Fruit - do you eat it??

Options
nixism
nixism Posts: 258 Member
Who here loves fruit?
I never have been a fan of most fruits and that has got worse since joing MFP.
Fruit is so "expensive" cals wise... don't you think??
I am struggling to get a peice or two eaten most days... a real mission!

Replies

• Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Eat it all the time and everyday. I try to get a serving of fruit and a serving of veggies everyday. Not much, but a definite improvement over how I was eating before MFP. Experiment with various fruits, you may find one you're passionate about. Also, peanut butter on an apple is to die for!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't like fruit that much, my body doesn't like fruit. If I eat fruit it can stimulate me to overeat. I do, however, like and eat berries occasionally.

It's a benefit for me to avoid fruit, but I get all the good stuff, with less sugar, in my vegetables.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Yes, but I love fruit. I usually have 2 - 3 servings per day. The most common kinds I eat are apples, mandarins and all kinds of berries. I also love bananas and kiwifruit. I occasionally have grapes, melons, paw paw and pineapples. In summer I love mangoes and my ultimate favourite - nectarines!!

Oh and avocado - I eat it almost daily but I don't really count it as a fruit although technically it is. Same with tomatoes.
  • mrtoaster
    mrtoaster Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff, I usually eat 3 or 4 portions a day. It's the perfect snacking food
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a serving of fruit a day but I eat 5-7 servings of vegetables.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit everyday. I was eating the individual cups of pineapple tidbits regularly, but I decided to go with the fresh over the packaged. Lately I've been eating a lot of grapes and strawberries. Mmm.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    I eat frozen grapes by the pound pretty much. Try it - seedless red grapes - pluck 'em and clean 'em and package them up (I portion out 200g) - then freeze overnight. They hit the spot!! (I don't like grapes very well when they aren't frozen...but they are like little sugar bombs of slushy goodness when frozen!)
  • dottheallison
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have always liked firm green grapes (especially very cold, but not frozen) - but I have come to love bananas, oranges, and watermelon. Though generally fruit is not my thing, I'm more a sweet pepper or rich salad type. But I'm workin' on it!
    Today I ate a small banana with breakfast, and some frozen fruit for an afternoon snack. You could try refrigerating whatever you choose before you eat it, or conversely bring it to room temp. You might find that you enjoy the difference in taste one way or the other. Try having it with something else, like almond milk, a tiiny bit of nutella, peanut butter, honey, etc - unless of course the "price" calorie wise is your real issue. In which case my suggestion would be to have a HALF of something at a time and throw the rest in a ziplock.

It may even help to process your produce before you put it away from the store. Like core/cut apples in half and throw portion sizes into baggies with a wedge of lime, cut oranges in half, pluck your grapes into handfuls, slice up that pineapple, etc...

Hope some of that helps!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Every day! Apples, Clemetines and bananas mostly but I keep frozen fruit to change up my smoothies, often through raisins in my oatmeal and i loooove blueberries in season.

However if you're not a fan but you get a lot of veggies then I wouldnt worry too much ;)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fruit is awesome and it needs to be eaten in large quantities every day!!! For every bite of fruit you take, that is a bite that you are getting nutrients, fiber, water, carbohydrates, anti-oxidants, minerals, fat, protein, etc. It is one bite of something else that you now don't need to take.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit everyday.. Love it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Fruit is awesome and it needs to be eaten in large quantities every day!!! For every bite of fruit you take, that is a bite that you are getting nutrients, fiber, water, carbohydrates, anti-oxidants, minerals, fat, protein, etc. It is one bite of something else that you now don't need to take.

Not everyone does well with large quantities of fruit every day. I get the same good stuff from veggies. True story.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do eat ALOT of veggies, so I am sure that makes up for it.
    I suppose avo and tomato are technically fruit too - so that is a help :)
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    I enjoy strawberries, watermelon, and pineapple (all of which are 50-75 calories for a full cup). If you just want to meet the recommended fruit servings for your day, try to sneek them in to some of your recipes. Here are some of the things I like to do:
    - add dehydrated apples to oatmeal with honey or to nonfat yogurt
    - chicken salad is good with grapes/apples/raisins or cranberries (cut up or dried)
    - add strawberries/apples/raisins/cranberries/mandarin oranges to a fresh green salad
    - do a stir fry with veggies and chicken and add pineapple or mandarin oranges
    - try sugar-free jello for dessert with some fruit added in
    Hope this helps!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and eat it daily. Whatever happens to be available at any given time.
    Watermelon.
    Blueberries
    Strawberries
    Kiwifruit
    Pineapple
    Grapefruit
    Bananas
    Apples
    Oranges
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love fruit, especially berries and bananas. I would rather "spend" around a 100 calories for a banana than on one of those crap 100 calories packs lol
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Who here loves fruit?
    I never have been a fan of most fruits and that has got worse since joing MFP.
    Fruit is so "expensive" cals wise... don't you think??
    I am struggling to get a peice or two eaten most days... a real mission!

I have the opposite problem. Love fruit.
  • Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    3 weeks ago? No! But I've always had digestive problems. And after trying a slew of medicines, juices, vitamins, etc I started eating 5 times a day, 2-3 meals being strictly fruits or vegetables. And where everything else I have tried has failed, this did it for me. So a big YES!
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Fruit is one of the things I appreciate most in this world.
  • seashman
    seashman Posts: 51
    Options
    It's a seasonal thing...I eat a -ton- of fruit in the summer (strawberries, apricots, plums, peaches, watermelon, etc.) but in the winter I'll hardly eat any, since most of my favorites are out of season. But right now I eat several servings a day. The amount of watermelon alone that I've eaten in the past week is borderline obscene!