Walmart Selling GE corn---unmarked

Options

Replies

• Melisa25
    Melisa25 Posts: 16
    Options
    Living in the Mid-west, working in Agricultural all my life does not make me an expert but we (farmers) use less chemicals then the past. There is far less soil depletion or soil stripping.

The people that are really fooling you are the organic people. Some use more fuel. They are all not totally honest with consumers. Also some use practices that are so out dated.

How can we continue to feed a growing population without the use of technology? We grow more corn and soybeans on LESS land with LESS chemicals then in the past. Farmers have been recycling before recycling was the it thing.

As a person in ag, I feel that farmers are more aware of what they are doing to their land. Yes, there are some very bad people out there.

Do you stop and think if farmers did not produce at the level we are: what would you eat? We are in a drought this year and things are going to change in the World in the next year.

The majority of large corn and soybean farmers are not growing for the general public. Their level of production is to supply corporations. That is where the money is.

Prior to corporate takeover, our society ate rather well by growing their own crops or simply selling locally. The only people I see suffering from a downsize of corporate agriculture are those who choose choose not to fend for themselves (for lack of a better phrase).

I feel if money didn't rule the agricultural soul, then this country to go back to eating as healthy as they were 40 years ago.

Where do you get your food from? We grow for local use and for the people who shop at a grocery store.

I am sorry but I am for sure not in Ag for the money! Please research how much money it costs to farm. We don't have coporations paying our health insurance.
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's walmart. You should read the book "The Walmart Effect"

You may start shopping elsewhere if you are into ethics and environment.

This^^^^^^^

I was blown away by the book. I've not spent a dime in Wal-Mart or in ASDA in Scotland for years.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Some interesting reading:

Single-Ingredient Foods
    On foods like fruits and vegetables, look for a small sticker version of the USDA Organic label or check the signage in your produce section for this seal.

The word "organic" and the seal may also appear on packages of meat, cartons of milk or eggs, cheese, and other single-ingredient foods.

Multi-Ingredient Foods
    Foods such as beverages, snacks, and other processed foods use the following classification system to indicate their use of organic ingredients.

100% Organic—Foods bearing this label are made with 100% organic ingredients* and may display the USDA Organic seal.

Organic—These products contain at least 95–99% organic ingredients (by weight). The remaining ingredients are not available organically but have been approved by the NOP. These products may display the USDA Organic seal.

Made With Organic Ingredients—Food packaging that reads “Made With Organic Ingredients” must contain 70–94% organic ingredients. These products will not bear the USDA Organic seal; instead, they may list up to three ingredients on the front of the packaging.

Other—Products with less than 70% organic ingredients may only list organic ingredients on the information panel of the packaging. These products will not bear the USDA Organic seal.

Keep in mind that even if a producer is certified organic, the use of the USDA Organic label is voluntary. At the same time, not everyone goes through the rigorous process of becoming certified, especially smaller farming operations. When shopping at a farmers’ market, for example, don’t hesitate to ask the vendors how your food was grown.
    http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-201/
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Living in the Mid-west, working in Agricultural all my life does not make me an expert but we (farmers) use less chemicals then the past. There is far less soil depletion or soil stripping.

The people that are really fooling you are the organic people. Some use more fuel. They are all not totally honest with consumers. Also some use practices that are so out dated.

How can we continue to feed a growing population without the use of technology? We grow more corn and soybeans on LESS land with LESS chemicals then in the past. Farmers have been recycling before recycling was the it thing.

As a person in ag, I feel that farmers are more aware of what they are doing to their land. Yes, there are some very bad people out there.

Do you stop and think if farmers did not produce at the level we are: what would you eat? We are in a drought this year and things are going to change in the World in the next year.

The majority of large corn and soybean farmers are not growing for the general public. Their level of production is to supply corporations. That is where the money is.

Prior to corporate takeover, our society ate rather well by growing their own crops or simply selling locally. The only people I see suffering from a downsize of corporate agriculture are those who choose choose not to fend for themselves (for lack of a better phrase).

I feel if money didn't rule the agricultural soul, then this country to go back to eating as healthy as they were 40 years ago.

Where do you get your food from? We grow for local use and for the people who shop at a grocery store.

I am sorry but I am for sure not in Ag for the money! Please research how much money it costs to farm. We don't have coporations paying our health insurance.

Please don't be offended, you obviously aren't in corporate agriculture or you would know what I am talking about.

I get my corn locally, not a grocery store. Just some guy down the road that lets me pick corn when I want it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I does bother me to hear this. If I can, I try to buy organic produce. However, it's very hard to control what's in the food you get in a restaurant. I guess it all comes down to making as healthy of choices as possible and being as informed as you can.:flowerforyou:
    I do not think that organically grown means that it would not be genetically modified.

It depends on who is certifying that it's organic. Some require no GMO.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Grow a garden.
  • bcattoes
    Options

You'd have to go back much further than 40 years. Not that many people grew their own food 40 years ago and even fewer grew all their produce. Processed and pre-prepared food was already available and popular in the 70's, though fast food was not yet as widespread as now. We had processed white flour, sugar, TV dinners, frozen pizza, Hamburger Helper, boxed sugary cereals, soda, Kool-Aid, etc.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    insects exploding, sounds good to me :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Canola seeds???? There is no such thing. Canola oil is made from Rape seeds. When this was given to sheep it caused scraple! Canola oil is not good for you at all. It means Canadian oil company. Check it out on line.
    I just googled Scraple There is no such anything. Check your facts before posting.

I suspect they were referring to "scrapie", which is a disease in sheep related to BSE (aka. Mad Cow Disease) in cows.

I fail to see how canola/rapeseed has anything to do with it, I'm just assuming that's what was meant because it was a big health scare (rumors abounded that many cows picked up BSE by having sheep "scrap" added to their diet as a cheap protein source, and of course no one wants a big plate of Creutzfeldt–Jakob), is spelled similarly, and is related to sheep.

yes, think they mean Scrapie and probably a bit more to do with feeding them other sheep' brains - pretty sure rape seed oil is Scrapie and BSE free
  • laulyn
    laulyn Posts: 70
    Options

Please don't be offended, you obviously aren't in corporate agriculture or you would know what I am talking about.

I get my corn locally, not a grocery store. Just some guy down the road that lets me pick corn when I want it.

This is a bit of a sensitive subject at the moment. The drought has impacted the ag industry so deeply. If it were not for proactive programs in place, half of the country would look like it did during the dust bowl. Even with drought resistant gmo's planted, very little dry land is producing.

I may be mistaken, but I don't know any farmers who contract with corporations any more. Forty years ago my grandfather was a grower for frito lay, but that is long gone. We simply cut the grain and take it to the elevator with no concern of whom it is sold to, the bigger concern is the market. The real question is when to sell. We don't get to set the price we sell our product at, the market does.

The reason producers are so passionate about what we do is we truly believe we feed families. I know researchers in the area, that when they are developing a seed, they do it with the mind set of feeding the world. Their hope is to create a sustainable food supply that uses less water, less chemical, and less space in a cost efficient way to feed people. Farmers and ranchers truly do remember, the food produced is meant to be consumed. The return on investment in this industry is far less than in many other industries.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Canola seeds???? There is no such thing. Canola oil is made from Rape seeds. When this was given to sheep it caused scraple! Canola oil is not good for you at all. It means Canadian oil company. Check it out on line.

You mean like this:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/canola-oil
    http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/canola.htm
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canola-oil/AN01281/
    http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/how_healthy_is_canola_oil_really
    http://www.aces.edu/dept/extcomm/newspaper/feb23b01.html
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I go to Walmart for things other than fruit or meat I shop the best quality and best price. I know my meat comes from a farm because I buy it at a local butcher the cows and pigs look happy and I grow my own veg
    Except corn I buy that at Walmart hehehehehehehehehe
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

This is a bit of a sensitive subject at the moment. The drought has impacted the ag industry so deeply. If it were not for proactive programs in place, half of the country would look like it did during the dust bowl. Even with drought resistant gmo's planted, very little dry land is producing.

I may be mistaken, but I don't know any farmers who contract with corporations any more. Forty years ago my grandfather was a grower for frito lay, but that is long gone. We simply cut the grain and take it to the elevator with no concern of whom it is sold to, the bigger concern is the market. The real question is when to sell. We don't get to set the price we sell our product at, the market does.

The reason producers are so passionate about what we do is we truly believe we feed families. I know researchers in the area, that when they are developing a seed, they do it with the mind set of feeding the world. Their hope is to create a sustainable food supply that uses less water, less chemical, and less space in a cost efficient way to feed people. Farmers and ranchers truly do remember, the food produced is meant to be consumed. The return on investment in this industry is far less than in many other industries.

I grew up in Farm Country in America's Heartland. I used to have a lot of respect for farmers and such, but the fact that farmers are only producing wheat, corn, soy mostly is to go to making processed food like substances.

Since I have learned so much about food and what the processed crap does to people's health, what is there to be proud of???
  • redhousecat
    Options

You'd have to go back much further than 40 years. Not that many people grew their own food 40 years ago and even fewer grew all their produce. Processed and pre-prepared food was already available and popular in the 70's, though fast food was not yet as widespread as now. We had processed white flour, sugar, TV dinners, frozen pizza, Hamburger Helper, boxed sugary cereals, soda, Kool-Aid, etc.

you are correct. I was thinking I was younger than I actually am...lol
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I find this discussion to be very interesting. Walmart is one of very few companies selling/using this GM corn. It's been all over the news, not just internet articles, that this corn is controversial. Personally, I am not about to eat a product that makes the internal organs of insects explode. Also, the rat studies are an area of concern. The reason that rats and mice are used in these studies is that they metabolize food and drugs in a way that is very similar to humans. The fact that the rats were having negative effects is of great concern. I am certain that many would argue that the rats were given huge quantities of this corn, but they only live a short time. How would this corn affect me over a 40 year period? Especially when I recognize the huge quantities of corn Americans consume every year in just the form of high fructose corn syrup.

I have read differing opinions on the subject of the quality of Walmart produce. After numerous bad experiences, I no longer buy any produce at Walmart whatsoever. Their produce is often bruised, infested with fruit flies, or rots to the point of being inedible withing 2-3 days. Their meat, even when labled 100% natural, is injected with huge amounts of water, and sometimes a solution to keep it from going bad so quickly. Still, their meat goes bad within 1-3 days of purchase.

Due to budget considerations, I do my shopping at 4 local supermarkets to get the best sale prices. During the summer, I grow most of my own produce in my teeny-tiny yard. I can or freeze the produce I grow to use throughout the winter. I also plant a winter vegetable garden, which provides me with brussel sprouts, cabbages, turnips, rutabagas, and greens.

Is all this easy? Is it convenient? No, not always. I have to do a certain amount of work to get it done. I don't watch television much, and I have less leisure time than most people. But my children are rarely sick, my homegrown produce is delicious, and my own health keeps improving. It's not easy, but it's not impossible.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I watched food inc, about a year ago and stopped buying corn period. The only time i've had corn is if we've had it in a can of soup (rarely eat it that way either), I was completely freaked out, and I am usually so oblivious to such things.
  • laulyn
    Options

I grew up in Farm Country in America's Heartland. I used to have a lot of respect for farmers and such, but the fact that farmers are only producing wheat, corn, soy mostly is to go to making processed food like substances.

Since I have learned so much about food and what the processed crap does to people's health, what is there to be proud of???

Could you please explain how farmers are to blame for processed food??? It is supply and demand. Much of the corn, soy, and milo produced goes to feed livestock. The rest goes to supply food to people who are buying crap. There's not a shortage of vegetables. I don't see anyone waiting on line at Walmart to pick out the freshest green beans and sweetest strawberries. Healthy food is available, much of the population just doesn't eat it. People want a some thing quick, so they buy fast food, canned good, frozen food, prepackaged food, but very little fresh food. America isn't demanding healthy food. That is probably why pork bellies are the only specific animal part that is publicly traded. If we are looking at how healthy we want people to eat, try changing with a movement on the demand end. I would specifically start with school breakfasts and lunches. I pack my child's lunch because I do not want her eating that processed food. We grow our own beef, we grow our own vegetables. It is certainly not the producers fault there is an abundance of processed food. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
  • Melisa25
    Melisa25 Posts: 16
    Options

Thank you! I totaly agree with you. We are on the same page. People are so far removed from where their food comes from.
  • laulyn
    Options
    I find this discussion to be very interesting. Walmart is one of very few companies selling/using this GM corn. It's been all over the news, not just internet articles, that this corn is controversial. Personally, I am not about to eat a product that makes the internal organs of insects explode. Also, the rat studies are an area of concern. The reason that rats and mice are used in these studies is that they metabolize food and drugs in a way that is very similar to humans. The fact that the rats were having negative effects is of great concern. I am certain that many would argue that the rats were given huge quantities of this corn, but they only live a short time. How would this corn affect me over a 40 year period? Especially when I recognize the huge quantities of corn Americans consume every year in just the form of high fructose corn syrup.

I have read differing opinions on the subject of the quality of Walmart produce. After numerous bad experiences, I no longer buy any produce at Walmart whatsoever. Their produce is often bruised, infested with fruit flies, or rots to the point of being inedible withing 2-3 days. Their meat, even when labled 100% natural, is injected with huge amounts of water, and sometimes a solution to keep it from going bad so quickly. Still, their meat goes bad within 1-3 days of purchase.

Due to budget considerations, I do my shopping at 4 local supermarkets to get the best sale prices. During the summer, I grow most of my own produce in my teeny-tiny yard. I can or freeze the produce I grow to use throughout the winter. I also plant a winter vegetable garden, which provides me with brussel sprouts, cabbages, turnips, rutabagas, and greens.

Is all this easy? Is it convenient? No, not always. I have to do a certain amount of work to get it done. I don't watch television much, and I have less leisure time than most people. But my children are rarely sick, my homegrown produce is delicious, and my own health keeps improving. It's not easy, but it's not impossible.

Good for you!! :)
  • redhousecat
    Options

Could you please explain how farmers are to blame for processed food??? It is supply and demand. Much of the corn, soy, and milo produced goes to feed livestock. The rest goes to supply food to people who are buying crap. There's not a shortage of vegetables. I don't see anyone waiting on line at Walmart to pick out the freshest green beans and sweetest strawberries. Healthy food is available, much of the population just doesn't eat it. People want a some thing quick, so they buy fast food, canned good, frozen food, prepackaged food, but very little fresh food. America isn't demanding healthy food. That is probably why pork bellies are the only specific animal part that is publicly traded. If we are looking at how healthy we want people to eat, try changing with a movement on the demand end. I would specifically start with school breakfasts and lunches. I pack my child's lunch because I do not want her eating that processed food. We grow our own beef, we grow our own vegetables. It is certainly not the producers fault there is an abundance of processed food. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

exactly!