does anyone else not notice the difference?

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
I joined MFP in May and since then i have lost 16 lbs, i am really pleased with myself beacuse for the first time i haven't given up and it's with big thanks to this website i am doing this right, it's a great feeling.

BUT i don't feel that i look any differentely, i know my fitness has got better because i can do longer periods of time at the gym and a belt i used to wear round my waist is now to loose along with other items of clothing, but when i look in the mirror i don't see any difference.

does anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• LCunkle83
    LCunkle83 Posts: 179
    Options
    I didnt notice it until about 20 lbs was gone... I think you dont notice it because you see yourself everyday. Everyone around me kept saying "wow you have lost weight", but I never saw it. Try looking at before and after pics, thats when I really noticed it.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ive lost the same since May. I notice it sorta but not like other people.
  • aliwitt82
    Options
    I have lost 36 lbs and to this day I still can't really see a difference. But I haven't even compared myself to before pics. My husband tells me all the time he can tell a difference. I can however tell a difference in the fact I am wearing a smaller size.
  • Zoot_suits
    Zoot_suits Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep pictures thru out so I can look back myself. I actually just finished mine, for these 3 weeks, I don't see drastic change, but I do see a little when they are side by side :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I've lost 41 lbs and didn't really see the difference until I saw a picture of myself before I started dieting. Like everyone said, just seeing yourself everyday, but sometimes I do stuff that I can remember I wasn't able to do before. For example 2 month ago I bent over to clip my toe nails and I didn't have to take a deep breath before I bent over, it's those small things that now I notice.
  • horsehockey
    horsehockey Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can easily feel even something like a few lbs difference, even though it might not be visible to others, or in pics. Not sure how something like 20 lbs doesn't feel noticeably different to folks.
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a bit depressing. I'm 180 now but still feel the way I did when I was 200lbs. Oh well, just gotta keep losing until we see it I guess!
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi there!

I have lost 18 pounds and I can just start to see it in my face a bit. However, I can really see it in the waist of my pants and skirts. I'm also taking body measurements and really see it there.

If you aren't taking those measurements, consider doing so.

Let's see, now...here are my losses in measurements:

Chest: 3/4"
    Waist: 1.75"
    Hips: 1"
    Left & Right Arms: 1" each
    Left and Right Thighs: 1.5" each

I hope that helps!

Michelle
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    The taller you are, the longer it takes to drop a size or inches...the goodness is you are losing it ! I would say it took about 25 pounds for it to really hit me when I looked in the mirror.
  • karae16
    karae16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad at truly "seeing" what I look like. When I was at my heaviest (160) I still thought i looked 140. Now that I'm at 135 I still feel i look 150 ish. As others have said pictures do help. I find my boyfriend is great at pointing out the differences (in a nice way- i.e. "your stomach is getting so toned," "your so much smaller when i hug you"), but I still look in the mirror and can't see it.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Im 53 weeks in and this week Ive been walking/riding after dinner. Some of my neighbors didnt even realize it was me. I started at 340 and about 310ish is when I could really tell a difference. I got the, your face looks thinner, blah blah in the start but I look at this ugly mug everyday and didnt see it. For me, one day in mornin I walked past the mirror in the bathroom and went WOW! Its almost like we need to not look at ourselves in the mirror for a few weeks to be able to tell sometimes.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes, I experienced this also. I think it has a lot to do with how much extra weight you are carrying. I started noticing a difference at around 20 pounds.
  • KMissyD
    KMissyD Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I haven't noticed too much. Others ask me, and I only have maybe 2-3 pair of pants I can tell the difference in.
  • wahkonmagicwicca
    Options
    Untitled_zps0f399082.jpg

can anyone honestly tell me that i've lost weight? i notice some difference and then i just think too hard about it so...
    can you also tell me, that if i dont how long before i can notice the difference in shape with how many pounds i have to lose first and stuff like that?? just lookin for advice thanks!!!!
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Brains don't register weight loss very well and it actually can take a little while before you notice weight loss on yourself. Keeping photos from when you were at your heaviest can be a great reminder and motivator but also belts don't lie!! If your belt is to big for you now then you've definitely lost something! Try to focus on the small changes that you DO notice, rather than the ones you don't. They will come in time :)
  • mlandrethsf
    mlandrethsf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My sister and I have the same experience. For me, I have to lose about 10lbs to be able to tell/see a difference. I went from almost 170 down to 150. It wasnt until 150 that I and other people really noticed a difference. I still look in the mirror and see traces of my old body; I still have more work to do!

I hadnt seen my sister for a few months and she had dropped about 30lbs (down to 160). Man I could totally tell the difference. She kept whining about how fat she was and didnt see any change. I just thought 'oh my gosh...you look skinny!'
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I didnt notice it until about 20 lbs was gone... I think you dont notice it because you see yourself everyday. Everyone around me kept saying "wow you have lost weight", but I never saw it. Try looking at before and after pics, thats when I really noticed it.

This...my clothes were fitting looser but I didn't feel thinner but I looked at my before picture and my 4/5 week progress picture and I saw a noticeable difference...hang in there, keep going and take measurements and pictures along the way.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    yeah, i felt that way for a long long time. It wasn't until I finally hit my first goal and went shopping that i noticed the difference. When you start picking clothes you like instead of clothes picking you.... its a great feeling!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    it took me about 15lb. to notice a difference. sometimes it just takes losing a little bit more weight or waiting on your mind to catch up to your body!
  • staceyleew
    Options
    Yes i feel exactly the same!!!!!! Ive lost 15.5kg in the past 12 weeks and I still feel like my mind hasn't caught up with my body or something! I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!