Venison Recipes....Anyone??

Options
kimmie0627
kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
I am looking to start a section with venison recipes. I am hopeing I am not the only one who eat this great very lean meat. :heart:

Replies

• Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    what is vension meat?
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I normally just use venison for anything I would use beef. It's great in chili, fajitas, tacos, anything like that!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    what is vension meat?

Venison is deer
  • Lanie
    Lanie Posts: 4
    Options
    I cooked venison loin just basic grilled on the stove like steak. Then I made a reduced sauce out of red wine, port, garlic, and some herbs. Serve with mash or vegies.
  • Hailey
    Hailey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ya, we treat it just like beef, steaks on the BBQ are really good, that is if it was a good tasting deer.
    Also we use deer swiss streak style, cook it in the oven in a bunch of tomato sauce and canned tomatos with garlic. I think the acid in the tomatos takes away some of the gamey taste. Look us Swiss steak recipes on google!
  • lorimiller77
    lorimiller77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My mom made it all growing up by dipping the meat in flour, fry, transfer to a baking dish. In a bowl mix tomato sauce, a little lemon juice, a little brown sugar and worchestershire sauce. Coat the meat and bake at 350 until hot. It's pretty tasty
  • just2bfit
    Options
    give recipezaar.com a try, they have some game recipes. My fave way to cook venison is cubed and sauteed with onions and garlic, with just a bit of white wine at the end. Delish!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Growing up we'd use venison the exact same ways we'd use beef. Steaks, ground in chili, roasts, stews, meatloaf, etc. It IS really super good for you. Just don't over-season it with salt. A lot of people try to "get rid of the gamey flavor" and end up stripping away a lot of the health benefits by adding too much salt or salty seasonings.

Elk, moose, caribou, deer and bear are all pretty much interchangeable.

As for gamey flavor if you're concerned: don't be. Enjoy it for what it is. Game animals aren't raised on grains and corn, they're raised on whatever they could find to eat and that can have a mild to major effect on the taste of the meat. So sometimes it takes a little getting used to but you'll find if you eat enough of it that its far more flavorful than the factory-farm raised animals most of us are used to. It can also mean the meat from one animal may taste different from the next.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I use ground venison (1% fat) in my Diner Meat loaf muffins, in chili, tacos...anywhere I'd use hamburger.

I'd love to see something with the cubed steak....so far I am not a fan but I realize I just don't know how to prepare it! I use to make it coated in flour and then marinated (fried) in oil...but no more.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    My mom made it all growing up by dipping the meat in flour, fry, transfer to a baking dish. In a bowl mix tomato sauce, a little lemon juice, a little brown sugar and worchestershire sauce. Coat the meat and bake at 350 until hot. It's pretty tasty

That sounds good.
  • momof2gr8ones
    Options
    I grew up in a hunting family, too. I don't remember having beef, except for special occasions, really. One thing I like to do with my steaks is marinate them in italian dressing, olive oil and worcestershire sauce, then grill them to a medium rare. We usually cut our steaks thin, so they cook pretty quickly, but are super moist from the marinade!
  • jcompton3821
    Options
    We eat mostly venison during this time of year. I posted a recipe just today for Taco Soup...I listed it as Jennifers Homemade Taco Soup...I went to sparklepeoplerecipes.com and did the calorie conversion so it should be pretty accurate...1 cup of it is 336 calories...not too bad I don' t guess and it was really good.

If you want to use it for other recipes the easiest way for me to get the gamey taste out is to soak it in ice water...for as long as you can....then drain and cook it however..

Hope this helps!!:happy: :happy:
  • SNOWMAN101750
    SNOWMAN101750 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    online are many venison recipes, recipes.com just punch it in anywhere and they will pop up, I eat venison year round. enjoy
  • scrappinmom
    Options
    Very rarely do we have ground beef. We grind our own venison and know that there is no fat in the meat. We use it for all ground beef recipes. Venison steaks on the grill. So good for you.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options

That sounds delicious!!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If it's gamey or strong it probably wasn't processed carefully, we do our own.
    Treat it like a GOOD cut of meat and don't overcook it.

Fry up some onion, and bacon, just enough to smell good and add a bit of flavor 1-2 strips.
    1 onion, how ever much YOU like, remove bacon and onion.
    Pan fry a the steak, (or burger) in the bacon grease, sear on both sides.
    Put a lid over the meat, turn the burner OFF, let it sit for 10 minutes. Set the table, fix some veggies or just enjoy a glass of wine. ( You'll have to adjust for an electric stove)
    It should have juice in the pan when you look again and be med rare if you cut into it.
    Remove meat from pan, mix some cornstarch (tbsp?) with some red wine (1/4 cup ish) pour into juices heat stirring till it thickens , add a bit of water if it gets too thick.
    Throw the bacon(chopped) and onion back in the pan, heat a bit serve sauce over the meat.

One of our 'quick-n-dirty' favorites.
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My newest is pulled venision,

Made just like pulled pork..

Roast until tender flavor with garlic powder and pepper, in eletric skillet at 325. when tender pull apart with forks put in pot and cover with low sugar bbq sauce walden farms has some no carb no sugar bbq sauces.. DELISH>>> and so very low fat. serve with slaw.

Love it..
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love this thread.... so many people stick their noses up at deer meat (oh well more for me). Like everybody else deer meat can be substituded anywhere you use beef. It can also be a snack, deer jerky anyone. We usually make ours in a dehydrator and the flavor possibilities are endless.