Help...Look at my diary.

Options

Replies

• misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Oh honey its not a plateau . You need to add a sodium tracker, I did after a month and was shocked and I was eating healthy. You should take your lunch to work the money you save from eating out can be put towards a reward system. exercise does not matter if you are eating poorly. I go out to eat maybe twice a month and its healthy been on for 4 months have lost every week. consistency is the key. eating healty 7 days a week plus exercise cheats should be for special occasions, and not for a whole day one snack. Please add me if this doesn't sound too harsh.
  • PinkPaintedLady
    PinkPaintedLady Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    like everyone else, I am no expert...my advice for you (after skimming through your diary) is to incorporate more fresh, unprocessed food (ie. fruits, vegetables, whole grains). Like quantity, QUALITY of your calories is also important, you will find that you'll be much more satisfied and full throughout the day. I also suggest evening out your caloric intake throughout the day...instead of eating a 200 cal breakfast and 1000 cal lunch, aim for bigger breakfasts that way by lunchtime, you won't feel the need to go grab some fatty, high calorie fast food. I wish you luck, and hopefully you can come off of this plateau!
  • K3atie
    K3atie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, i know the feeling, i dont seem to be loosing, and i am trying to am around my bmr per day, slightly higher at weekends. perhaps you ned to track sodium and sugar and logging drinks, milky coffee can add a great deal to your daily calorie intake.
    I would say that looking at your diary quickly that you might want to thin about the hidden sugar in the fruit drinks.

i think if you had a bigger breakfast that would help as well, i am rying a protein shake and most days a mid morning portein bar (PHD diet whey) which fills me up and stops reaching for biscuits!

keep going we will get there!
  • Enough99
    Options
    I agree, cut back on the processed foods. Protien with every meal and snack. Eat 250 to 300 caloires every 3 hours to maintain your metabolism. Focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grain and protein...If cutting back on fast foods and processed foods is a challenge maybe start with lunch and make it the night before to take to work: salad with lite vinergerette dressing, protein such as chicken or tuna, fruit... whole wheat roll or bread if making a sandwich, or toss the chicken or tuna with brown rice or wheat pasta, all sorts of "light recipes" out there to be creative with and fit with your liking. The amount of sodium you are getting from the processed foods is way out there. Good luck.
  • PixiePickle
    PixiePickle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and I know it's widely debated already on many posts before, the whole eating back your exercise calories debate....it's one thing to eat them back but if you're eating above the calorie goal (including those you've earned) then you can't really expect to be loosing. :huh:
    I agree with everything the others have said & I always try and be conservative with my calories burnt because I don't have a HRM, MFP calories burnt can sometimes seem like a high burn to me.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • budercup
    budercup Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    drink more water and same as above not so much fast food, try protein bars,drinks etc...good luck
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    waay too much fast food. I totally get that you're down to one big meal per day. But it's the wrong food.

Add more to your breakfast. I do eggs and oatmeal (protein & carbs).
    Start brown bagging a 600 cal lunch.
    Reasonable dinner (salad and veggies).

Remember this is more of lifestyle change than a diet change.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well, really, if your concern is losing weight - portion control is the way to go.
    Eating out isn't the problem, actually, personally, it helped me.
    I mean, I didn't go out and get bic macs, but I did eat out ever so often and eat frozen entrees - and with that, I got my appetite under control. So... it's whatever helps.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There is more to losing weight than eating fewer calories than you expend. I know that if I eat out for 2 meals a week it will slow my weight loss to a stop. I'm attributing that to the sodium. Also, in my case, I really have to watch my carbs. Carbs and alcohol also stop my progress for a period of time even if I can account for the calories.

As someone still deep in this struggle, I would take a careful look at sodium and avoid eating out. Try eating foods that you make from healthy, fresh ingredients. V8 is really high in sodium even if it is a quick and easy way to get some vegies into your diet. Try eating more real fruit and vegies. Also, preparing meals from scratch is SO much cheaper than eating out or buying processed food.
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Same as above, eating too much fast food. I would limit it to maybe once a week, and when you do go, make the healthiest choice you can at which ever place you go. Taco Bell has a Fresca menu that is much lower in calories than the rest of their menu. At burger joints, I would stick to salads & ask for lemon wedges instead of dressing and squirt on top of salad or opt for a viniagarette dressing.

I would also suggest no carbs after lunch. For dinner have your protein with some greens or steamed vegies- no butter. And stop eating at least 2 1/2 -3 hours before bed time. Make extra protein for dinner, it goes great cut up on a salad for lunch the next day :) thats what i do!

Hope these are helpful..... but i believe cutting out the fast food & pre packaged foods (boxed rice, chips etc.) will really help you out.

Good luck girl :D
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember beyond going over your caloric intake regularly, that fast food caloric estimates are just estimates and usually are on the low side of what you might get in a restaurant. So something that is listed as 600 calories could be anywhere from 600-700 (or more).
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I also agree that your breakfast should be your biggest meal. Dinner should be the smaller of the three
  • Armenika
    Armenika Posts: 10
    Options
    I thought I had a problem that I was not losing weight even though I eat 1200 and less and burning around 400 through excessive but after looking at your diary I am really shocked you actually manage to lose anything! 700-800 kcal for one meal is enormous! the only fruit you eat is a plum and from vegetables your choice always stops at potato chips, you are lacking vital minerals fiber and nutrients, your diet doesn't consist of anything that would help you heal or repair,its time you radically change your diet before it's too late.good luck
  • Erstrace
    Options
    Based on what you posted at the start of this thread, it looks to me like your baseline calorie intake is set too low & that you are consuming in excess of the calories burned during exercise. When I run the calculations for an aggressive rate of weight loss (2 lbs/week), your intake seems like it should be ~1465/day (this is assuming a sedentary job, which is reasonble for anyone with a desk job...if you have a very physically active job, like a postal mail carrier, your intake may need to be adjusted upwards a bit to something around 1700/day). By doing exercise & then treating the calories burned as "extra" allowed intake calories, it negates the value of doing the exercise to some extent....I think I understand why myfitnesspal has things setup this way (to prevent people from running HUGE calorie deficits on a day to day basis), but it may be counter-productive to your goals for you to log your exercise on myfitnesspal, if doing so is causing you to increase your calories by the amount you burn in exercise.

As others on this thread have already posted, the quality of the calories consumed is very important. Home-prepared foods will be much lower in sodium and generally lower in fat than take-out selections (plus, portion control is easier with home-prepared foods). Consider modifying your food "goals" setting manually, adjusting the daily intake value to 1465 or 1500/day and then adjusting the carbs/protein/fats percentages to something like 40/40/20 or 40/30/30. Protein will help control hunger. For good carb choices, rely on unrefined grains (vs things made with white flour/white rice, etc.) and try to limit sugar from sources other than whole foods like fresh fruit, skim milk, etc.

Good luck and best wishes! If it were easy, it wouldn't be a challenge! :) Keep working at it! You can do it!
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of advice at once in this thread, and it's going to be pretty overwhelming. Pick one thing at a time to focus on for a week and once you get that sorted, move on to the next.

I definitely agree with cooking at home and drinking lots of water.

Some of my busy friends do all their cooking for the week on the weekends, freeze some for dinner portions, and they have fresh leftovers during the week for lunches and tasty dinners out of the freezer on rotation. It takes 2-3 weeks to set up that system but it can be really rewarding.
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I only scrolled through a weeks worth, but here is my opinion. Keep in mind I am not an expert. First I think that you need to start tracking your sodium. Based on some of your choices you are probably higher than the recommended intake. Try drinking your 8 glasses of water everyday so that you aren't retaining. That should make a difference within a week or two. Also you need to add some more fruits and veggies to your diet (high fibre) and try to eat less processed.

The thing I noticed first of all was all the sodium you were eating, then I looked at the numbers for your past week and sure enough, you were almost constantly going over. I have the same issue. I try to make sure I'm drinking 6-8 glasses of water to help flush out the sodium. I do eat out, but I try to rarely eat out, because I can't control the sodium intake when I eat out. Just my opinion.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else about not eating out and eating cleaner. I have bad weeks with eating out and I literally gain about 5lbs. As soon as I start eating clean again it comes off. Also, I know it is hard but try to work out at least 60 minutes a day with strength training at least twice a week. You will be amazed at what a couple of days of lifting can do (even if it is light). I bought Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 and 30 day shred (only about $8 for each) and the workouts are less than 30 minutes. So, you could do that and the elliptical to get 60 min in.

Remember diet is 80% of the battle.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to start tracking your sodium. That helped me a ton. I had no idea how much I was consuming.

^^^this and maybe you need to up your calories and change your routine...you could have hit a plateau....I am constantly changing my workouts each month!
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry ... I don't think you are being very honest with your self.. I mean .. When you see Jack in the box as lunch choices more than once a week and you wonder why the weight isn't coming off...

Just because you are hitting your calorie goal doesn't mean you are hitting your calorie goal with the right foods..

I mean I could eat ice cream for every meal and every snack up to my calorie cap doesn't meal I did good or I will be losing weight.
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know what to say because I'm eating alot less calories than you. If I ate over 2000 calories a day I'm afraid I would gain all 100 pounds back and very quickly. I would first of all stop eating out, eating so much starch and fried food and eat some veggies. But it's just an idea. I ate out, ate alot and ate more meat and starch for three weeks this summer when I was traveling and gained 10 pounds back but now it's coming back off. Good luck and I hope I've helped.