How do you get past these late night eating urges

Options

Replies

• aaronwayne88
    Options
    a Baby Bell Lite cheese works for me, and some ice water! If your still hungry, drink another glass of water and then try to fall asleep. If you are going to eat makemsure it's very low in calories, carbs and sugar. Maybe a raw cucumber or celery.
  • SteveCabral94
    SteveCabral94 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Drink some water & go to sleep.

I agree with this..........
  • Buffdrita
    Options
    Try a whole cucumber with a little salt & pepper. May not help you sleep but you will be full. Crunchy, salty works for me when I'm in munch mode.
  • allirep
    allirep Posts: 26
    Options
    This is a big problem for me too!

Some tips that have helped me are...

- Brush your teeth (no one likes to eat after that!)
    - Glass of water
    - Reading
    - Peanut butter (It actually helps you sleep too!)
    - Going to sleep (The most simple one)

All great suggestions - I also find that gargling with mouthwash helps.
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Mostly you need some water.

I love the cucumber idea...as it is one of the least calorie dense foods and
    has lots o water.....

I too have been doing the peanut butter venue.....
  • glamorizeu
    glamorizeu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always loved my late night snacks and sometimes I still have the occasional one. I try to keep lower cal. healthier snacks in the house like berries and fat free cool whip or low cal. low fat yogurt and granola. We have also moved dinner time to an hour later (5:30-6:30 and bed around 11) so I don't get those urges as often. The biggest help of all was to simply not buy and keep my triggers in the house. I won't run to the store late at night so if the bad choices aren't there I won't eat them. Spreading your calories out throughout the day will help with those urges. Plan your snacks into your diet. Many times a craving is actually triggered by dehydration so drink plenty of water. Good Luck!
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    I just set the time for my after dinner snack close to my bedtime. I eat it... brush my teeth and go to bed. I'm not waking up to eat unless I'm pregnant. lol
  • jmuller06
    jmuller06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Never easy but I go to bed. If all else fails, I'll have some hot tea. By the time I finish it I've forgotten about being hungry and fall right to sleep.
  • edwinamac
    edwinamac Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • edwinamac
    Options
  • edwinamac
    Options
    :smile:
  • edwinamac
    Options
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys, but I can't fall asleep unless I have a pre-bedtime snack. So, in my calories, I budget some calories so that I can have a bowl of cereal before going to bed. Works like a charm and I sleep like a baby. Plus, I know that I can have that snack before bed so I don't have any urges to splurge into anything else other than my bowl of cereal between dinner and bed time.
  • edwinamac
    Options
    GREAT
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    i tried to fight it and fight it and only failed.

Then I decided to save 300-400 calories for the night snacking JUST in case I wanted to snack (which was always yes) and seriously it was great. No going over, no guilt.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always wonder how people get hungry in the middle of the night. Are you eating enough during the day? I don't know. I would make a note whenever it happened and then go through my food diary and try to pinpoint the cause of the hunger. Also, I almost always have a snack or dessert after dinner, so maybe that's why I don't get hungry late at night?
  • Steviechatham
    Steviechatham Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I make a lowfat smoothie with great value light vanilla yogurt,8 ice cubes, 6 strawberries, and half a banana. You can always add some vanilla extract as well, but I skip that. Its less than 150 calories and sweet enough to cure a sweet tooth and makes you feel full.
  • debst24
    debst24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    low fat hot chocolate :)
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i just found this online today, and it's really harsh, but i think it's what's going to work...

Look at what you are about to eat. Are you hungry? Are you really hungry? Can you go without it? Think of how great you’ll feel. Push it to one side. Drink a glass of water. Now. Right now. Throw half the food away. Are you still hungry? Look in the mirror. Right now. Turn to the side. List from top to bottom what you want to change. Write them down. Read it. Twice. Go brush your teeth. Drink another glass of water. Do 10 situps. Don’t you feel great? Yeah, look at you! Look at the food. You odn’t wanna eat that. How great do you feel? How good are you doing? Throw the other half away. Give it to someone else. Put it up somewhere. I bet you feel good now. Do 10 pushups. Go take a shower. Look in the mirror. Turn to the side. That’s going to look so much better tomorrow morning. Think about what happens when you eat something. You chew it. You swallow it. It goes into your stomach. Your body slowly absorbs all those calories, all that sugar, all that fat. Go look in the mirror. Poke your belly. Squeeze your arms and legs. Drink a glass of water. Delicious, refreshing, filling water. No calories. Super healthy. Now think of someone skinny. Someone famous, someone you know. Super beautiful. You’re gonna look like them. Now think of someone fat. Someone you’ve seen, someone you know. You aren’t them. They envy you. They want to be you. Look at you. You are ****ing beautiful. Get up. Stretch. Feel your ribs. Think of that fat person. thing of all the fat covering their body. Chubby. Fat. Chunky. Squishy. Gross. Ovese. Tubby. Plump. Thick. Porky.
    Still hungry?

like i said. harsh. but whatever it takes to get the job done.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options

Don't eat right before bed cause it will sit on your stomach and it will be hard to lose the weight. You always want to wait at least 2-3 hours of eating before going to bed. Make 9pm your cut off, if you're going to bed at 11pm. So far it's working for me :)
    while this may be working for you, there is no science to back it up. Total fiction
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!