New 36 yr old trying to lose 90 lbs.

Options
What have you found to be your biggest weakness and your best strength during your weight loss journey? Are there some foods that you found by accident that are, actually, good for you and taste amazing? I'm trying to switch my eating habits and would like some ideas on what I can switch some of my favorite sweets with...without compromising taste (as much as possible). :)

Thanks!

Replies

• maggamooo
    Options
    I would love to know this too. Im 31 wanting to loose 100lbs.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    The first three weeks feeling like I was starving. But I wasn't and it didn't kill me. Making myself exercise. I have been at it for over a month now and the first couple of weeks are the hardest. Just don't give up.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth. My biggest challenge is deviating from my regular safe meals. Sometimes, the hunger monster or sweet tooth monster attacks and nothing can stop it.

I also do not like working out. Some people enjoy it - I'd rather be outside gardening or removing a stump.

Shakeology and tilapia and two great options for low calorie meals. Shakeology also satisfies my sweet tooth. Tilapia is also versatile enough to substitute for chicken parmesan or for fish tacos. Low calorie and tastes good.
  • addaline22
    addaline22 Posts: 114
    Options
    my go to for sweet now are frozen berries. as drinks just water and fruit in the blends, on the cereal, in the pancakes, on the side of the plate. blueberries strawberries and black berries are great for all of that. they add anti oxidents, taste amazing and loaded with fiber and vitamins. I am 36 and need to loose 100 lbs total, and diet change is easy as long as you keep track. MFP really is helping me stay on track too.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I will tell you from experience that if you crave something don't deny yourself 100%. If I can fit something in my calories once a week I will. Now granted it won't be a 200-300 calorie chocolate, take a look at my diary and you'll see what I do. I myself can't do a "clean" diet 100% because I would lose my mind with the cravings and would crash in burn in less than a month. I've managed to lose 13 lbs since starting MFP and so can you!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Switching out sweets will be your biggest challenge. I guarantee it. Eventually, I got to the point where I love plain greek yogurt sweetened with Splenda with some strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. That's all the sweet I need. When I eat ice cream or cake, etc now, it's just too sweet.

I do a high protein/lower carb plan because I'm a diabetic. If I want to splurge/pig out, I have a favorite churrascaria restaurant and I go there and just have at it. Eat as much as I want and I feel satisfied, but not guilty.

Also, exercise is your friend. Especially while you're weening yourself off of the junk if that's part of your plan. Not only will it give your extra calories if you need them, the endorphins are your friend. For seriously :)

Good luck to you!
  • addaline22
    addaline22 Posts: 114
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth. My biggest challenge is deviating from my regular safe meals. Sometimes, the hunger monster or sweet tooth monster attacks and nothing can stop it.

I also do not like working out. Some people enjoy it - I'd rather be outside gardening or removing a stump.

Shakeology and tilapia and two great options for low calorie meals. Shakeology also satisfies my sweet tooth. Tilapia is also versatile enough to substitute for chicken parmesan or for fish tacos. Low calorie and tastes good.

I love tilapia!!!
  • lvng_lf
    lvng_lf Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    biggest weakness: realizing that eating the way I always did would never again happen-BIG hurdle for a former food addict. best strength: gaining the knowledge through food journaling that I CAN have a treat once in a while if I make the numbers:) it taught me to eat with my head not my heart:heart: I sometimes mourn what I left behind when my world revolved around food but what I've gained is so much more valuable.
  • dluechtefeld
    dluechtefeld Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Get acquainted with fibrous fruit (apples), almonds, and cheese. Decrease your intake of simple carbohydrates, to include bread.

Weight gain is not a function of laziness; weight loss is not a function of willpower. Obesity is first and foremost a disorder of hormonal regulation. The two hormones most directly related to weight gain are insulin and leptin.

Insulin drives fat accumulation. Insulin production is greatly influenced by simple carbohydrate intake - flour and sugar. This includes non-sweets such as breads, pasta, crackers.

Leptin is the hormone responsible for turning off hunger. In the obese, protein and fats drive leptin production to a greater degree than carbohydrate does.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12805252
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm finding out that "fruits and veggies" are not only good for me but good TO me :)
    I LOVE hummus (which is good for me). My weakness, sweets BUT i'm learning to indulge in moderation :):)
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Major sweet tooth here as well. Sugar Free Jello pudding and Sugar Free Red Vines helped me curb my sweet tooth enough where I didn't binge. I've lost 82lbs to date. The only thing to watch out for is if the sugar is removed, it;'s usually replaced by fat. Read lables and you'll be okay.
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth and when I tried low-carb diets that was always my weakness. As soon as I went off my diet I would devour ice cream like nobody's business. Since I've been on MFP I can eat anything as long as I track it. The best thing I've found so far is almond milk, dry powdered fat-free sugar-free pudding mix, sweetener of choice (unless you're a Nazi about artificial sweetener), cool whip free and ice in a blender. Sorta tastes like a Wendy's frosty. You can also blend sliced frozen bananas with a small amount of almond milk and it's like ice cream consistency. Also, sugar free pudding like Jello mousse (my fav), laughing cow strawberry cream cheese wedges taste good on a lot of stuff like reduced fat waffles and Luna bars.

Salty options for me are Special K cracker chips 30 for 100 cal.
  • Fasteron2
    Options
    My husband and I are on this journey together and we love the sugar free jello(with some fat free cool whip) and "sometime" we take in the sugar free pudding. The best every suggestion I received for my sweet tooth is smoothies.

We just started our weight loss journey as well and I have a major sweet tooth. Smoothies work great especially when I can get the perfect ingredients. We mix fruits, veggies and spices with ice, water and sometimes we add yogurt. We have also been told to use low fat dairy in them. They are delicious! Try a Strawberry Banana or a Kiwi Strawberry w/ a little lemon. Mix your favorites and don't forget to try lemons, limes, ginger, spinach and Kale in some of your mixtures. This is a good way to cure your sweet tooth and get the recommended daily fruit intake.

I still indulge in moderation. Twice a week I go for a small piece of dark chocolate at least 72% cacao. It's healthy and helps the cravings as well.

I wish you much success on your journey to healthy!!
  • SatanTheKat
    SatanTheKat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You guys are all so amazing! Thank you for all the positive responses. My sweet tooth is insane. I went on a low carb diet not too long ago and did well except for craving ice cream like nobodies business! And when I stopped trying that old familiar gigantic ice cream bowl was waiting for me with open arms.

I live in Arizona so it's going to be a little difficult coming up with some of the amazing fruit a lot of you listed but I'm going to look into some of the more tropical stuff that's more readily available here to see what I can do with it.

My favorite snack, lately is 2 shredded carrots and a shredded apple in the mix. Nothing else. It's soooo yummy...but it gets tiring after a while especially when you're craving sweets all the time like I do.

Again, Thank you all for the amazing welcome & ideas! :)

- Kat -
  • maggamooo
    Options
    You don't have to cut out sweets. With mfp, as was with weight watchers that ive done before, you can eat whatever you want. You just have to count it. McDonalds ice cream is low fat and their ice cream cones are surprisingly heatly. My mom used to do one every day. Its ok. Fit sweets in. In moderation. I had some cookies with my lunch today, just a few. Dont go into this thinking you have to give up things. You do tend to go for healthier options, but if you restrict yourself copletley, you won't make it.