New to working out. Need help of you wonderful people.

Options
Ok so...I am 5'1 around 200 pounds, heavy chested with most of my fat at my stomach. I have started eating properly and have noticed that even within 3 days I feel less bloated and swollen. I am going to be joining a gym in about a week but I have no idea where to start. I never excercised before as I used to dance and play hockey (I was 140 pounds then). I tried jogging last week and I felt like I was having a heart attack and a stroke lol. If you guys can give me any pointers as to how to start and on what it would be great. thanks! xoxox

Replies

• Alexia_E_K
    Alexia_E_K Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started jogging. It was horrible at first. I actually enjoy it now. I have the same stats as you. I am way too chicken to go into a gym. Good luck at the gym.
  • Zalect
    Zalect Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is the best option. Burns the most calories, and very low resistance on joints. Your legs won't feel like **** the next day too, so maintaining an active exercise program in those first few weeks is much easier.
  • heartsherps
    heartsherps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts 5x5 and LOVE it. My cardio sucks majorly, so I enjoy the short sweet workouts of free weights. I have also been sore since I started despite the workouts themselves being easyish. That's a good indication it's working, right?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Once you join a gym, you should get a free assessment and program written up for you. Just ask :)
  • IntenseRSX04
    Options
    weight training is the best cardio, other than that the stairmill is great
  • lanettamoore
    Options
    i started out on eliptical jus 30 min on intervals..
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's in the gym's best interest for you to a) find exercises you enjoy so that you'll keep doing them, and b) do them correctly and safely so that you don't hurt yourself and sue them. Therefore, most gyms are happy to have someone on staff show you how to use a given piece of equipment properly. Try to pick a less-busy time, and ask whoever checks your membership if they can either show you themselves or get someone else to show you.

Try out something new each time you go, or at least each week. Some machines are fairly intuitive, you can start with several of them and just ask for any pointers on each one, picking a few for upper body and a few for lower. Do some weights and some cardio each time -- try the elliptical one day, treadmill another, bike a third. See what you like the best. Once you figure out what works for you, you can settle into a routine with just a few machines, but it's still good to mix it up and add in others fairly regularly.

My best advice is, don't overdo it! Don't make yourself so sore or so exhausted that you come to hate it. Work hard, but know your limits, and at least at first err on the side of still having something left. Then reward yourself with something yummy and high in protein!
  • jennozis
    jennozis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    THanks guys! sorry for the late reply, but thanks!!!
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    i was pretty fat, now a new man add