Embarassed to use free weights

Options
13»

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Just be cool. Don't curl in the squat rack.

Ha!

I'd also say re-rack your weights. For the love of god, re-rack your weights.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hi, well done for joining :) and for wanting to head over to the free weights!

Is there a trainer or gym personnel that does inductions etc, that you could ask to show you some routines? You tube is great along with Bodybuilding.com for showing you video's of how to do some of the lifts etc, so you have an 'idea' of what you should be doing. Just remember to keep it light enough that you can maintain your 'form' as soon as you feel that slipping back down a step of weight just till you get it ingrained. :)

I have joined my local gym recently. I have lifted in the past, but not for 15 years or so. So much has changed in a gym in that time it's very strange even to me. But remember that everyone is there to work out, they're not there to judge you. We all judge each other everyday, as we walk past etc, but we try not to be unkind. It's no different in the gym. The fact is though, you're there to change and get fitter / better / stronger etc, No one can take that away from you, and once you get into it, you'll forget anyone is there! The trainer at my gym made me jump the other day, he wanted to help correct my form on a lift, i was in a world of my own and had forgotten anyone else was around! lol

You'll soon settle in and get a routine you're happy with, good luck!
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    I didn't need to ask for help using the free weights - the minute I picked them up, the big bodybuilders rushed over to help me. I thought it was because they thought i was hot, but it turned out it was because I was using them so badly/wrongly that it was painful to watch ...

Seriously though ... you could just ask one of them, or ask one of the gym instructors? You are judging yourself far more harshly than they will every judge you!
  • skulcherry
    skulcherry Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i have found in the past that a lot of the guys using the free weights are more then willing to show you the right way to do an exercise. Don't let people intimidate you nobody is born with perfect muscles we all had to start somewhere.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    It took me ages to build up the courage to get my *kitten* in the free weight section, and I sill feel a bit self conscious sometimes. I find if you don't look at anyone and just go into your own zone you kinda forget about the men there.

Having a plan of what you are going to do is really good, as then you can move freely into the next move without time for fretting what to do and feeling like people are wondering why you are there

Have fun!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Just be cool. Don't curl in the squat rack.

Ha!

I'd also say re-rack your weights. For the love of god, re-rack your weights.

^^I wish someone would tell this to some of the guys at my gym. Strong, but lazy. :angry:
  • McGrew822
    Options
    Simple: don't be embarrassed. You could minimize that feeling by going when it's less crowded - later than 10:00 P.M. is always a winner for me, simply because I don't like having to wait for a bench / rack. More importantly, there will be very few people who frown upon a girl / an overweight person lifting beside them. Gyms are a *kitten* magnet, so forget about them and focus on yourself and your goals. Also, if you're not certain your technique is right, you can always ask someone or search for it online.

Edit: it seems a lot of people take issue with the "regular" guys that are in there every day and don't seem terribly friendly. As one of those guys, I assure you it's not that we don't like you lifting, it's just that we're more interested in thinking about our own workouts, and you shouldn't feel intimidated by us. If anything, we're generally the guys you want to ask to check your technique.
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    As some others have suggested, if your gym offers a one time orientation or PT session i would take advantage of that and ask as many questions as possible. You could also ask one of the employees at the front desk (whom are usually socializing or checking their facebook) to give you a quick tour of the facilities and run through of the machines and various equipment.

Go on off peak hours and familiarize yourself with these machines and equipment on your own and then just go for it. I was intimidated when I first started lifting but now I could care less cause nobody else cares. Everyone is focused on their own workouts. And if I do feel intimidated I just get in there grab those heavy weights and tell myself "Thats right, girl. You kick *kitten*!"
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Edit: it seems a lot of people take issue with the "regular" guys that are in there every day and don't seem terribly friendly. As one of those guys, I assure you it's not that we don't like you lifting, it's just that we're more interested in thinking about our own workouts, and you shouldn't feel intimidated by us. If anything, we're generally the guys you want to ask to check your technique.

Totally, I've found the guys in the free weights section to be fantastic, a few have seen me workout with my trainer, and if I'm over there on my own, they always offer support and advice, help correct my form as my trainer would, then quite often they pop down to the jacuzzi afterwards as do I, and then they really are a nice bunch who chat over the work outs and that in there and offer extra hints and tips and praise etc, and they discuss other stuff they do (very few in my gym just pose at the weights, they do lots of other stuff too) and they always say hello, and comment if I'm doing right as well as wrong, totally decent bunch of guys :-)

To be honest I find the women who lift at my gym to be less helpful, they just fly in and fly out of the weights section! The guys will chat between sets if they are on a break same time as me etc :-)
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    go early in the morning, or late in the evening (or at some other time) when there aren't many people there. I did this when I was getting comfortable with my new routine :-)
  • dconnolly818
    dconnolly818 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ask one of the trainers to help you out a bit, at most gyms they will be happy to help. You could also watch some of the 'super fit' people(in a not terribly conspicuous way, if possible haha) and try to mimic their form :D