and getting healthier. There are lots of possible paths and you have the pleasure of trying out the ones that appeal and following them til you feel like a change. Other than the really simple rule "Eat less and move more" there are just guidelines. Some people find a path that suits them and put it forward for other people to try too. It's up to you if you want to follow them or not.

If you need help in working out how many calories you should be aiming for I suggest you read and bookmark this thread -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It's a very well thought out explanation of how to calculate them and it's up to you if you want to tweak it when you've tried it.

After decades of being "on diets" and throwing them over when I get too hungry to continue, what I've found works best is not to charge at the weight-loss thing like a bull at a gate. Just making smaller changes that you can tolerate for months or years without falling off the wagon and feeling like a failure, again, works best in the long run. There are lots of "healthy lifestyle" solutions - you can find the one that suits you. A lifetime of nothing but grilled fish doesn't appeal to me - and yes, please do put seasoning on your meat - if that's what you like. :smile:
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    For ME (I'm over 40 so my metabolism hates me) I've found shopping the perimeter of the store works best, again- that's for ME. I've noticed the BIGGEST difference since I gave up boxed, processed, and almost all canned food (still eat tuna.) Fresh veggies, lean meats, dairy... I also switch stuff up ( like plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream, its packed with protein! There's an old saying, " if it didn't come straight from the ground or have a mother - don't eat it." Lol. Good luck in finding your groove.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could use some meal plans. You can get those from Sparkpeople.com or buy a book with meal plans in them. Sparkpeople is OK, but this site is much better in my opinion, for calorie tracking. The meal plans they have are decent though.

These will help you until you figure out for yourself what you can eat to lose weight.
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Trying to do what everyone else is doing may not work for you! I found that out the hard way by eating and exercising the way everyone says that I should. Now, I eat what I like, but I eat a more healthier version of if. You need to find what works best for you and do it!

Losing weight is stressful, especially when it's not working, but soon you will find your balance; until then just stick with it.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you, but those are all choices you're going to have to make for yourself. I tried dealing with the barrage of advice everyone has to give at first and it drove me crazy, too. Pick a way of doing it that YOU can handle and that makes YOU happy. If it doesn't work quite right after a month, adjust one thing about it and go from there. I think the challenge in losing weight and getting in shape is finding your own way to do it. You'll get there! Just be patient and try what works for you. Good luck!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Your first mistake is asking everyone or reading the forums for what to do or what not to do. Everybody's different and your just going to have to find what works for you. Start out with eating what you normally eat only tracking it all and staying within a calorie limit that YOU have set for yourself. I do suggest you find your BMR and as long as you eat under that you should lose weight. How much you lose a week will be based on how much under the BMR you are. I also suggest NOT eating your workout calories back until you get comfortable eating your initial calorie goal to begin with. It will take trial and error to find what works for you but once you do you will be happy.

Everyone is telling you what works for them and some are even trying to get you to eat the way they do because they are know it all's without a degree to say they know what they are talking about medically. For the most part people have good intentions but forget that everyone is different and what works for them may not work for you, as much as they'd like to think it will work for everyone.

What does work is calorie in and calorie out. Meaning your calorie intake should be cut down from your daily routine(as in pre lifestyle change) and your calorie out should be your exercise.

You do not have to exercise to lose weight, but you will need it for yourself and your energy levels. So even just walking around the block or up and down the stairs at work instead of the elevator is a good start.

You have to take what you see on here with a grain of salt and figure out what works best for you. Good luck
  • eiredivine
    Options
    Don't cut out any food type too intensely, you could end up with a deficiency.
    Eating food in moderation and eating it at a set time.
    Exercise even if it's just for 30 minutes a day, this will also help destress you!
  • mburger84
    mburger84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    workout often, eat healthy and watch your portions. the only food i would think you should cut out completely is fast food. protein, fruit and veggies are the best for you.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Don't get too caught up, it will get confusing. It's as simple as Calories In vs. Calories Out.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    i think it's plain and simple. MODERATION. That's what I'm going with. I am not giving up foods..that is where I set myself up for failure and I'm not playing that game again.

I log EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth on here. (Ok I'll wait for at least 1 comment on that) ;)..and I just watch my intake/outtake. If I want a shake ..I'm gonna have to boost my exercise at some point. So how bad do I want it? But then it becomes MY CHOICE..not a forbidden food. :)
  • efust
    efust Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation, as long as you are active and eat smaller portions...I eat off a salad plate at every meal and make sure my carb (starchy ones) as the smallest section...and DONT STRESS, stress promotes the storage of fat! You were perfectly made and as long as you are healthy and making health-conscience decisions your body will be at its best!

If you want to listen to anyone, ask your doctor or a nutrient coach! :)
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation, as long as you are active and eat smaller portions...I eat off a salad plate at every meal and make sure my carb (starchy ones) as the smallest section...and DONT STRESS, stress promotes the storage of fat! You were perfectly made and as long as you are healthy and making health-conscience decisions your body will be at its best!

that's another thing I do...the salad plate. And I don't make layers out of it. :) 1 layer of regular servings of whatever I am making.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Spend time getting to know your body. Build a relationship with it. It is more than just tupperware for your spirit- it is your spirit's best friend. Its your vessel through this awesome world. You should get to know it your own way, in your own time with your own methods. Experiment ALL THE THINGS!!!!

Take a week and try a few new foods then a week of familiar foods then combine them. Pick healthy beautiful ones so you can enjoy eating well.

Experiment with cardio for a month or two, then lifting, then go back, then create a combo of all your favorites.

Its all trial and error and its all unique to you.

the secret is simply this-

never right off an exercise, a plan or a suggestion simply because you are worried you will look silly doing it and you arent strong enough to make it happen, with the excuse that that just wont work for me because I know my body and it just wont that's doing yourself an injustice and possibly removing the one thing that may have revolutionized your body.

Dont go into this closeminded from the get-go, ok?

best of luck darlin.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Remember this is a lifestyle not a DIET so eat it all! Just eat it in moderation and within your daily amount of calories. After a while of tracking you will see what amounts of food and what types of food work best to keep you full and satisfied. When you want to have lets say fried chicken instead of grilled then just plan it into your day. Being aware and planning are the best ways to have success on here. Good luck and don't stress yourself about this. Its a journey enjoy the ride!
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options

that's another thing I do...the salad plate. And I don't make layers out of it. :) 1 layer of regular servings of whatever I am making.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who needs to do this! It's so bizarre how our brians are programmed to 1. fill the plate and 2. clean the plate. I use the smaller plates all the time for dinner, and it's much more accurate portion-wise. I'm also trying to drill into my head that it's OKAY to throw food away. Yes, it's wasteful, but how is it any less wasteful to eat the food and turn it into fat?