I KNEW starting to EXERCISE again would cause weight GAIN

Options
I am sooooo discouraged today. I was exercising at least 4 times a week and eating healthy and not losing a pound. I started MFP and calculated calories and have stayed on track. I had some dental work and a migrain and stopped exercising because of the pain. The weight started to fall off. NOW, I started to exercise yesterday and gained two pounds. It makes me want to stop exercising. GRRRRR

Replies

• thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Your muscles retain water when you start working out. It's actually a good thing, and it's completely temporary. Don't miss the forest for the trees. Having a fit, healthy body is so much more important than a number on a scale.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i feel the same - but i am additcted to the way that excersise makes me feel so i cant help it.

:(
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How temporary is temporary? days? weeks? a month? Im in a similar situation- exercise for 3 weeks & no weight loss.
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Your muscles retain water when you start working out. It's actually a good thing, and it's completely temporary. Don't miss the forest for the trees. Having a fit, healthy body is so much more important than a number on a scale.

Exactly! :)
  • thistimeismytime
    Options
    How temporary is temporary? days? weeks? a month? Im in a similar situation- exercise for 3 weeks & no weight loss.

Well, I think it's different for everyone. Make sure you're drinking a lot of water to help flush your system. But the fact is that most women are really concerned about FAT loss, not just weight loss. If you're eating at a deficit, you can be 100% assured that this weight gain is NOT fat. So many people stop working out because of this initial gain, and it's just really self-defeating. Just be patient, eat right and exercise, and change WILL come in time. This kind of change takes time and patience. :flowerforyou:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I have heard from days to months...It really depends on how each invividual's body responds, given everything is done right. :) Not all exercises are done right.
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Looking at the changes in your body, I respect what you have to say. I was on Weight Watchers and in six weeks did not lose a pound. I did lose inches. We have a trainer here at work and I'm going to have her measure me again. After over two months of exercise, it was nice to see the scale drop 9 lbs in three weeks with no exercise. What if I at least get to ONEderland and THEN exercise?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Looking at the changes in your body, I respect what you have to say. I was on Weight Watchers and in six weeks did not lose a pound. I did lose inches. We have a trainer here at work and I'm going to have her measure me again. After over two months of exercise, it was nice to see the scale drop 9 lbs in three weeks with no exercise. What if I at least get to ONEderland and THEN exercise?

That might be a result of delayed response? :)

I have heard lots of good stories on dieting first to reach a number then adding back exercise. I guess you can try it.
  • Impman66
    Impman66 Posts: 16
    Options
    Is it true that muscle weighs more than fat??? Not too sure and I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if you check your BMI, I am sure it will be less than when you started exercising.
  • jennipea382
    jennipea382 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I started working out a lot more.. I've gone on a walk/run the last 4 days and ate decently well, but I somehow gained 2 pounds today! I remember hearing somewhere that your muscles can swell when you start working out more so I'm hoping that's what it is!

Impman66 - If you have the same physical amount of muscle and fat, yes, the muscle weighs more. Another way to look at it is that a pound of muscle is physically smaller than a pound of fat. It is denser.
  • thistimeismytime
    Options

Well, it's certainly your body and your choice, but wouldn't it be cool to lose the fat and reveal some nice, toned muscles underneath? You CAN do that with a combination of lifting weights, cardio, and eating at a deficit. If you wait until you reach a certain weight, you'll STILL gain some pounds when you start exercising, and you'll have lost all that time that you could have been using to get fit and strong. I'm not saying that weight isn't important, but just don't let yourself be a slave to the scale. You shouldn't change your plans or feel bad about your progress just because the scale says you're up a couple of pounds. The scale is just ONE tool to measure your progress, and it's not the best tool either. Also think about it this way--you're the only one who sees the number on that scale in the morning, but EVERYONE will see the changes in your body when you exercise. I really do wish you the best :smile:
  • ItzPSGina62
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    Is it true that muscle weighs more than fat??? Not too sure and I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if you check your BMI, I am sure it will be less than when you started exercising.
    A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Just like a ton of feathers weighs the same has a ton of bricks. However, their densities are different.

fat-v-muscle.jpg
  • ItzPSGina62
    Options
    LOVE THE PICTURE!!!!
  • Impman66
    Impman66 Posts: 16
    Options
    Nice! Put me off fat forever!
  • LiamGTR
    LiamGTR Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You've put muscle on, don't fret.

Who cares what scales say?

Lets be honest, we train to improve our LOOKS.

As if a man is gonna pick you up and say "oh you look AMAZING, but you weight ...kg, that's too much for me".. bull****, he's gonna see you and think WOW, she looks incredible.

regardless of what scales say.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're not going over in calories? If your level is set to something other than sedentary, you may be counting exercise twice and not realize it. Another thing, your muscles retain water and muscle is heavier than fat (see the picture above), although you wouldn't have gained a lot of muscle weight over that period.

I would also recommend tracking your body fat percentage, weighing at the same time/day per week and being consistent with it. I prefer to weigh first thing in the morning before I eat/drink that way nothing interferes with it. Also track your measurements as well. If you do this maybe every couple weeks, you may see that you are losing inches and really that's a better indication than the number on the scale.

Don't stop exercising though, it has numerous health benefits. Isn't the point really to be healthier and to look/feel better? I know when I consistently exercise I feel a lot better about myself and the way I look.

ETA: I just looked at your profile and noticed you had a thyroid problem. That may be hindering your progress as well, you should definitely bring that up to your dr and see what he recommends you do.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I decided yesterday I was putting away the scale for a while. I was starting to let it determine the type of mood I was in that day and that's not fair to my family or myself. Fat loss is more important to me than the number on the scale. When I step on it, I see unhealthy (since it says I'm almost 30lbs overweight), but the fact is that I AM health. My body fat percentage is within the healthy range (barely! but it's there!) according to the nutrition clinic I recently visited at the hospital here on post. They were pleased with that. I am happy with that. I am not happy with my weight though SO... I decided I'd only weigh in at her office when I visit and have them take my body fat percentage occasionally so we can keep track of how things are going. It's just a number. It doesn't define who we are or how "healthy" we are. :smile: Yes I still aim to reach 160lbs, but for now, I will focus on here and now rather than how far I still have to go.
  • N0703989
    N0703989 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    *Pulling faces at the picture*

I just had to add to this thread. I've not long started using a workout DVD. So far I've dropped 16 inches in the last two weeks, but Zero weight loss. I'm over 230lbs so I've got of inches spare. It would be nice if I weighed less too but I guess it will come down eventually. The picture is a great visual aid to what's been happening inside my body!