1,200 calories limit? Can anyone help?

Options
I have just joined and put in my height and weight (4'11 and 133 pounds) and that i wanted to lose 2lb a week and will exercise for 45 mins twice a week... i was given a daily calorie goal of 1200 a day and told i would only lose 3.7lb by the end of September eating this way. This is frustrating- I know guidelines say not to go below 1200 but clearly im very short and I need less, why can't they actually tailor it to my needs so that I can lose 2lb a week like I requested?! Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    your 2 lb/week is double the suggested 1 lb/week.

You are right there is a general problem with applying a blanket minimum of 1200 calories here. It messes up the maths for many.
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You can set your own cals. I am short and when I was serious about losing weight I set it at 1000 just for a few weeks. it is too demoralizing losing a tiny bit each week. I wasn't hungry at all.

People here will be very negative about going under 1200, but I agree with you, when you are very small your bmr may be below 1200. Just make sure your nutrition is good. Look up your bmr and tdee and see what they say.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This is one method you can use to set up your own limits - one of many, I might add.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method

Its the one I personally used, but you can do your own research and decide what you prefer
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    you have only 18 lbs to lose, set your goal for 1 lbs or even 0.5
    going faster will mean you will lose muscles along with fat, so you will hit your goal weight but will be all flubby.

also, if you exercise, your daily limit will increase, - everything you burn on top of your activity level you can eat back
  • lidiflyful
    Options
    That is good advice, and by the sounds of it you need less. I have my goal set to 1200 as I am 5'7 and weigh 168 pounds. I find it hard to believe that you need as many calories as I do! See the 1200 as a guideline, and maybe look around the internet or ask your doctor what how you can safely lower you calories to suit your needs/

If anyone is negative ignore them, if you have done your research and are losing weight in a safe a responsible manner you do not have to answer to anyone.

I hope you figure it out! Take care x
  • alicejcarroll
    alicejcarroll Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks- I know it is more than the suggested 1lb a week i guess I just wanted to go more quickly, and as it does also give you that option I thought it would just lower the calories to whatever I needed to lose 2lb a week. I know 2lb a week isnt really that sensible but i didnt know the calculator would just refuse to do it!! :)

I do think though that even to lose 1lb a week I don't need 1200 calories a day at 4'11 and 133 pounds so I am going to set my own calories to 1,000 which is managable for me, and see how I go on along with the exercise. I just started Zumba and it is fantastic!

Thanks everyone!x
  • alicejcarroll
    Options
    i changed my calories manually to 1,000 and this way I can lose 1.1lb a week. I would clearly have to be very hungry to lose 2lb a week so I am going to stick to this one!

Thanks again for all your help. It sucks being 4'11!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    at your height and weight, you need to do more exercise than twice a week. The general recommendation is about three to five times a week to make exercise a viable weight loss tool.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Thanks- I know it is more than the suggested 1lb a week i guess I just wanted to go more quickly, and as it does also give you that option I thought it would just lower the calories to whatever I needed to lose 2lb a week. I know 2lb a week isnt really that sensible but i didnt know the calculator would just refuse to do it!! :)

I do think though that even to lose 1lb a week I don't need 1200 calories a day at 4'11 and 133 pounds so I am going to set my own calories to 1,000 which is managable for me, and see how I go on along with the exercise. I just started Zumba and it is fantastic!

Thanks everyone!x

Instead of guessing, why don't you go over to fitnessfrog.com and figure out you TDEE and then you will know exactly how many calories you should eat?

I did it for you, at 4" 11", 133, and 29, fitness frog says your recommended calorie intake with no exercise is 1643 per day. so, if you want to lose 2lbs per week, you subtract 1000 calories from that to create a deficit, and that puts you at 643 per day. Good luck with that. You should set your goal at 1/2 a pound per week, which will keep you at around 1393 per day, which might be livable. If you want to lose 1 lb per week, eat 1,143 per day. Your choice.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the 1200 yet? MFP tells me I will lose about .2 lbs a week on that but I usually lose at least 1 lb, maybe more. I'm 5'0 as well, and my BMR according to MFP is about 1130 calories.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eat more than 1200 calories please.

http://www.quickbmr.com/what-is-tdee.html

go here to find out your tdee (total daily energy expenditure) and that'll help you find your BMR (basal metobolic rate). BMR is what you would need to consume, at MINIMUM, if your body were just laying in bed all day.

you should be eating in between you TDEE and BMR. unfortunatly some people get confused and eat below their BMR, which causes their weight lose to suffer.

eat more, work hard, feel awesome.
  • MarkAWhipple
    MarkAWhipple Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that someone disagreeing with you is not (necessarily) them being negative TO you. I am not an expert, but I know I want my weight loss to be pure fat loss, not muscle loss. I know we have to be careful how quickly we lose to make sure we're losing fat and not muscle (or fooling ourselves by just losing water weight). I'm not sure the best way to do this, but the majority of people seem to think it's best to go for 1 pound a week. There are probably ways that you can do more, though, by carefully monitoring exercise and food intake. Have you spoken to a nutritionist and/or personal trainer? We have some very energetic people in these forums who are more than willing to give advice (like me) but we don't really have ANY of your personal history like a doctor/trainer/nutritionist would so please take anything we say with a large grain of salt (followed by at least 2 glasses of water).
  • alicejcarroll
    Options
    MarkAWhipple, im not taking offence at anything anyone saysI am sure people are just trying to help, which indeed i asked them to do, and if they come across negative to me then i assume that they didnt mean to :)

To the lady who said that the exercise i am doing is not enough (jacqueling), i also walk at a brisk pace for at least an hour every day- if somewhere is walkable, then i am walking to it (in my fit flop trainers lol!) Do you think this is enough along with 2 45 minute exercise classes a week? Im really not sure I can face doing more, but of course, needs must. I work a full time job and quite long hours so im just fitting in what I can. I walk more than an hour a day at weekends and i do try and walk fast rather than a leisurely stroll. You said 'at your weight and height' - did you mean i would need to do less exercise if I was taller or were you just pointing out that I was heavy for my height?

neverstray- it was very kind of you to take the time to do that for me. thankyou.
  • alicejcarroll
    Options
    Also, neverstray-643 calories a day would be pretty awful! :) Maybe I'll scrap that plan.....
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have just joined and put in my height and weight (4'11 and 133 pounds) and that i wanted to lose 2lb a week and will exercise for 45 mins twice a week... i was given a daily calorie goal of 1200 a day and told i would only lose 3.7lb by the end of September eating this way. This is frustrating- I know guidelines say not to go below 1200 but clearly im very short and I need less, why can't they actually tailor it to my needs so that I can lose 2lb a week like I requested?! Has anyone else experienced this?
    Keep in mind that your not eating much food = not able to get much nutrition. Even if you pump yourself with vitamins and veg you probably wont have the things in your body to absorb them (like enough fat for example).

Also I'm 5'7 and they recommended 1200 for me. I decided this wasnt healthy and upped to netting 1700 since this was still 300 cals below the recommended intake for your average women to get 97% of the recommended amount of nutrition in your diet. Turns out mfps math can be pretty wrong. If you can't move enough to fit close to your average healthy women I don't think the solution is to stop eating. There are plenty 4 footers on this site who eat more then that. Theres also plenty people taller then that who eat like you right now and I know a few of them have suffered nutritional deficiencies including my 5'1" sister for not eating enough.

Lately I've been eating about 3000 cals a day with exercise and manage to maintain my 120 lbs at 5'7. Trust me, you can definately eat more and lose weight, even if you were sedentary. If you want to lose tons of weight a week by not eating expect it to come backwith a vengence. Because when people start eating like that they deplete forums of energy in their body that well come back when you start eating a sustainable amount of food and it does weigh weight (look up glycogen depletion).
  • arionaalexis37
    arionaalexis37 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same calorie limit. I have lost 5 pounds in two weeks so far (I started at 131 and I am down to 126). I have found that it isn't necessarily about how many calories you are using but what you are using them on. I would stick to the 1200 calories a day but during your 45 minute exercise, make sure that you give it your all! I wake up at 5 every morning and do a 4 mile walk before work and at night I go to the gym for 45 minutes. So far I have seen results and so has the scale! Again, stick to the 1200 calories because eating any less will only make you tired and worn down but make sure that your exercise makes up for it.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Also, since you are pretty close to your goal weight, it is generally recommended, at least on here, that you lose weight more slowly as you get close to goal. The 2 pounds per week is generally recommended for those of us that have a LONG road ahead of us (weight-wise). There is a significant number of the MFP community that has over 100 pounds to lose, for example.

If in doubt, I recommend asking your doctor. S/he should know you and your needs a lot better than us strangers.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
  • alicejcarroll
    Options
    Thaks everyone! The clear message im getting is that i need to exercise more if I am going to be able to get the nutrition i need to be healthy. I hate exercise (except the Zumba!) , but i will try and up the ante somewhat. I live and work in london and do a city type job, and tend to be busy in the evenings with various things, but i will try and prioritise my exercise as you all suggest. It can be hard after a long day at work which is largely why I have gained the weight in the first place!

I havent been to a doctor in about ten yrs except to get contraception etc , im not sure how legitimate id feel making an appt just to ask her how best for me to lose 14lb!

thanks again for all your advice
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi;

I am 4'10" and 59 years old, so I know what you are talking about. Check out the Petite Advantage Diet book by Jim Karas. It's a diet and exercise plan designed especially for short women. I eat 1100 calories most days. If you choose wisely, you can eats lots of food for that amount. I have lost almost 20 pounds at the rate of 1 or sometimes 2 a week. That includes being on vacation and lots of summertime events. This is the only plan that has worked for me in a very long time.

By the way, I checked this out with my doctor, who assures me that 1100 is ok for a short woman, as long as I feel good with no weakness or dizziness.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I highly recommend following Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. I started 6 weeks ago, have lost 26 lbs since starting, and don't have to count calories. It is absolutely, IMHO, the healthiest way of eating on the planet.