nothing eaten and I'm not hungry?!

Options
2»

Replies

• dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options
    you need to eat something every 4 hrs otherwise your blood sugar will play havoc. it doesnt need to be much each time but you need to get into the habit of fueling your body otherwise you will go into starvation mode and your muscles will break down and start wasteing. i agree with seeing a dietician to set you on a good eating plan
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a funny thing... if the brain keeps sending hunger signals and you don't eat, it will stop sending those signals. Happens with people. Happens with animals. Saw it all the time working as a vet tech. It's a survival mechanism. And when the brain stops sending hunger signals, it also sends signals to slow down your other body processes. In other words... your metabolism slows down.

And if there's one thing I learned from working in an animal hospital, food is the best appetite stimulant. Get a dog or cat that isn't eating for whatever reason, and you often have to force feed it to get it to start eating again.

One odd day here or there with no appetite is fine. Normal even. When it happens regularly, it's becoming a problem.

I'm worried I'm setting myself back and slowing down. However, I think tomorrow may be a better day, or I at least hope so! I'll try eating more frequent.
  • michelleindeed
    michelleindeed Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast, I don't get hungry... in fact I can go a while without eating.... but if I do, I feel like I can't stop. :( If that makes any since... Personally, I like not eating ... but I get yelled at, by a lot of people if I don't. No win for me

you just described me! If I don't eat breakfast, I can go until about two or three before I start to get a little hungry. (I am drinking water all day though)
    But I have people say.....you CAN'T skip breakfast....it's the most important meal of the day. So I tried. By 9:00 I was thinking....the clock must be broken.....it just HAS to be lunch time.......feed me feed me feed me!

I can go to about 4-6 depending on the day, but wow... you are the first person I have meet like that... :drinker:

On my day off from work, if I don't eat breakfast I'll get to almost 2pm without realizing I hadn't had anything to eat, and I have to /make/ myself eat, because I'm not hungry.
  • revncarmichael
    revncarmichael Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did not know that about animals! Wow! Thanks for the info. :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Well I've been eating fewer calories, but just because I'm not as hungry. It's day two this has happened, and I even have a slight headache, like I usually get when I don't eat. But my stomach isn't begging for food. I'll see how tomorrow goes, if it continues, I may look onto medical assistance. I don't want to set myself back!

I get a headache when my blood sugar is low. I sometimes don't feel hungry, but I get crabby and I can tell I'm hungry even though my stomach isn't complaining. As soon as I eat something - which I know to do when I get a headache - I awaken my appetite and my body starts talking to me again.

The French talk about eating creating an appetite. That's partly because thinking about eating changes our insulin levels, salivation/alpha amylase, etc. You can teach yourself not to feel it, but it's not a good idea. I think there's a difference between eating healthy, listening to a body sending good signals, and just not being hungry (and not eating) and learning to ignore your body.

I do, however, agree with the person who says a tuna subway sandwich would fill me up for the day.

But when you get a headache - EAT! That is not good.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Usually when I am like this I am about to come down with a vomitting bug, or a migraine.
  • revncarmichael
    revncarmichael Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use to have this problem. Now I eat high protein like scrambled eggs, canadian bacon...then it some almonds about 10am or fruit. Pancake and syrup sets me up for a sugar drop. I also cut out all diet soda...what a difference in my weight loss. Hope this helps you. :smile:
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    The tuna was filling. Tomorrow I'm going food shopping for more things so I can eat better than subway and salads. I'm not purposely trying to eat so little, I just watch my intake so much that it happens. Them when I eat when not hungry, my body sends a message to the brain that says, you over ate!! But I should be back to normal tomorrow. I have been a bit depressed.
  • SALLAIN88
    SALLAIN88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    From what I have learned for myself it is important to eat 5 times a day to keep that metabolism going. I started this mid-april and have lost almost 17 pounds with this eating pattern and then I joined this. I too find that at times I am not hungry but I do have something so I stay on track.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I rarely get hungry unless i excersise - try going for a jog!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    The headache could be a sign you are hungry. I get a headache before my stomach tells me I'm hungry. It sucks, I'd rather have the stomach pang.

That being said, if I'm really stressed or depressed I won't feel like eating. A few days of eating light is okay, just as long as it's not a habit.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    Everyone has been so helpful! Tomorrow is a better day and I think I can manage by waking up early and eatinh better.
  • kattbyrd67
    kattbyrd67 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat a lot of food, try eating foods that are more calorie dense. Maybe that will help you....
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Try working out, it will boost your appetite. Living a few days on 800cal won't starve you but you'll be less likely to go for a workout.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Dsi, even when I'm not hungry, the headache usually tells me I am. O.o More often than not, I'm not hungry, but when I get the headache, then I know I need something. The few times I did ignore the headache, I got shaky and the ocean would suddenly slosh in my ears followed by a deafening feeling. Don't deprive yourself. Just because your stomach isn't sending signals, your body definitely is! *Hands banana* Don't make me drive over to your house to give you one!