Weekends are a MOFO

Options
It seems that no matter how hard I try the weekends always kick my butt. I'm really the only one in my family trying to lose weight, but every adult in my family is over weight. We go out and eat every Saturday as a family and it is always like a reward for staying on my program all week. How do I get out of this habit??? Any suggestions would help! Also if this has been covered before in another post too freakin bad because we are going over it again! :wink:

Replies

• brandy2076
    brandy2076 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That is a tough one - but maybe work a way to get it within your calorie goals for the day. Maybe work out a little harder to have more wiggle room? Family can be rough when you are the only one who is concentrating on their health. Other than that - just don't go. Or meet up with them afterwards?
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    is that the only meal that you are indulging in all wk? if so dont worry! you need a little wiggle room.or if they are needing to watch what they are eating, make sure you dont order appetizers, stay away from chains that offer "freebies", like chips and salsa, bread, rolls, etc. they will kill your entire day! i dont like to eat at mexican food places cuz they always have chips and salsa and i love them! we eat out often and it hasnt really affected me too much. i always try to look up what i am eating and then enter that before we go and then dont look at the menu to change my mind! you are doing great! dont use the entire weekend though. its hard to get back on track.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    Hook Em was the first thing that I wanted to say before even reading what you typed... sorry lol
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers! Not going isn't an option my wife is going with or with out me! I just need that self control!
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    if this is your cheat meal, make it on an active day. And watch your portions. You will feel better about it when its all said and done. You can still have a great meal, just don't eat the whole thing. split your plate or box up half of it before even touching it.
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    Hook Em was the first thing that I wanted to say before even reading what you typed... sorry lol

Heck Yes!
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    Box up half the meal first is a great idea!!!!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could eat something healthy before you go so you won't be as hungry and not as tempted to eat so much. Order something small that you can enjoy, or order a salad with just veggies or fruit or a light menu. You didn't say where you go out to eat so maybe there is something on the menu that you can order and not do so badly.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Figure out where you're going out to eat, look up the nutritional facts online and choose something that isn't too bad. My husband likes to go to steakhouses and grills so I usually get some version of grilled chicken or fish with veggies or baked potato for the sides. At this point I know EXACTLY what I would get at pretty much any restaurant in our area.
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    It's the mexican food places that kill me too. Chips and salsa or Olive Garden dang bread sticks!
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going out to eat, I will usually try to eat something beforehand, a salad, some fruit, something that is not going to blow my calories too far out, and drink some water, and then by the time we get somewhere and wait for the food, I'm feeling less hungry.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Going out once a week like this may be a positive thing: short-term overfeeding helps to keep your leptin levels up while dieting. Leptin promotes appetite control.
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    When you go out for a nice meal, skip the nice drinks. Opt for water. If you really want to splurge on a soda, ask for diet soda or (even better) seltzer with lime or lemon. Always ask for water with your additional drink. When the first drink runs out, do not get a refill. Limit yourself to the first glass. And ask for a doggie bag when your meal arrives. I always consider walking out of a restaurant with a box as a "badge of honor".

If your friends and family enjoy eating on the weekends, try to get them to eat a little healthier with you. Try restaurants that focus on farm-to-table, or are vegetarian-friendly. Offer to host a potluck at your place, and decide on a theme. If you bring your wife out to dinner on a date, go for a stroll in the park with her beforehand. It's romantic, and will get both your metabolisms working before dinner!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Make better choices in your food intake. I have no problem telling a chef how I want my food cooked. I want nothing extra don't cook it in butter or oil. Don't add anything extra. Look to see if the place you are going to has a calorie guide and choose ahead of time what you are going to have. So far the only place I fail at is a chinese buffet and there I get a lot less than I used to and go for the seafood stuff as it's always lower in calories than anything else, even with other things added. But I still tend to go over on those days. Any place else I've found I can stay within my calorie intake and be full and have a tasty meal. If I know I'm going out I also eat very very light for the day so that I can have the bulk of my calories for that meal. Don't be afraid to ask what things are cooked in ( as in butter and oil). I guess I just don't understand how hard people make this. It's not hard at all. If you go have pizza, eat one slice and fill up on salad with little dressing, or even say no pick someplace else to go so I can too. (if you don't have enough calories left to enjoy pizza).
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When you can't avoid those things and sometime you just can't, there are ways to make them less damaging to your overall progress.

Try to choose the place with a few healthy options, I avoid buffets at all costs don't really like them anyway.

Skip appetizers, bread baskets, chips and desserts. Really hard I know, unless you can stop at one piece of bread. Bread is my weekness :(

Always drink water before leaving the house and order it first thing when you arrive at the restaurant. If I have any apples at home I eat one on the way. They tend to be filling because of the fiber .

I ask to have half of my meal boxed up right away, that seems to help and I can always have the other half the next day.

Try to make that your cheat day, either work-out a bit more or adjust the rest of your day to accommodate that meal.

This is a long journey and you learn lots of coping skills along the way! Hang in there!
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    I guess what I'm saying is I have no will power when we go eat out and I need to suck it up and stop being a big time wuss. But knowledge is power and y'all have given me some great ideas to fight that urge to over indulge!
  • theycallmebubba
    Options
    I have the same problem with friends and family. When I know where we are going ahead of time I go to the companies website and choose my meals based on the nutritional info. It has saved my *kitten* many times. I have never regretted it because the things I might naturally choose are usually the worst ones on the menu. Actually knowing how bad they are for me helps me not to choose them. Just my two cents.
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    Going out once a week like this may be a positive thing: short-term overfeeding helps to keep your leptin levels up while dieting. Leptin promotes appetite control.

I like this tell me more!!!!
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    It's the mexican food places that kill me too. Chips and salsa or Olive Garden dang bread sticks!

You just need to learn to say no....I love Olive Gardens bread sticks but I can fit it in my calories because I choose to eat ministronie soup and have ONE breadstick with one bowl of salad with the dressing on the side so I can control my own portion. Eat the chips and salsa and only have 5 chips. It's on you to control what you eat even if you can't control where. This is your lifestyle and your challenge if your ready to accept it.
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    OVEREATING is never a good thing, that's bs.