exersize with a 2 yr old following me everywere

Options
13»

Replies

• shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I try to do leg lifts whilst brushing my teeth, lunges whilst waiting for the kettle to boil or when my kids are playing around me, play chase, etc... And I do stuff when they are in bed. I'm hoping to get a bike seat for my youngest to take him on the bike with me when the bigger one is at nursery,
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I know you said you get sleepy when your little one naps, but that's really the best time if you're not an early riser. When I stay up late to workout, it keeps me up and waking up early makes me so so tired. My 4 & 2 year olds nap at the same time, but my 10mo still takes two naps a day.

You just gotta make it work! Some days I split up my workout, even though I prefer the sweat-inducing, heart-pumping feeling from a great workout all at once. Good luck mama!
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity and P90x workouts while my 19 month old is awake in the morning right after we eat breakfast...besides today but that's a different story. I usually just give him some toys. He loves watching me and will try to imitate my moves. If I'm doing floor exercises he will climb on me but I just laugh and giggle with him and enjoy the extra resistance.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Does your child like the Wiggles? You can get a good aerobic workout in while your toddler dances with you.
  • Cheesburgerlover
    Cheesburgerlover Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks those are good suggestions. I especially liked the idea of a handsfree stroller with a harness thingy because when I run I like to swing my arms to go faster & dont like having them gripped around the stroller handle. Now i just have to find out were to get one of those and how much it is.
  • Cheesburgerlover
    Cheesburgerlover Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks those are good suggestions. I especially liked the idea of a handsfree stroller with a harness thingy because when I run I like to swing my arms to go faster & dont like having them gripped around the stroller handle. Now i just have to find out were to get one of those and how much it is.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    When my son was that age I moved my weights into the living room and I put him in a walker or one of those bouncy seats while I lifted. For sit ups I actually held him on my chest as weight. He thought it was fun.

you put your 2 year old in a bouncy seat?
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I hear ya - but seriously - do a work out while your child sleeps! You feel much better after the work out then after a nap.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Do you have any girlfriends with kids?? You could do a swap! If she watched your kiddos for an hour while you exercise, then you could watch her kids for an hour so she can do whatever she wants.

For me, I have to get my workout done in the am before everyone's up -- it SUCKS don't get me wrong, I'm no super woman or anything, I'm just desperate to get this weight off, and when I tried in July to join a bootcamp at 6:30pm, I only made it to two classes...hubby is late from work, can't get a babysitter, and it sjust caotic in general. So then I found a group that meets at 6am for an hour 3 times a week... I've only missed twice and that was because I was playing the lazy card lol - my goal is to keep making it to the class for 2 weeks straight, then start waking up on the off days at the same time to go for a run...ugh - it's achallenge, but there's no other way!!
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of taebo when they were little, They liked me making a fool out of myself ( always had one eye on them and one on the video ) I use my exercise bike a lot ( they have those little tyke exercise bikes to if you have the money for one ) i didn't lol
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    OHHH...and, I know what you mean by mid-day nap time, you're so exausted, BUT if she sleeps for a couple hours, like my kids do, try to make yourself do a quick 20 min video then 10 min shower, and you still have an 1.5 nap for yourself!! :)
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My youngest it 2 as well. So i am trying to go for walks, i took her in our bike trailer today and went for a ride. Nice little workout :-)
    Oh and i also try to workout in the morning to a JM dvd before my kids wake up. Doesn't always work but 20 minutes is better than 0!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Push him on the swings. Take him for a walk with you and play tag. Do aerobics or yoga or tai chi in the living room and having him tag along. Play frisbee or catch. They throw some badly you'll do lots of running. :laugh:

And there's my favorite - nap time.

You can't do adult exercise uninterrupted with a 2 year old But you can exercise. You just have to be flexible. So what else is new when it comes to being a parent?
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

not sure where one buys a "hands free jogging stroller"
    but,
    i saw this gizmo: that you attach to a jogger-stroller.
    (might be on Ebay for cheaper)
    http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Jogging-Stroller-Adaptor-Medium/dp/B000M9KMXY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Here is another one, some kind of belt you'd attach to a jogger-stroller
    http://www.stroll-smart.com/

the gal in video above looks so happy in the video, hee hee! so does the child. I felt my legs getting firmer just watching her!!!

^i'd imagine you get extra points/burn even more, for jogging with extra weight!!

also, several places sell rain-covers for jogger strollers, too, who knew? Like a shield of clear plastic which slips over the stroller, lots of "jogger stroller accessories" all over the net. Also bug nets and sun covers, all kinds of accessories, even odometers and speakers, lol.

tons of "jogger strollers" out there, just tons of 'em now. Happy Hunting, and don't forget to check Ebay or places for better deals.
  • BalletBadass
    Options
    Dance is about the easiest thing with my kiddos. I have 18 month old twins and a 3 year old (thankfully the 6 year old is in school!). I'll put some music on and get a dance party going in the house. It's hilarious.

For strength, baby jump squats are good. Hold the baby, squat, stand and toss the baby. Catch, squat, repeat. I've only dropped a kid once and it wasn't my fault. Really.