Baked potatoes

Options
Fozzi43
Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
Are they ok to eat with just a tiny bit of butter and/or baked beans? I just wondered if you can eat too much baked potatoes. Got some from the market and they are huge!

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Options
    Anyone...
  • taralc1
    taralc1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You can use butter..it's all about moderation. I use butter spray or salsa.
  • taralc1
    taralc1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Also if they are that big..maybe only eat half? I usually have one once a week.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It depends on what else you're eating and if you're exercising - I'm a sucker for a baked potato (cheese and beans, tuna and mayo and onion, chilli...) but know that I'll try and watch my carbs for the rest of the day, especially if I'm not working out. A little more context may generate more answers.
  • supermoo2
    Options
    Try to get the smallest you can. If you must have butter have a small scraping. Otherwise a low fat cream cheese, or cottage cheese are ideal to have with them. Then load up with veges - I put on peppers (red and yellow for variety of colour), cherry tomatoes, onions (steamed) and mushrooms. If you like corn, this can be good on them too.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes are healthy if eaten in the appropriate size. Have you tried baked sweet potatoes?
  • kdfulgham
    kdfulgham Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No forbidden foods, it is all about moderation, and calories in, calories out. Enjoy!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I like baked potato with butter and cheese and baked beans - or with olive oil and salad. If the potato is really big then I cut it in half and cook one half one day and the other half the next. So it lasts for two meals.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have baked potatoes a couple times a week. Sometimes I use black pepper and a pat of unsalted butter, sometimes a squirt of ranch dressing, sometimes a sprinkle of shredded cheese. There's nothing wrong with potatoes or any toppings if they fit your calories and macros.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :wink: Try using a healthy spread tho and not too much,but if you are having beans why do you need the butter.???? And try sweet potato too better for you.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    but know that I'll try and watch my carbs for the rest of the day, especially if I'm not working out. A little more context may generate more answers.

I have done 30 mins of HIIT and 30 mins of strength, squats with weights etc..I plan on having grilled chicken with tons of veggies for later?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes but I will have to admit I noticed a dramatic change in my body composition when I switched from white potatoes to sweet potatoes, They are lower on the glycemic index and are also rich in nutrients.

But after saying that, I agree with the rest of the folks that say we can have them if it is in moderation. A good, whole, from the ground food is going to be better for you than a box of processed crap any day of the week.

And as for my preference of what I like on a white baked potato, give me a dollop of sour cream any day baby!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    with butter wonderful but as not really allowed that now I go for cottage cheese with pineapple! Yum! A little of what you fancy is not harmful!!
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into your Macros and calories I guess you could eat anything!

I often have a baked potato (100gms) and put a little low fat salad dressing on it or cottage cheese....

Sometimes I even chop them up, spray with oil spray and bake them... CHIPPPPSSSS!!!!!
  • Emily_fitat30
    Emily_fitat30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have them all the time, rather than using butter put your cheese on the potato 10mins before it comes out of the oven. Babybels work really well, delicious with lots of salad :)
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly converting over to a sweet jacket spud, but has to be the orange flesh ones - I tried a white flesh sweet potato and found it not horrible, but not quite the same as the orange fleshed ones...but I'm drifting away from the topic - I just tend to put a little bit of butter (normally a light olive oil butter, what I usually get) into it.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I like to make a sweet potato soup, I lightly boil sweet potato, carrots peas cabbage and green beans then blend it ...it's yummy so will try a sweet baked potato..thanks peeps!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Hey there!! Here is a topic that I posted about the same thing a few months back - I started eating them regularly with veggies & a very small amount of butter on them after I read all of the answers!! I say eat them - but in moderation just like everything else. :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/603381-potatoes-good-or-bad?hl=Potatoes+good+or+bad
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    White potatoes are a pretty controversial food. Some nutrition experts put them in the same catergory as white bread instead of vegetable. Personally, I limit them.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Are they ok to eat with just a tiny bit of butter and/or baked beans? I just wondered if you can eat too much baked potatoes. Got some from the market and they are huge!

I don't remember where I read it but I heard once that when having "white" carbs it is a good thing to add a fat, as it helps your body balance the breakdown/digestion. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. Either way, I would say, use a little, make sure it melts so that you feel you have more and enjoy. Butter can definitely be in your diet, as long as you are not consuming half the stick ;)