Weight Lifting & Calorie Expenditure confusion!

Options
I've been doing ChaLEAN Extreme and a little bit of Turbo Fire. I track my average heart rate by taking my own pulse during the workouts and writing it down. Then I get the average number by adding all of the numbers together and dividing by how many numbers I wrote down. Then I hop over to this website that calculates calories burned (http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html) and plug in my information like age, weight, male/female, average heart rate BPM, and duration of exercise.

What baffles me is that I've recently been keeping track of exactly how long I've been lifting weight during her program and I'm taking about 15-20min longer than the workout itself which lasts anywhere from 30-38min. And when I plug in my average heart rate and my time lifting weights I'm getting a reading of some 500-600+ calories burned. Is that possible?

Like yesterday my average heart rate was 170bpm for 54min I lifted weights and today was 166bpm for 56min of weight lifting. That would put me burning 634.661 and 634.225 calories respectively. Does that sound right?!

Sorry if I've confused anyone, this is my first forum post. I'm just seeking some opinions. And I can't afford a good electronic heart rate monitor.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi..I'll see if I can help but I don't know ChaLean or Turbo Fire. I do lift weights allot but I lift heavy so it's basiclly 30 seconds of 100% effort fillowed by 2 or so minutes of rest so I can go 100% again. For Cardio I do allot of rowing and spinning (and walking) and I use a Polar Chest Strap and Watch which is also a heart rate monitor. This "seems" to do a great job of calculating my calorie expenditure. IF you have the budget I'm sure you can find a polar or similiar heart rate monitor for $50 or so at the gym, craigslist, Amazon or sporting goods store.

But to give you an example when I do a 2 hour workout whcih consists of 30 mins of active Stretching, 45 minutes of very active rowing followed by 45 minutes of spinning my watch indicates that on my hardest workouts I burn about 600 calories. And I'm 234 pounds and the heavier you are the more calories you burn. So your estimates below might be a bit high if you weigh allot less then I do but again this is all speculation.

Hope this helps.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Like yesterday my average heart rate was 170bpm for 54min I lifted weights and today was 166bpm for 56min of weight lifting. That would put me burning 634.661 and 634.225 calories respectively. Does that sound right?!

Sorry if I've confused anyone, this is my first forum post. I'm just seeking some opinions. And I can't afford a good electronic heart rate monitor.

Thanks in advance!!

Those heart rates seem very high, especially for weight training. If I get up to 160 BPM while running, I feel like I'm gonna have a heart attack! I can't imagine an anaerobic workout would give you these heart rates at a constant level... but, hey - what do I know!
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and when I run at a steady pace, I am between 150 - 160.

So, I think 170 would be much too high of an estimate for weight training. Sure, vigorous effort might spike you to 170, but it is not sustained over the course of your session.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy (for me) handweights every other day. Currently I weight 225lbs and here are my lifting stats for the last few days:

(I use a polar F11 HRM)

78 mins lifting (1kg for warmup to 8kg hand weights to 9kg kettlebell) HR Max 154 - Cal burn 563
    71 mins lifting (same as above) HR Max 157 - Cal burn 581
    48 mins lifting (same as above) HR Max 149 - Cal burn 395

To me, your average heart rate sounds very high but without using a HRM to measure or knowing what weights you are lifting, it is hard to tell. I tend to average about 126-136 when lifting. How are you measuring your heart rate if not with a HRM?
  • Carrie_W02
    Carrie_W02 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For Cardio I do allot of rowing and spinning (and walking) and I use a Polar Chest Strap and Watch which is also a heart rate monitor. This "seems" to do a great job of calculating my calorie expenditure. IF you have the budget I'm sure you can find a polar or similiar heart rate monitor for $50 or so at the gym, craigslist, Amazon or sporting goods store.

Since the way I track my heart beats per minute seems to be in question, maybe I should try for some sort of electronic device that does it for me to get a more accurate reading and compare it to the way I calculate it. Thanks for everyone's help so far!!

Any suggestions on heart rate monitors? Which is best brand or quality? I just care about heart beats per minute and calories burned? I looked up some Polar ones online last night but I wouldn't even know where to start...
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT7 was ~ 60 dollars. I've only had it for a few months now, but no complaints so far!
  • rhondatn
    rhondatn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 and love it. Maybe you can find one on sale?
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I think your math may be off or your measurments. It is a tough thing to do manually. Like many of the other posters on here, I also wear a Polar HRM and you can put in all your data (age, weight, etc.). It sounds like you're calculating aerobic heart rates for your non-aerobic work outs. Wearing an HRM is very educational (and sometimes disappointing). I did an abdominal workout with around 250 crunches of varying types. It is a tough workout (Tamilee Webb's I want those abs) when you're belly is out of shape. So I was working it pretty hard. When I checked the HRM after 20 minutes and 250 crunches... I'd burned a whopping 60... yes, only SIXTY measley calories. Weight and strength training exercises are for building muscle and tone, not for burning calories really, IMHO. I think that's why MFP doesn't even assign them a caloric deduction in your diary. You record the activity, so you know how you progress in weight and reps... but no calorie deduction. If you want to know though, get yourself a heart rate monitor.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    HRM's are very inaccurate for resistance training. To the point of near uselessness in fact.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just as the vast majority of HRM's aren't intended for estimating calorie burn outside the steady-state aerobic range (about 90-160), you measuring the HR to include the spikes of ANaerobic activity makes using that calculator invalid. As would plugging in your avg HR sitting at desk all day, invalid calorie burn estimate by manual or HRM method.

They are using the same formula as here, which has a link to the Polar study that is the basis for it.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

So it assumes those high HR's, just as would a HRM, are for aerobic activity, and indeed, if reached it that way and at steady state, massive calorie burn.

But you aren't, you spike up there with sharp carb burn that is not related to your high HR, which is high for the effort put forth anaerobically.

It's the exact same effect of having a heat-elevated HR. Your heart pumps more blood because it's used in the cooling process too. But it's not more blood flow and higher HR because you need the oxygen to burn more calories, but the HRM doesn't know that, so inflated calorie burn figures.

I have a HRM that actually is intended for use during anaerobic activity like weight lifting, and worn it a few times to get a sense of what it is. About 1/3 to 1/2 of what the Polar said for calorie burn.
    And actually, the MFP estimate has been right on within 25-50 calories.
    That is doing the lifts with 1 min recovery in-between sets, and about 2-3 minutes in-between different lifts. So lot of recovery time.

And it's true, you don't burn as much during the session of lifting - the fat burn comes later for up to 24 hrs during recovery/repair process. And you sure don't need to feed that part of the workout back.
  • Carrie_W02
    Options
    HEYBALES:

A lot of very good information, just a little "foreign" talk for me. LOL I understand much of what you're saying, but still trying to process the rest.

Thanks for the informative advice!
  • Jynus
    Options
    HEYBALES:

A lot of very good information, just a little "foreign" talk for me. LOL I understand much of what you're saying, but still trying to process the rest.

Thanks for the informative advice!
    The take away is this, when you lift weights at an intensity that pushes lactic acid threshold, your heart rate does not reflect your calorie burn accurately, so don't bother trying.
  • Carrie_W02
    Options
    I've come across this one the Polar FT4™ Heart Rate Monitor....Would this be sufficient enuf for me? I'd probably use it during my Turbo Fire workouts? The FT4 was priced at $79.95.

The only other one (Polar brand) the place I'm shopping at online has the Polar Ladies’ FT40 Heart Rate Monitor for $149.00, which is a little too rich for my blood right now, LOL

Any thoughts/advice on the two??
  • Jynus
    Options
    I've come across this one the Polar FT4™ Heart Rate Monitor....Would this be sufficient enuf for me? I'd probably use it during my Turbo Fire workouts? The FT4 was priced at $79.95.

The only other one (Polar brand) the place I'm shopping at online has the Polar Ladies’ FT40 Heart Rate Monitor for $149.00, which is a little too rich for my blood right now, LOL

long as you understand they are useless for resistance training, go nuts. polar works great.
  • Carrie_W02
    Options

long as you understand they are useless for resistance training, go nuts. polar works great.

O RLY? Wow! Thanks for your informative reply. I get the point. Sheesh
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

I have the FT4. It works good. Amazon or Ebay might be cheaper, though I would hesitate to get a used one on Ebay.
  • Carrie_W02
    Options
    Yeah, I also found the Polar FT40F listed on sale for $99.97. Was $134.00. These are from the military AAFES site and they're new.
  • dortress
    dortress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    HRMs are absolutely NOT useless for lifting. For heaven's sake. the HRM monitor will track your calorie expenditure over a period of time.

Get one. That's the best tool you're going to have to track calories you burn during lifting.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    HRMs are absolutely NOT useless for lifting. For heaven's sake. the HRM monitor will track your calorie expenditure over a period of time.

Get one. That's the best tool you're going to have to track calories you burn during lifting.

No, that's not how they work.

**This is very important**

HRMs do NOT measure how many calories you have burned.

**This is very important**

They measure your HEART RATE. And only your HEART RATE.

They then take your HEART RATE and run it through some math. The math was designed based on how many calories people burn, at a certain height and weight, for steady state --cardiovascular type exercise--

So Heart Rate goes into the Calories Over Time Doing Cardio equation, and it spits out a "Calories Burned" result.

Weight lifting results in high heart rate. It stays high, even after you've done about 1-2 seconds of work, for about 10-15 seconds. For that entire 10-15 seconds, the heart rate monitor is calculating calories, and it assumes you are moving at high intensity (Running, sprinting, jump rope) when you are, in fact, doing nothing.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

From sparkpeople.com:

A heart rate monitor (HRM) is capable of estimating calorie burn pretty accurately—but only for aerobic (cardio) exercise, not for strength training. Here's why:

A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.

The problem is a technical one. Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream.

Any muscle that performs a high intensity or maximum effort (strength training) will trigger an increase in heart rate and blood flow. But if only a single muscle group is on the receiving end to utilize that extra oxygen (doing a strength exercise that isolates your biceps, for example), only a relatively small amount of oxygen (and calories) will actually be consumed.

So while a series of strength training exercises may elevate your heart rate like aerobic exercise does, you're not actually using as much oxygen and burning as many calories as you would be if you were steadily using several large muscles all at once, as when walking, running, swimming, or doing aerobics for example.

The heart rate monitor doesn’t know whether your increase in heart rate is due to several large muscle groups working (cardio), an isolated muscle group lifting a weight (strength training), or even if adrenaline or excitement is increasing your heart rate. It just knows your heart rate, and the formulas it uses to estimate calories are based on studies of aerobic exercise, not other activities. So, it's going to overestimate your calorie expenditure when the rise in heart rate is stimulated by using isolated muscles at maximum intensity, which is what occurs during strength training.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75