What do you look for in a gym?

Options
What's the most important thing you look for in a gym?

Cleanliness? Cost? Equipment? Pool? Location? Just curious.

I'm looking into getting back into the gym, and I'm having a hard time finding one that really "clicks" for me!

Replies

• socalgirl68
    Options
    Clean, lots of machines and weights, and a pool.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Heavy free weights. If they don't have up to at least 100lbs dumbells, I'd leave and not work there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Location is the first thing for me. If it's too far out the way you'll find yourself talking your way out of it. After that I make sure that they have the equipment I like. And plenty of squat racks, so that I have a convenient place to do bicep curls
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I really just looked for location.

My gym has a pool/hot tub and free classes.. which I never use because I don't like to swim and hate working out with others.

I just wish my gym had more squat racks.. because it seems like everyone does everything but squat in the squat rack.
  • blakhitman
    Options
    yea location is most important for me too. I mean most gyms have the necessities (for me), but that's cause I only use the gym to get in there lift some heavy *kitten* weights and get the hell out. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Top 3, in no particular order: Location, Squat Rack/Power Cage, Oly Bars.

ETA: it really depends on your objectives though and what you like to do.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Eye candy
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Cheap, long hours, friendly staff (not clueless teenage punks that are more worried about looking cute and hitting on coworkers) and types of patrons. I have no interest working out with a bunch of bunnies pretending to work out nor do I want to be surrounded by people working on Mr. Olympia contest 1st place either. I like just being around laid back people working on their own thing where I'm fairly certain that I wont have to talk to anyone. LOL
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Well, for practicality - cost & location. But I know I won't be interested if there's not a lot of free weights and more than 1 real squat rack/cage station & preferably a good deadlift station (w/ bumpers & platform). I also like to see when their busy times are - hopefully not when I wanna go.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I hope you weren't looking for me. I haven't been there in ages :-)
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Olympic weight lifting pits, also look for the absence of threadmills, elliptical and circuit workout machines. dumbbells over 70lbs, same for kettlebells. I like a place where people actually like to sweat and not a fashion show. I am there to work, not socialize.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Fresh air, no mirrors, no night club thumping music with disco lights, noposeurs, '' personal trainers'' pimping themselves by interrupting my workout and saying im doing it 'wrong', no monthly fees that put car payments to shame.

the best gym is the great outdoors and the only gym equipment you will ever need is your body. thats it.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Heavy free weights. If they don't have up to at least 100lbs dumbells, I'd leave and not work there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. I actually just switched gyms because of this.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Everything! I wanted a variety of machines, and a decent amount of each so I dont have to queue for ages! Good treadmills, comprehensive free weights section, classes, pool, tennis court, activities for my child whilst I'm there, friendly staff, and helpful as a must!

Not to look down on people (staff that is) and a friendly vibe from the other patrons, clean, welcoming.

Honestly my list could go on and on!
  • vvnhuynh
    Options
    I think the most important factor is the location. If you have a location that's convenient for you, you would go often! I know this from experience because I have a gym in my two different homes in two states - one that is within a walkable distance I go to at least once a day and I stay motivated. The other is within driving distance. Although the latter is relatively close, on certain days you just don't have the motivation to go and once you stay to drift off from your routine, it's easy to drop the fitness habit.

So good luck with finding a gym close to you!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Location - is it nearby and easily accessible.

Equipment - does it have newer good quality exercise equipment & a good variety/amount?

Depending on what you want to do there, you may want a gym that has classes, a pool or a tennis court etc. at this point in my training, these things don't necessarily worry me, however it's good to have these other things for variety.

Cost & Staff are important - I hate going to 'big' gyms as costs seem expensive and the staff rarely remember who I am - I am currently at a small gym and the two personal trainers know me and the gym manager. I hate being forgotten or feeling like I am unable to ask staff a question etc because they present that they will 'get to know me' blah blah blah but they NEVER do (they'll say anything to suck you in to a 12 month membership!)
  • dstackable
    Options
    Location is always good. I like a rec center over just a gym cause I like to shoot hoops with my workout...
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    location is important
    squat racks and olympic plates
    long hours

one of the things i like about my gym is that they put money back into it.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Free weight section
    Hours
    Cleanliness
    How crowded it is during peak hours
    Not a popular 'pick up joint' (many gyms seems to attract the type of people that go to gyms to hook up rather than work out)
    other amenities (pool? track? anything else that makes it stand out?)

I recently joined a gym that is near my house, is very clean, has complimentary workout towels, has a ton of different classes (including spin and water classes), a pool, a decent sized free weight section, good hours, isn't too crowded during peak hours and also has some unique items like TRX and pilates reformers. It also has a lot of cardio machines but that isn't a major concern of mine.
  • mmenos1023
    Options
    Friendly staff and free classes. For my money both are incredibly important. Classes are also a great way to meet people with similar goals and can keep you motivated.