Replies

• wazzanz
    wazzanz Posts: 78
    Options
    no that's why i have a wife :)
  • paulsmisses
    Options
    ok I feel like a cheater now. :)

dont feel like a cheater! i dont log every day cleaning but at a weekend when i am doing tiles floors stripping beds etc, too right i log it, if i am sweating and busy for hours i deserve the credit for it and i have been loosing steadily - 28lbs now - and certainky dont feel like a cheater. only you can decide what deserves the credit xx
  • tjm217
    tjm217 Posts: 1
    Options
    No, because I don't believe I have ever cleaned for 6 hours. Can I come live at your house with my family? :)
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I log my deep cleaning as cardio. If it exhausts me, it has to be burning calories!

I don't log my everyday straightening-up, dish-washing, laundry-folding type of stuff.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    no that's why i have a wife :)

LMAO...
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Did you enter in your profile "sedentary," as your life style? If you did, then IMO it would be OK to log cleaning as exercise. Just log less time. My activity is set as light active so I don't log cleaning.
  • happythermia
    Options
    I don't, but I have a fitbit (pedometer on crack!)

I would totally consider it if I didn't though!
  • ameliasnelling
    Options
    Personally I don't log it because I was still cleaning when I put weight on so it doesn't really feel like its part of the changes I have made. I only ever log actual exercise I do. But it's entirely up to you, just because you log it doesn't mean you have to eat the calories back either.

Well, before I got fat I lived in a much smaller house and had no kids. Then I had kids and moved to a bigger house so now my cleaning is MUCH different from before. But I like your idea of logging it and not eating back the calories. :) I think that's a good medium to making me feel productive and that I'm still dieting and on track.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't log every day cleaning, but if I'm moving furniture around to clean the carpets, scrubbing baseboards and walls, or anything else to really work up a sweat, yes I log that. I usually only log half the time and calories that my HRM read for that though.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do! I lug a 20-pound vacuume cleaner up and down three flights of stairs, carry loads of laundry up and down stairs, lift and shake out heavy rugs, move furniture, scrub bathrooms - well, I don't have to tell you! You have kids! It's a lot of strenuous work and is not something I do every day, so of course I log it in.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you set up your profile as "sedentary" I would definitely log it (I do!).
    I would not eat back all calories though because sometimes they sound a little on the high side. But if it is out-of-the-ordinary cleaning I log it.

^This
  • MbiggsHFD319
    MbiggsHFD319 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I log days that I do extra cleaning like if I shampoo carpets and mop floors or any cleaning that is well above a normal day, but not just normal everyday tidying up stuff.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Each of us is at a different point in our journey... never feel like you are cheating. Those who are in excellent shape probably shouldn't count it, but those of us who are a work in progress may want to depending on your fitness level. I am recovering from radiation, and cleaning is really a challenge for me so of course I log it.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    If it involves more activity than you typically do in a day, then yes, count it. If you're normally that active, I would say no.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Day to day stuff? No. But major cleaning that's measured in hours, yes. And I'll tell you why.... I wore my HRM one day when I went on a cleaning job (I do march-out cleaning) and it logged an average 200 calories per hour. Which pretty much explains why by the end of the day I'm sore from head to toe and starving. It's a pretty good workout.

Now... to "eat them back" or not, that's a whole other debate. I don't set out to. But neither do I really worry about what I eat on those days - if I want pizza, I figure that's a good day for pizza.
  • pjbrundage
    pjbrundage Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I log in my cleaning days if it causes me to work up a sweat and I am exhausted afterwards.
  • ameliasnelling
    Options
    Maybe this will help my plateau. I've been stuck at 128.3 pounds for 4 weeks!!
  • LaurenFox1031
    Options
    I logged cleaning my house once and my sister called me and said don't fool yourself sis, you're not doing yourself any favors. So, no, I don't log cleaning my house anymore, however I picked up a gig cleaning offices at night and I run around that place like crazy. I'm dripping by the time I'm done and feel like I've walked a mile and then some.

Basically, it's completely up to you. If it helps you get your butt off the couch when otherwise you'd be stationed in front of the TV, then log it but DO NOT eat the calories back.
  • CanadianThunder
    Options
    No. Cleaning got done before I lost weight, and will always need to be done.