nothing eaten and I'm not hungry?!

Options
So yesterday I went almost all day without eating, and I wasn't the least bit hungry, however, I forced myself to eat something so I could have something in my system. I had a can of pears and a small home made taco. I also worked earlier that morning. After about 8, I felt so full like I had stuffed my face. Today I ate around 1pm, a tuna fish sandwich from subway, its now 7:30 and I'm not hungry... I bought a salad, but only ate half of it... Because I don't want to deprive myself of nutrients.

Is something wrong with me? Is it bad not to eat when you're not hungry even if you only ate once that day? Am I doing more harm by eating when I'm not hungry?

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. asap
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    EATTTTT! And I second that ^^^.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I think you'll probably get different opinions.

Personally I think its best to not eat if you're not hungry. But then again I have a hard time separating cravings from hunger.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Also I should state that I'm saying I think its fine as long as its only happening once in awhile. Not daily. If it is happening daily you really should see a doctor.
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I kind of have the same thing going on today. I don't want to eat when i am not hungry.....that is one of the things that got me in the bad place I am in.
    Today, I just haven't been hungry....and well......maybe tomorrow.
  • deborah0123
    Options
    So yesterday I went almost all day without eating, and I wasn't the least bit hungry, however, I forced myself to eat something so I could have something in my system. I had a can of pears and a small home made taco. I also worked earlier that morning. After about 8, I felt so full like I had stuffed my face. Today I ate around 1pm, a tuna fish sandwich from subway, its now 7:30 and I'm not hungry... I bought a salad, but only ate half of it... Because I don't want to deprive myself of nutrients.

Is something wrong with me? Is it bad not to eat when you're not hungry even if you only ate once that day? Am I doing more harm by eating when I'm not hungry?

To be honest with you I have to make myself eat. I have my boss at work onto me and my hubby at home..I feel like a little whiny kid when I say..I am not hungry ..go away. but they they try to see what and if I have eaten...this is awful but a lot of times I lie to my husband and say yes and then say I ate subway which is next door to my office..bad girl I know..
  • Claire411
    Claire411 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't know... a taco... a sandwich from subway and salad. These seem like big meals to me. Though I'm recovering from mouth surgery and can only eat liquids. But still on any day, a subway sandwich would take away my hunger for the whole day. Same for taco's to think of it.

If you've been on a calorie restrictive diet lately then it's probably just your stomach and metabolism slowing down and ajusting to the calorie content of the diet.
  • Cassandram333
    Cassandram333 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i go through fazes where i hardly eat...then a few days later i could eat a horse. so i guess its only for the moment its ok.

but yes, i reckon if ur not hungry then dont eat. maybe its something else bothereing you that's not making you feel hungry? for example, when i have a few things going on that upset me or something very exciting happening, i dont feel hungry at all.

but that's just me. i'm not suggesting that you're emotoins are up and about but yeah. not sure.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast, I don't get hungry... in fact I can go a while without eating.... but if I do, I feel like I can't stop. :( If that makes any since... Personally, I like not eating ... but I get yelled at, by a lot of people if I don't. No win for me
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Checking your diary, this is what I think. Through July, you put yourself on 700 to 1600cals a day. What you eat is mostly fast food or junk food. You probably strained yourself to stay low during those days or made a very bad calorie zigzaging. Long story short, you don't feel hungry because mentally you supressed your hunger for the past one and a half months, if not longer.

That is worrisome.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Well I've been eating fewer calories, but just because I'm not as hungry. It's day two this has happened, and I even have a slight headache, like I usually get when I don't eat. But my stomach isn't begging for food. I'll see how tomorrow goes, if it continues, I may look onto medical assistance. I don't want to set myself back!
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast, I don't get hungry... in fact I can go a while without eating.... but if I do, I feel like I can't stop. :( If that makes any since... Personally, I like not eating ... but I get yelled at, by a lot of people if I don't. No win for me

you just described me! If I don't eat breakfast, I can go until about two or three before I start to get a little hungry. (I am drinking water all day though)
    But I have people say.....you CAN'T skip breakfast....it's the most important meal of the day. So I tried. By 9:00 I was thinking....the clock must be broken.....it just HAS to be lunch time.......feed me feed me feed me!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Well I've been eating fewer calories, but just because I'm not as hungry. It's day two this has happened, and I even have a slight headache, like I usually get when I don't eat. But my stomach isn't begging for food. I'll see how tomorrow goes, if it continues, I may look onto medical assistance. I don't want to set myself back!

Talking to a dietician can help. A good meal plan may speed up your weight loss and make sure you don't end up with any deficiencies while losing weight :flowerforyou:

I'd tell you to start eating lean meat, eggs, low fat dairy, beans, vegetables, fruits and nuts but first you need to gain a healthy appetite back.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options

you just described me! If I don't eat breakfast, I can go until about two or three before I start to get a little hungry. (I am drinking water all day though)
    But I have people say.....you CAN'T skip breakfast....it's the most important meal of the day. So I tried. By 9:00 I was thinking....the clock must be broken.....it just HAS to be lunch time.......feed me feed me feed me!

I can go to about 4-6 depending on the day, but wow... you are the first person I have meet like that... :drinker:
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat breakfast, I usually skip it because I'm not hungry and I hate forcing food on myself. However, tomorrow I get to go back to my apartment, so I can make a lot more home made foods. That's exciting.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Man, I can't go more than 2 hours without eating, or I turn into mega-b!tch!

Try having small meals throughout the day, and building your calorie intake up gradually.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a funny thing... if the brain keeps sending hunger signals and you don't eat, it will stop sending those signals. Happens with people. Happens with animals. Saw it all the time working as a vet tech. It's a survival mechanism. And when the brain stops sending hunger signals, it also sends signals to slow down your other body processes. In other words... your metabolism slows down.

And if there's one thing I learned from working in an animal hospital, food is the best appetite stimulant. Get a dog or cat that isn't eating for whatever reason, and you often have to force feed it to get it to start eating again.

One odd day here or there with no appetite is fine. Normal even. When it happens regularly, it's becoming a problem.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I can go to about 4-6 depending on the day, but wow... you are the first person I have meet like that... :drinker:

Nope, you are not alone. I actually forget to eat somedays. As long as I am busy, I just do not feel hunger until I am so far gone that I am famished. Not really a good thing.
    G
  • revncarmichael
    revncarmichael Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Boy, there are days when I am not as hungry as others, but this sound more unusual. I would eat at least 5 smaller meals a day to make sure you are getting the nutrion and calories you need to maintain your body. Calculate how many calories you need to maintain. You do not say how many pounds you need to lose. See a doctor to get some advice. :smile:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I'm not sure about the "not being hungry" reason, but if you continue to eat only 800-900 calories per day, you will be in starvation mode. What that does is; when you do start to eat a regular diet, your body will hoard every single calorie and store as much as possible as fat. You will get into the yo-yo diet thing and you will regret it. You will never be able to eat "normally" if you continue on this path. It will always be difficult for you to lose weight in the future. You need to start cooking at home and get in the habit of eating fresh fruits and veggies along with good lean protein sources. If this sounds a little direct, it's meant to be. Don't set yourself up for a lifetime of dieting failure.

Edit: Pay attention to the MFP warning when your calories are below 1200! It's there for a reason.