Potassium? How Much?

Options
mmapags
mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
In some reading I've been doing recently, it has said that potassium is the nutrient that regulate water retention in the body. In googling I've seen some info that says for an active person, you should be getting 4 to 4.5 grams per day. I'm not even close to that. It also says too much is toxic. Anyone know the dope on this or good sources for info?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, both seem to be true, although I think toxic is too strong a word. Sort of how water can kill you if you drink 5 gallons in an hour, but I don't call water toxic.

I never gave one whit about potassium until I joined MFP and noticed how incredibly short I was coming up everyday. Potassium supplements aren't worthwhile because they contain such a small amount. But when I researched potassium containing foods, I realized that most of the reason I was coming so incredibly short was that the potassium content in most foods isn't listed on MFP, and a lot of times it's not on the labeling either. A tall glass of OJ is 1/3 of a days supply. A potato is 1/2. Hell, an order of french fries is 1/2. A serving of beans will get you there.

I keep an eye on my K levels now, but I really can't say if it's had an effect on my hydration, fatigue, or water retention levels. It definitely hasn't had a negative effect tho, so I'm going to keep it up.
  • dkuntz13
    Options
    Hi! I too didn't pay much attention to potassium levels until I joined MFP. I have had huge problems with water and salt retention in the past. Since I started watching Potassium and salt I no longer have that problem. It works together with salt to reduce inflammtion. You need between 3500-4000 milligrams a day. Two potatos a day will give you 2/3rds of what you need...dried apricots are good, cashews, spinach. Hope it helps!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The water retention is related to the salt and potassium balance in your body. I really wouldn't worry too much about it. I recently had an issue with water retention and have been on diuretics for it. My doctor checks my sodium and potassium levels and, even though I don't work hard to ensure I'm getting lots of potassium, my readings are always good. I did go on a kick for awhile and did a bunch of research on potassium rich foods. Potatoes, beans, dried apricots, pistachios, raisins, bananas and oranges are all excellent sources of potassium.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Like most nutrients, potassium shouldn't be taken in isolation without consideration of how it interacts with other electrolytes like sodium, chloride etc. When one gets potassium from foods instead of supplements, it's easier to ensure a balance. Here has a list of potassium rich foods http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/Striking-a-Balance-Less-Sodium-Salt-More-Potassium_UCM_440429_Article.jsp

Once again, eating our vegetables is good for us ;-)