Women & macros

Options
Hi ladies,

To those of you successfully losing weight, what % is your fat, carbs, protein set at? I worry that MPF sets the carbs and fat too high and the protein too low...

Thanks!

Replies

• RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

To those of you successfully losing weight, what % is your fat, carbs, protein set at? I worry that MPF sets the carbs and fat too high and the protein too low...

Thanks!

You're right about MFP setting the protein too low. I'm set to 1500 calories: 40% Carbs, 35% Protein, 25% Fat. But rather than percentages, it's probably a better bet to look at total grams. So I came to my settings not by percentages, but by working out this way:

1) Set your calorie goals from your TDEE. Since I am 10 lbs from my goal weight, I'm aiming for 1/2 of fat loss per week, so subtracting 250 calories from my TDEE gives me 1500 calories per day. (You can let MFP do this for you and then just play with the percentages after you figure out the rest.)

2) Set your protein to 1-1.5 grams per pound of LBM (lean body mass = total weight minus fat pounds). My LBM is about 108 lbs, and I used 1.2 g protein/ lb of LBM to get about 130 g protein.

3) Set your fat grams. 0.3-0.7 g fat per each pound of goal weight is a good range. If you do much cardio, you can pick near the lower end of the range to allow for more carbs. Since I do a lot of cardio, I picked 0.3X135 lbs to give me ~41 grams of fat.

4) Set your carb grams. A reasonable minimum is 50 g of carbs, but you need at least 100 to avoid ketosis. To fit my goal of 1500 calories, I subtract out the protein and fat calories. 1g protein = 4 calories; 1 g fat = 9 calories, 1 g carb = 4 calories. So"
    1500 - 4X130 - 9X41 = 611 carb calories
    Divide by 4 to get grams of carbs: 153

5) Now pick the percentages that get you closest to the gram carbs. For me it was the 40/35/25 for C/P/F.

Although I always try to make sure I get those 130 g of protein in, I am a bit more flexible about the carbs and fat ratios. Protein will help you maintain the muscle that you have as you lose, and it'll help with satiety.

Many people just set their macros at 40/30/30. But it is good to do the math just to make sure you are getting enough of each macronutrient.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump...i had the same question
  • lepow
    lepow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've never seen those calculations before. Thanks for sharing!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't need a lot of protein, even if you are doing heavy weight lifting. Some people find that higher protein levels help them feel satiated though. The US RDA for protein is set at 52g/day but many people go over that.

I did re-adjust the MFP percentages myself to 60/20/20 which I find is good for me. My protein falls somewhere in the 60-100g range per day.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm at 50% carbs, 25% each fat and protein. I run and lift on alternate days, with one or two rest days a week. I'm currently in sort-of maintenance. I'm eating maybe 150 calories below maintenance Monday through Friday, and not logging on weekends, when I'm less strict about calories and macros. (Hey, if I'm invited to a BBQ, I'm not counting an exact serving of potato chips!). I'm happy with where I am, but if I lose a few pounds, that's ok.

So at a minimum of 1600 calories, that gives me a minimum of 100g of protein. Usually more. I don't care too much about carbs or fat, but I check my diary and might add a bit of olive oil to dinner if I'm really low on calories and fat for that day.

Edited to add: I started aiming for 100g of protein a day about a year ago, and I was amazed at the change in how I felt. Everything was easier. I could run faster and longer, lift heavier, do pushups from toes instead of from knees, etc. And just all around felt more satisfied with my food intake and energy level.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't need a lot of protein, even if you are doing heavy weight lifting. Some people find that higher protein levels though help them feel satiated though. The US RDA for protein is set at 52g/day but many people go over that.

I did re-adjust the MFP percentages myself to 60/20/20 which I find is good for me. My protein falls somewhere in the 60-100g range per day.

It's definitely true that people think they need A LOT more protein than they really do as protein doesn't physically MAKE your muscles bigger, despite popular belief.

But I am in the crowd that says protein makes me feel fuller, longer. Carbs make me crave more carbs so they don't make me feel full for a long period of time. Whether it's oatmeal, cream of wheat, or just toast all of it makes me just crave more carbs - or sweets. That's why I tend to stick to protein for breakfast.

This didn't answer the OPs question at all but maybe it's useful info haha.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    Honestly, you don't need a lot of protein, even if you are doing heavy weight lifting. Some people find that higher protein levels though help them feel satiated though. The US RDA for protein is set at 52g/day but many people go over that.

It's definitely true that people think they need A LOT more protein than they really do as protein doesn't physically MAKE your muscles bigger, despite popular belief.

But I am in the crowd that says protein makes me feel fuller, longer. Carbs make me crave more carbs so they don't make me feel full for a long period of time. Whether it's oatmeal, cream of wheat, or just toast all of it makes me just crave more carbs - or sweets. That's why I tend to stick to protein for breakfast.

This didn't answer the OPs question at all but maybe it's useful info haha.

Yeah, it seems like people are overly concerned about protein intake on this site which I don't quite understand. I can understand someone saying protein helps them. I don't eat meat so a lot of my protein sources are coupled with carbs (such as beans), which is why my carb count is generally higher. I feel satiated though so it works out.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Carbs: 55% - no processed foods, no white flour, no sugar, fresh veggies, fruit, whole grains, sprouted grains, beans
    Fat: 30% - healthy fats from foods only like nuts and avocado
    Protein: 15% - due to medical necessity
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    Your Daily Goal (I'm surmising the last 3 are all in grams) 1,360 calories, 187 carbs 45 fats 51 protein
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Thanks!

I'm at 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. Those are not something I can hit every single day but I don't consider changing them.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I'm currently at 15% carbs, 35% protein, and 50% fat. I'm only low carbing to try and get the last 10 lbs off, but it seems to be working pretty well
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    Oh and Sophie, looking at your diary, based on the days you are fully tracking, it seems you are getting 70-80g protein which is a pretty good range. Unless you feel you need to mix things up for some reason.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Carbs: 45%
    Fat: 30%
    Protein: 25%

Net Calories are 1800

I've been losing > 2 lbs per week so far, but it will slow down soon enough, I'm sure.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates: 45%
    Fat: 30%
    Protein: 25%

I don't obsess over the numbers too much, though. My main focus is calories. I find that if I make an effort to incorporate more protein in my meals, then everything just seems to go where it's supposed to.

:)
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am on 40 carbs 30 of fat and protein I struggle to get enough protein though and always go over on fat and carbs. I run and lift on alternate days ( on holiday at the moment so only running). When I get back home I will be trying to eat higher protein and lift more need to gett body fat down and tone up while still having enough energy to run. Running is my main exercise, addicted to be honest running my first marathon in October.
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Thanks!

You're right about MFP setting the protein too low. I'm set to 1500 calories: 40% Carbs, 35% Protein, 25% Fat. But rather than percentages, it's probably a better bet to look at total grams. So I came to my settings not by percentages, but by working out this way:

1) Set your calorie goals from your TDEE. Since I am 10 lbs from my goal weight, I'm aiming for 1/2 of fat loss per week, so subtracting 250 calories from my TDEE gives me 1500 calories per day. (You can let MFP do this for you and then just play with the percentages after you figure out the rest.)

2) Set your protein to 1-1.5 grams per pound of LBM (lean body mass = total weight minus fat pounds). My LBM is about 108 lbs, and I used 1.2 g protein/ lb of LBM to get about 130 g protein.

3) Set your fat grams. 0.3-0.7 g fat per each pound of goal weight is a good range. If you do much cardio, you can pick near the lower end of the range to allow for more carbs. Since I do a lot of cardio, I picked 0.3X135 lbs to give me ~41 grams of fat.

4) Set your carb grams. A reasonable minimum is 50 g of carbs, but you need at least 100 to avoid ketosis. To fit my goal of 1500 calories, I subtract out the protein and fat calories. 1g protein = 4 calories; 1 g fat = 9 calories, 1 g carb = 4 calories. So"
    1500 - 4X130 - 9X41 = 611 carb calories
    Divide by 4 to get grams of carbs: 153

5) Now pick the percentages that get you closest to the gram carbs. For me it was the 40/35/25 for C/P/F.

Although I always try to make sure I get those 130 g of protein in, I am a bit more flexible about the carbs and fat ratios. Protein will help you maintain the muscle that you have as you lose, and it'll help with satiety.

Many people just set their macros at 40/30/30. But it is good to do the math just to make sure you are getting enough of each macronutrient.

Thank you for this great information!
  • SophieW1988
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks ladies!
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't need a lot of protein, even if you are doing heavy weight lifting. Some people find that higher protein levels help them feel satiated though. The US RDA for protein is set at 52g/day but many people go over that.

Those RDI recommendations are based on outdated research and are not optimal for those on diets. More recent research suggests that we should have a higher intake of protein, especially when dieting, since 1) it spares loss of muscle and 2) it has a strong satiating effect (moreso than carbs or fat, although consuming sufficient fat helps with this as well). And, unless one is vegetarian, these levels of protein should not be hard to reach. If you decide you only want to consume 60 g of protein, just recognize your weight loss might not be of optimal quality. Read the links below for some additional elaboration:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-2.html
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    60% fat 35% protein and 5% carbs