• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    maybe she was trying to beat a drug test

Or a hangover
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    garbage bag? rookie! I get one of those inflated sumo wrestler hallowen outfits, works more better.
    Amateur! I use a giant condom.

Kidding aside, a friend's wife does this often. They have their stationary bike out in the garage, which isn't air conditioned (so it's always 100+ degrees in there this time of year), and she'll go out there and do an hour on the bike in a plastic sauna suit. Whatever.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Wrestlers use it for cutting water weight, that or vinyl suits. Why someone who doesn't do competitive sports with weight classes would do it, I couldn't tell you.

Maybe she does. Maybe she's a boxer or wrestler? They weigh us in for pro cheerleading each week...

Or a fitness competitor?? I'm sure she had reasons even if they seem silly
  • vynnette26
    vynnette26 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work! I have done it plenty of times for weigh-ins but the water weight will always come back. DOn't do it it's a false reading on the scale. I don't do it any more and i'm trying to do it right this time.
  • sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yup in high school, my fiance and all his wrestling team would don the garbage bags under their sweatshirst and run to make weight. It's only temporary.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work! I have done it plenty of times for weigh-ins but the water weight will always come back.

Only if you drink water again. If you can do this and never drink any more water the weight will stay off forever.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work! I have done it plenty of times for weigh-ins but the water weight will always come back.

Only if you drink water again. If you can do this and never drink any more water the weight will stay off forever.

QFT
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    different strokes for different folks!!! There is a lady at my gym also that wears a trash bag thingy (homemade thing). Sweat away baby! Whatever floats your boat!!!
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Today at the gym I saw a woman working out. She used the weights first. Then she goes over to the shelves where people keep stuff (cubbie boxes instead of lockers) and pulls out a black garbage bag. It has arm holes and a head hole. She puts it on over her t shirt, puts on a long sleeve sweat shirt, and puts on a knitted winter hat. (It's summer here btw) Then she jumps on the treadmill. That can't be a good idea. Thoughts?
    I've done things similar to this to cut water weight for a fight.

She may be trying to shed some water weight. Maybe she's a fighter, or a body builder/fitness model. Maybe she had too many cocktails over the weekend. Cutting water weight is a science, and isn't dangerous when done properly.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Standard operating procedures if you need to make weight for wrestling, boxing or MMA. Other than that, you are one drink of water away from putting all "the weight" back on.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well a regular bag would be stupid but if it was a blue recycling bag that would be kewl.
  • krys65
    krys65 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    or a red hazmat bag :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've seen people do this. Usually overweight middle aged-elderly people at the gym. I feel bad for them, but I think they'll get offended if I tell them they're doing it wrong.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Putting the bag over your head is probably more effective.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work! I have done it plenty of times for weigh-ins but the water weight will always come back. DOn't do it it's a false reading on the scale. I don't do it any more and i'm trying to do it right this time.

Preach!

When i first started working out, my mom suggested this and of course I went along with it like an idiot. It seemingly worked for a neighbor who was struggling with her weight some many years down the line, buuuuuuuut no. It gives false hope. XD
  • DERBS21
    DERBS21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To Each His Own....or in this case Her Own...lol
  • Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Some of these comments seriously had me in giggle fits. Made my night.

But I've heard a story of a girl in my area that wraps her tummy when she walks. Kinda like those rip off wrap parties that you pay $40 to attend and lose water weight. They were all over my Facebook. But once I posted the truth with a couple links their popularity dropped drastically.
  • kduzera
    kduzera Posts: 15
    Options
    Hahaha
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    Wrestlers use it for cutting water weight, that or vinyl suits. Why someone who doesn't do competitive sports with weight classes would do it, I couldn't tell you.

I knew wrestlers in high school who did this. But it does not help with the long term.. perhaps she thought she looks better in black plastic.
  • Icaw
    Icaw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    She sounds trashy.

How could you litter do that?